Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Books for boys - age 11-12

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I loved the Weirdstone of Brasingamen and The Moon of Gomrath by Alan Garner.
The Narnia books by C S Lewis
The Silver Sword by Ian Serrailier.
I was given The Dangerous Book for boys about 4 years ago not fiction but worth getting.
Proffessor Brainstorm.
Stig of the Dump.

All great stuff but surely a bit younger than 11 or 12, I read most of those when I was about 8 to 10.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Around that age I started reading John Grisham books, but I also read "His Dark Materials", by Phillip Pullman. Northern Lights, Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass being the 3 books that make up the trilogy, it's actually a top quality trilogy of books, and are well worth reading at that age because, in my opinion, the subject matter is so broad and so engaging that it is very impacting as a story.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Around that age I started reading John Grisham books, but I also read "His Dark Materials", by Phillip Pullman. Northern Lights, Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass being the 3 books that make up the trilogy, it's actually a top quality trilogy of books, and are well worth reading at that age because, in my opinion, the subject matter is so broad and so engaging that it is very impacting as a story.

Yep I agree I love those books. Might be a little beyond him at the moment, but some good suggestions nonetheless.

And to whoever talked about the Narnia books you can never be too old to read those. Classics that I have revisited time and time again and never disappoint.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Some of the suggestions on here are nice, but not realistic - 11yr old boys these days won't read Roald Dahl, CS Lewis or Just William or anything like that.

Popular ones at the moment seem to be:

Percy Jackson
Diary of a Wimpy Kid (a bit comicy but still good)
Cherub series
Wolf Brother series by Michelle Paver

I'd still give Harry Potter a go, although chances are he already knows whether or not he'd like that.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Some of the suggestions on here are nice, but not realistic - 11yr old boys these days won't read Roald Dahl, CS Lewis or Just William or anything like that.
:lolol: I've just started collecting the Jennings books for my son to read...

"The old General looks spivish pleased about something" said Atkinson as he tucked into his pudding. "Hope he asks for a half-holiday!"
Venables cast a furtive glance at the top table where the guests were sitting.
"I expect he will if he's in a decent mood" he replied. "When I'm a famous Old Boy in about a hundred years time I shall come back here three times a week and kick up a hoo-hah if they don't give a half-holiday every time I ask for one."
"You won't!" said Darbishire, from across the table. "You may think you will when you're young, but when you get past a certain age, you go bats. All grown-ups do; it's called, er-something like sea-lion."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

"The old General looks spivish pleased about something" said Atkinson as he tucked into his pudding. "Hope he asks for a half-holiday!"
"I expect he will if he's in a decent mood" he replied. "When I'm a famous Old Boy in about a hundred years time I shall come back here three times a week and kick up a hoo-hah if they don't give a half-holiday every time I ask for one."
"You won't!" said Darbishire, from across the table. "You may think you will when you're young, but when you get past a certain age, you go bats. All grown-ups do; it's called, er-something like sea-lion."

I used to love the Jennings books when I was a kid - the guy who wrote them was a friend of my dad, so I had some autographed copies (which I've now lost)

Really dated now though

olliwarne

Aug 12, 2010
Germany
Alex Rider´s Adventures (8 books) by Anthony Horowitz.

Alex Rider is a kid spy who works for MI:6 and goes on various missions.
Every book is a different sort of mission.
The first book is called Alex Rider: Stormbreaker.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
'The Once and Future King' by T H White, still my favourite book.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA

Popular ones at the moment seem to be:

Percy Jackson
Diary of a Wimpy Kid (a bit comicy but still good)
Cherub series
Wolf Brother series by Michelle Paver

I'd still give Harry Potter a go, although chances are he already knows whether or not he'd like that.

This :thumbsup:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(

Totally wizard oz...

I really loved them at 11/12 :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here