Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bordeaux Collapse

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I think I read earlier that the clubs will all have to sport Visit Qatar badges on their kit for that deal.
Wouldn't surprise me. It's McDonald's Ligue 1 from this coming season. Which doesn't do their global image any further favours.

The French top flight is a reasonable standard. Probably deserves more credit than it gets. I seem to remember Lille taking Aston Villa to penalties over two legs a few months back. Some of the best Premier League talent has been plucked from their league, over the years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Same could be said for Man City these days.

I think Pep is the main reason for our league's imbalance.

Ligue 1 is totally skewed by PSG's financial dominance. Man City are not the biggest spenders in the Premier League.

1000013725.png

This graph is a year out of date, but is still fairly accurate.

It will be interesting to see how Man City do when he leaves.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm off to Bergerac for a fortnight on Sunday, followed by two nights in Bordeaux so will follow this. While the following was published on Wednesday before the deprofessionalisation of Bordeaux, it answers most of the questions that are being posed on this thread:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think Pep is the main reason for our league's imbalance.

Ligue 1 is totally skewed by PSG's financial dominance. Man City are not the biggest spenders in the Premier League.

View attachment 186082
This graph is a year out of date, but is still fairly accurate.

It will be interesting to see how Man City do when he leaves.
Net spend isn't high but they did plenty of business. 260 million-ish in player purchases last year and their wage bill is enormous. Being able to pay the highest wages is probably a better indicator of spending power than transfer fees.

Not that I disagree about Pep but he's not working for free either tbf.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Schalke were weeks from the same situation (if not worse). Fortunately, a late recovery saved relegation to the third tier and likely oblivion as there were major questions about their financial licence.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Liverpool owners FSG pulled out of buying them a couple of weeks ago - I assume as debts were very high

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here