Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing your team

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
In 53 years I have never booed the Albion and never would. Reserve this for bad refs and fouls from opposition. Even the current poor run is glory compared to some of the dark days of the past. Current depleted team needs fans to get behind them to give them confidence. Nearly worked against Burnley and we need more of the same tomorrow. Doubt if many Championship teams could have turned up at Coventry yesterday with our casulty list and done much better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I understand what you're saying, but please understand how i therefore have the right, having paid my money, to boo the booers. In my mind, booing now means you, or more regular booers, have done little but that for the past 20 years or more.
It's a shame you feel you didn't get your moneys worth, but it's probably best to get a grip and relish what we're going through with all its ups and downs rather than join the dimwitted moan-brigade who offer virtually nothing but a wish to wind up.
Of course, it's up to you and i hope to gus you get what you want more, as long as that thing is not to play hoofball and give up what we started.

I think you're being a bit too precious. Mindless abuse and criticism is pointless but a good old fashioned boo at the end of a substandard performance is a perfectly acceptable and centuries old way of allowing ones feelings to be known.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think you're being a bit too precious. Mindless abuse and criticism is pointless but a good old fashioned boo at the end of a substandard performance is a perfectly acceptable and centuries old way of allowing ones feelings to be known.

This. We should not have to put up with substandard week after week. I know how far we have come blah blah but even when we were shit like at gillingham you could see there was at least effort from limited ability players.

Having ryan harley deliver shit corner after shit free kick ISNT frankly.

Oh and i would never advocate booing DURING a game unless its the ref or of course FFS Murray :jester:

Last edited:

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Never will I boo my team, I do understand that people do though. Football costs a lot of money these days, and with the recession we could all find other things to spend our money on. But I don't see that booing will help anyone. If you were at work and someone was booing at you, would that make you work better, or give you an attitude and say f*** you? On the other hand, apart from withdrawing your support, there probably isn't many other ways to show your displeasure at crap performances. so I don't know.

Have someone booing at me all the time. He is called the boss.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have NO issue with anyone booing the team at the end of the match, what I don't understand is the very personal level of abuse given to some players DURING the game. I don't mean 'f***ing hell Paynter' or similar as he lumbers aimlessly across the turf, but it is clear (and I don't include you in this list) that some fans WANT some players to fail simply because it proves them right in their assessment of said player, rather than see the Albion win.

There's one guy somewhere near me who manages to make complimenting and supporting players an insult. At one home game recently there were cries "blimey, that was barn door back defending, and doing a good job! Not completely useless, then", "Oh wow, barn door just headed it, nice to see him leave his feet", "That's it buckley, glad you're back, careful you don't pull a muscle warming up".

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
There's one guy somewhere near me who manages to make complimenting and supporting players an insult. At one home game recently there were cries "blimey, that was barn door back defending, and doing a good job! Not completely useless, then", "Oh wow, barn door just headed it, nice to see him leave his feet", "That's it buckley, glad you're back, careful you don't pull a muscle warming up".

Funny thing is that bloke has a point!! No its not me by the way!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Funny thing is that bloke has a point!! No its not me by the way!

What that buckley's injuries have been occurring because he hasn't been careful enough? Or that when Paynter does something he see as good is the right time to criticise him for the things he has done poorly i the past?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

Perhaps you're right. Or perhaps maybe it says how i feel differently about the Albion and the expectations of what they ought be. It doesn't make my wishes better or more correct, but i much prefer to be a supporter first and a critic last, mostly because i haven't the nous or skill to ever do what Gus etc are doing. I won't always agree with what's going on, but i don't want to be one of those people with an air of egotistical omniscience to them that comes across as a Points of View regular correspondent, and never want to be part of a gaggle of jeerers whilst CMS parades the pitch with warm applause for all our efforts.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

that sounds exactly like the bellend i am forced to listen to in the north stand with a 10 metre radius every other blinking week. If it is then he always tells Greer to buck his ideas up as captain just before a game, as if some utter cock in a crowd can really stiffen the spine of our on-field leader with such throwaway commentary. I'm hoping Greer comes into the north to thank this one fool for all his kind words over the season and how it's really proved to be helpful, whilst holding his throat so lovingly or biting an eyebrow clean off.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Hah! He's obviously too thick to recognise the broad line between humorous irony and witless sarcasm!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I get really pissed of when Albion supporters say 'facking' as opposed to 'f***ing.' Thats crap swearing that is.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Fans boo out of frustration, not malice. Fans care about their club so much that they see failure from their players as a betrayal. That causes frustration, which makes them boo the players, knowing full well that doing so is irrational and counter-productive.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I took a couple of euro friends to an Albion game last season. They found the boooing highly amusing, as it's so juvenile and inoffensive, they claimed. On the continent they are a little more aggressive, intimidating and typically chuck stuff on the pitch as well.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I don't boo my own team. Occasionally clap Harley a bit harder than I should when he gets substituted, but that's about it!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What that buckley's injuries have been occurring because he hasn't been careful enough? Or that when Paynter does something he see as good is the right time to criticise him for the things he has done poorly i the past?

But buckley HAS been injured in a warm up. Twice i think. Def once. As for paynter he does f*** all so any compliment back handed or otherwise is fair game.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Only just no booing at end of Coventry game - singing bunch had gone very quiet towards the end of the match, and quite a few fans were slinking out minutes before the end.

Made me very nervous - I *hate* hearing booing, makes me ashamed to be a fan (except sometimes when deservedly directed at ref!).

I think on this occasion one has to allow that Coventry were even more desperate for the points than we were; the match stats read better than the result - more shots, but just didn't go in, agh!

Jul 20, 2003
i just keep my mouth shut during games because I don't have a pie to justify opening my gob

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here