Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Books for boys - age 11-12

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The age old problem of getting your kids to read is hard enough but with boys it's nearly impossible. Any suggestions for books that will interest boys?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
At that age I used to love Roald Dahl, the Redwall series and the Horrible Histories books (I'm 25 now, for reference).

I would still recommed Horrible Histories now because they are quite easy to pick up and put down and have lots of gory facts that used to interest me - with hindsight RedWall probably isn't written for 11 year olds.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
my 11 yr old loves the Alex Ryder series and Harry "the pot-head" Potter

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This was very interesting when I was 12

rz1007.jpg

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
The Machine Gunners by Robert Westall. My 22 year old nephew cites it still as one of his favourite books of all time after I gave it to him when he was 11.

Also Animal Farm by Orwell and The Silver Sword by Ian Serailler

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Terry Pratchett I notice is an author I often see Jnr. reading. But he reads all sorts of different stuff, so lots of differences in taste, the same as the adult world.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
my 11 yr old loves the Alex Ryder series and Harry "the pot-head" Potter

Yeah my 8 year old reads those Alex Ryder books and Beast Quest i think from memory.
Dont really know what age group they are for though really.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
İbrahim Tatlıses;3718459 said:
When I was that age, I read books that were too old for me, like Stephen King. I was enticed by the idea that there are were no limits to grown-up books, even including swear words!

This.

My parents had many books at home and from an early age I was told nothing was off-limits. When I was 11, I was reading children's books still (the Just William books were a firm favourite) but had started reading adult books. I remember I read a lot of John Wyndham, Alistair Maclean and detective stories around this time. I particularly liked Simenon's Maigret books for some reason, possibly because they always seemed to have rather louche characters.

I think the trick is to get kids reading anything. If it takes their interest, then it's good.And don't worry whether it's suitable, or the right age group.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Try here and get them to look and choose a book they fancy, so when it arrives it's just for them.

Great Books for Boys

It's also important that they see you reading and that books are part of your life. If you're always watching telly or on the computer, you can't really expect different from them.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Try here and get them to look and choose a book they fancy, so when it arrives it's just for them.

Great Books for Boys

It's also important that they see you reading and that books are part of your life. If you're always watching telly or on the computer, you can't really expect different from them.

We all read but he is less keen. Reads lots of football books which is fine, but would like to get him more into some fiction so some good suggestions above.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Try the cherub series- they are about child spys but start at the begining with 'recruit' or it might be confusing.
I think that the fact he is reading is important it doesn't really matter what it is (within reason!) I hate it when I see parents telling children they can't read that it's to young-does it really matter?
Also when I was helping in my school library the boys would always read the guiness book of records if nothing else!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Aged 11 during the mid seventies I was steadily working my way through my Dad's old collection of Biggles books. Not really relevant for today's times I suppose

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I loved the Weirdstone of Brasingamen and The Moon of Gomrath by Alan Garner.
The Narnia books by C S Lewis
The Silver Sword by Ian Serrailier.
I was given The Dangerous Book for boys about 4 years ago not fiction but worth getting.
Proffessor Brainstorm.
Stig of the Dump.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here