Book recomendations

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Escobar: The Inside Story, - Just finished it, worth a read.

If you like military history then try The Most Dangerous Enemy by Stephen Bungay - the best (by some distance) History of the Battle of Britain I have read and sadly I have upwards of thirty books on the subject.:blush:

Thanks for the recommendation on the basis of which I bought it off Amazon. Only about 80 pages but already fascinated by the breadth of the thing, interested in all the Political shenanigans on both sides and he hasn't even got to the war yet!

sifry

Jul 26, 2004
Ditchling
Asian Saga - James Clovell - Would start with Tai-Pan
The Void Series - James F Hamilton
Empire Series - Conn Iggulden

All great, gripping reads!

Enjoy!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Thanks for the recommendation on the basis of which I bought it off Amazon. Only about 80 pages but already fascinated by the breadth of the thing, interested in all the Political shenanigans on both sides and he hasn't even got to the war yet!

My pleasure - have to say it is probably my favourite military history book overall over a period of nearly 40 years of collecting them although if looking at WWII Beevor's Stalingrad/Berlin/D-Day are obviously excellent and the Hasting's Armageddon/Nemesis books regarding the end of the European and Pacific Theatres very good as well.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
My pleasure - have to say it is probably my favourite military history book overall over a period of nearly 40 years of collecting them although if looking at WWII Beevor's Stalingrad/Berlin/D-Day are obviously excellent and the Hasting's Armageddon/Nemesis books regarding the end of the European and Pacific Theatres very good as well.

What he said......Beevor is great!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What he said......Beevor is great!

Reading D-Day by Beevor just now...not usually my cup of tea but he writes so well and captures the drama perfectly.

In terms of a cracking holiday read I recommend "Night-Fall" by Nelson De-Mille, just a really well put together yarn concerning the downing of TWA flight 933 he really makes you think in that one.

Oh, and there's always the excellent "Awaydays" by Kevin Samson much loved by many on here.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
The legend of Colton H. Bryant by Alexandra Fuller is a beautifully written book, I read it in one go on a plane, and was last off the plane as I wanted to finish it....

Just finished "Trautmann's Journey - from Hitler Youth fo FA Cup legend". Fascinating book, I am sure most people are aware of him as the goalie who played the last 16' minutes an FA Cup final with a broken neck. The story of how he came to be there tells a lot about what it was like to grow up in 1930's Germany and be "the enemy" during WWII, football plays a relatively minor part but an excellent book all the same.

Continuing the WWII theme and appropriately in view of the 70th Anniversary, "The Most Dangerous Enemy - A History of the Battle of Britain" is a superb book covering the Battle in virtually aspect you can think of and several that you can't. It sheds light on many "myths" but actually makes the whole achievment of those who took part seem all the more noteworthy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here