Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson slags off Portsmouth

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
In GQ he called it "One of the most depressed towns in Southern England, a place that is arguably too full of drugs, obesity, underachievement and Labour MPs", and the leader of Portsmouth Council now wants him sacked.

I think he should be sacked for not being harsh enough on the place :lolol:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I was speaking to a girl from Portsmouth in a club a few weeks ago and she was a lot more harsh about the place than Johnson has been.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If he'd ever been to Fratton Park (which I'm sure he didn't) it would have been a far more savage hammering. All pretty fair, I'd say.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
The Complete Badger said:
Boris:bowdown:

Funny thing is, he actually visited the uni there in December to open the newsroom where my course is based, and was full of praise for our department. Still, he's pretty much spot on about those that live there. My observations are, from 6 months of being a resident, that the locals are mainly the scum of the earth - everything Boris says and WORSE. However, if you stick to the right places, the town itself isn't actually too bad, and I've seen a LOT worse. Sure it has a few utter HOLES, and it's no Brighton by a long way, but it's nowhere near as bad as the wisdom of nsc would have you believe.

I went to University there too. I think NSC (and Boris) are being kind.

Oct 25, 2003
DJ Leon said:
I went to University there too. I think NSC (and Boris) are being kind.

i think the key phrase there is "WENT"

newcastle WAS a complete dive, and i'd imagine anyone who lived there, say 7-10 years ago would say its a complete shit hole

i'll take the word of someone who lives there now:)

anyway, i've always LOVED boris, this has made me love him even more

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
boris is a hwero isnt he - never holds back

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I lived in Southsea for 6 months last year. To be fair Gunwharf Quays are fantastic and they have worked wonders around there. They have some lovely pubs by the waterside between Southsea and Central Portsmouth. Fratton et al are diabolical, but then no city is perfect.

The planners that built Portsmouth City centre must have been on drugs. It an extremely bizarre construction!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
"Umm Qasr is a city similar to Southampton," remarked UK Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon to a Royal Marine.

The Royal replied: "There's no beer, no prostitutes and people are shooting at us. It's more like Portsmouth".

I live within a short hand-grenade lob of Portsmouth. It's fcuking horrible and I will never forgive the Germans for not doing the job properly in WWII.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
It's known to matelot's as Dog Shit City; not exactly a term of endearment.

Personally, I used to love getting on the M275 & head back to Gods country.

Pompey mooshes talk very strangely too. "Gooing doun toun on a No. Noin Bus!"

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
smudge said:
It's known to matelot's as Dog Shit City; not exactly a term of endearment.

Personally, I used to love getting on the M275 & head back to Gods country.

Pompey mooshes talk very strangely too. "Gooing doun toun on a No. Noin Bus!"

More like "gahn dahn tahn ona nu'er ni'bus". That's assuming that they are able to catch the bus, can count to nine, and are broadly able to tell the time. I think most of them qualify for "taxi tokens" in Pompey by virtue of being disabled or having multiple children by multiple fathers.

Your ears are obviously too delicate these days Smudge!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I have relatives that used to live on the Leigh Park estate. Used to scare the shit of me going down to visit them as a kid. One of my much older cousins was allegedly a very naughty boy when it came to football.

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
pasty said:
I have relatives that used to live on the Leigh Park estate. Used to scare the shit of my gong down to visit them as a kid. One of much older cousins was allegedly a very naughty boy when it came to football.

Technically, Leigh Park is not Portsmouth, it's 'avant. Or Havant to those of us that can pronounce our H's. I have a friend who teaches in Bedhampton, we scared him shitless by telling him it was Leigh Park, and to do some internet research before he went there. Leigh Park is very, very rough, and could be realistically improved by being a testing ground for any number of nerve agents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here