Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boro fans attcked in Rome -3 stabbed

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
eastlondonseagull said:
Wonder whether a few English idiots will decide to tool up and retaliate against Italians during the World Cup...

doubt it, the Italians would have changed sides and become Germans by then :rolleyes:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Uncle Buck said:
Why would they do that?

It was a club clash.

There were Italians in Portugal in 2004 and yet no revenge attacks then and there are always issues when English teams go to Italy for European Club games.

I know, but on the whole we forget club rivalry for England games, don't we. So just wondered whether it might happen.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
eastlondonseagull said:
I know, but on the whole we forget club rivalry for England games, don't we. So just wondered whether it might happen.

Well, although there is the potential for trouble this summer, the last 2 tournaments have passed off without incident. I know sections of this board were up in arms when there was trouble on the Algarve in 2004, but that was not put down as being much to do with the England fans, more pissed up lads on their package holidays. So I doubt people will be looking to pick off Turks.

Anyway the way that the FA has divied up the tickets means you could have get a complete firm out there at one time to have a pop.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
frankfurt have bad fans , england will have shed loads of hooligans out there . Can't see anything other than destruction .

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dougal said:
frankfurt have bad fans , england will have shed loads of hooligans out there . Can't see anything other than destruction .

I do think their will be trouble this summer, but not sure how bad. People said Portugal would be a nightmare, cheap flights, cheapish digs, sun and beer and yet it really did pass off without major incident.

The banning orders, as much as it has annoyed me Englandfans scheme and some of the powers that the authorities now have, seem to have made a difference.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Boro fans seem to be attarcting trouble at the moment, i make that four seperate away European trips that they have been involved in trouble of one form or another (i fan killed in Holland last year) and each time it has been reported as unprovoked attacks by the locals on the Boro fans.

Why have their been no reports (that i have seen) of the other English clubs who have played in Europe this season being involved in any "incidents"?

Are the hoolies of Europe targetting Boro for some unknown reason, or are they just particulary unlucky?

Or is it that there is no smoke without fire?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Uncle Buck said:
I do think their will be trouble this summer, but not sure how bad. People said Portugal would be a nightmare, cheap flights, cheapish digs, sun and beer and yet it really did pass off without major incident.

The banning orders, as much as it has annoyed me Englandfans scheme and some of the powers that the authorities now have, seem to have made a difference.

know what you're saying but this is far bigger than Portugal. The world cup wont come round in europe for a number of years now + add that to the fact it's in Germany who are generally regarded as the enemy( who also will be planning a welcome for the English. ) and its obvious it will go off majorly.

Yes the banning orders will help but IMO that won't even scratch the surface of the amount of hooligans out there for one thing.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dougal said:
know what you're saying but this is far bigger than Portugal. The world cup wont come round in europe for a number of years now + add that to the fact it's in Germany who are generally regarded as the enemy( who also will be planning a welcome for the English. ) and its obvious it will go off majorly.

Yes the banning orders will help but IMO that won't even scratch the surface of the amount of hooligans out there for one thing.

The problem team I suspect this summer could well be Poland.

They have had a growing hooligan issue, kept vaguely under control by an unhinged police force. However this is the first tournament a large numbers of them will be able to afford, it is over the border and oh they get to play Germany in the first round.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Uncle Buck said:

They have had a growing hooligan issue, kept vaguely under control by an unhinged police force. However this is the first tournament a large numbers of them will be able to afford, it is over the border and oh they get to play Germany in the first round.

certainly went off when England played there in the qualifiers and again fans that were tooled up

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uncle Buck said:

So this time they get to invade Germany instead of the other way around.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

enigma said:
They do wield a lot of power. The trouble is, the government havent really put in measures to stop the Ultras either. In fairness to the Ultras as well, they do get treated like absolute shit by the police in Italy as well. The police there are pretty poor.

I would say with the national team, a lot of it stems from Italy not being a particularly patriotic country in the first place. It only unified in the 1800s.

In addition to that, the fact that most Ultras ends are left wing or right wing means even more reasons for division when it comes to the national team.

Unfortunately, Roma has in recent years been infiltrated heavily by far right groups (which often wrong-foots people as many think it is just Rome rival Lazio who have this problem).

At a game a few months ago against Livorno, many banners were unveiled by Roma fans celebrating the holocaust. Roma were subsequently punished with a behind closed-doors game at a neutral venue.

The mayor of Rome recently staged a meeting between Roma's players led by Totti and Jewish Italian concentration camp survivors who were ferried by Mussolini to Hitler's death camps. The mayor did this to try and bring home the reality of the ideology that these Roma fans are now signing up to.

Unfortunately Rome football has a big problem with fascist thugs and I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind this latest outrage.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/feb12f.html

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Unfortunately, Roma has in recent years been infiltrated heavily by far right groups (which often wrong-foots people as many think it is just Rome rival Lazio who have this problem).

At a game a few months ago against Livorno, many banners were unveiled by Roma fans celebrating the holocaust. Roma were subsequently punished with a behind closed-doors game at a neutral venue.

The mayor of Rome recently staged a meeting between Roma's players led by Totti and Jewish Italian concentration camp survivors who were ferried by Mussolini to Hitler's death camps. The mayor did this to try and bring home the reality of the ideology that these Roma fans are now signing up to.

Unfortunately Rome football has a big problem with fascist thugs and I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind this latest outrage.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/feb12f.html

There have been a lot of issues with both Rome teams and this sort of thing.

It is not helped that whenever Roma play an English side they seem to have a pop, a certain amount goes back to the incidents they had with Liverpool in about 1984.

E

enigma

Good point. Its strange as Roma fans always tended to be inner city left wing, working class etc, whereas Lazio were always the right wing, more middle class and from the surrounding region rather than Rome itself. Although Roma were known to have a right wing group, it never surfaced much before this year.

Having said that, a lot of clubs have mixed elements within their support. I think Milan were probably a lot more left wing than they used to be, as with Berlusconi running the countty, this has shifted some of their fans to the right.

The Roma and Lazio fans are known for being some of the worst in terms of attacking fans outside the ground. Juve and Milan rarely get in any trouble, and Inter are known for being more disorderly in the stadium. I seem to remember Roma fans attacking Liverpool fans when they played in the Champions League, and I wouldnt be surprised either if this was their work, particularly as they can call on bigger numbers and have more supporters in the city.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
hampden park said:
doubt it, the Italians would have changed sides and become Germans by then :rolleyes:

The old Romans did conquer the World by using axes. This what the ancient Brits used. The Romans just stabbed them in the heart with the short sword. :O

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
When we played over there the 'Ultras' went up and down on moped/scooters with stupid hat/masks on and bandanas with screwdivers digging them into anyone they could get a hold of. Then nearer the stadium they were leaping out from behind people with thick bike chains and axes.

We had a few non-fatal but serious stabbings over the course of the couple days, I think 30 odd Leeds fans ended up in hospital for one thing or another.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here