Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Barnes?!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The only people who should be booing our players are the opposition fans.

As for Barnes he has always divided opinion but yesterday's game is a good example of the extreme opposites with some claiming he was MOM and others he was awful when actually he was neither. This is my main issue with discussions about Barnes there is no inbetween.

For me you can't question Barnes effort and he certainly has a knack of scoring but can also be frustrating to watch as he lacks the technical ability and first touch of other squad players. He is an average championship striker who would not be your first choice to spearhead a promotion campaign but nonetheless offers something different off the bench. This will be where he returns when Ulloa is fit but he has done his best as our only striking option of late and you can't fault him for that.

With Barnes contract coming to an end, Bloom talking of extending Litas contract in January and CMS coming back it will be interesting to see what happens in January with our strikers as can only see 2 of 4 making the match day squad

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I have to say that I have never felt as embarrassed at and depressed by so many Albion fans as I was yesterday at the reaction to Barnes steeping up for the pen and then the MOM award, utterly pathetic and cringe-worthy. I think it must be a symptom of the 'modern fan' with so many thinking they know a damn sight more about football then they actually do, combined with the 'I pay good money so unless I see good Championship players playing like Messi every week then I'm entitled to shoot my loud mouth off'. I'd be more than happy if these people ****ed off and never came back. They add nothing to the atmosphere so might as well not be there.

As for the MOM award, tricky one yesterday. I don't think Barnes deserved it, but I can see why he got it. To take the pen took balls and he did what all good poachers do with the second; you don't get 'lucky' by being in the right place at the right time, that takes a footballing brain and skill to achieve. It was a real team performance I thought; Koosh's positioning and shot-stopping was excellent, but so was the work-rate and harrying of the central midfield three of Crofts, JFC and Ince, JFC and Ince being particularly impressive. Conway was also a contender, great work to win the pen and then with the assist for the second.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
You Barnes lickers are all the same and should remember

1: If he doesn't score whatever else he does in the match is irrelevant
2: if he does score the goal is irrelevant because he didn't control a throw-in very well in the 13th minute.

You've finally got it, E.P.
Also, The ball bouncing off him and going to a defender or failing to win it in the first place, has become 'holding the ball up well'.

Seriously though. I really doubt that many on here really Boo Ashley at the game, that would be silly. Its just so tempting for the fans who don't rate him so highly, to post on here because some of the lovers are so full of self righteous indignation that it appears they may explode at any moment if you dare to criticise. (And, obviously, they are the only ones who know anything about football),
He did OK after the pen yesterday and 2 goals this season, eh? Not bad.
If he was a defender.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I am not, and never have been, one of Barnes' greatest fans but I would never boo him and and anyone that does so is an idiot of the highest order. He scored two goals yesterday and worked very hard for the team, as he often does, and whether we like it or not he is out first choice striker at present. So how about giving him some support?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I am not, and never have been, one of Barnes' greatest fans but I would never boo him and and anyone that does so is an idiot of the highest order. He scored two goals yesterday and worked very hard for the team, as he often does, and whether we like it or not he is out first choice striker at present. So how about giving him some support?

Good post. I'm personally a big fan of Barnes but I have no problem whatsoever with someone not agreeing with me.

What I do have a problem with is SUPPORTERS of Brighton and Hove Albion GROANING and MOANING when a Brighton and hove Albion player is stepping up for a penalty.

Ridiculous, childish and pathetic.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
What I do have a problem with is SUPPORTERS of Brighton and Hove Albion GROANING and MOANING when a Brighton and hove Albion player is stepping up for a penalty.

Ridiculous, childish and pathetic.

I will hold my hands up and admit that I groaned when I saw Barnes stepping up but for the record I'm a big fan of Ashley, enormous credit to him for having the confidence to take it. I guess it was just painful memories of Bolton last year. Overall he had a great game and I hope we hold onto him.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You've finally got it, E.P.
Also, The ball bouncing off him and going to a defender or failing to win it in the first place, has become 'holding the ball up well'.

Seriously though. I really doubt that many on here really Boo Ashley at the game, that would be silly. Its just so tempting for the fans who don't rate him so highly, to post on here because some of the lovers are so full of self righteous indignation that it appears they may explode at any moment if you dare to criticise. (And, obviously, they are the only ones who know anything about football),
He did OK after the pen yesterday and 2 goals this season, eh? Not bad.
If he was a defender.

But that's just a sly dig at him. I maintain that he's not Messi or McCammon. The extreme level of criticism of him is unwarranted, and this provokes a reaction from fans who think the levels of persecution are unwarranted. It is indicative of the polarisation of views in many issues on NSC these days, where it's more important to save face than anything else, and reasoned debate and analysis is replaced with hysteria masquerading as opinion.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I would never boo a player in the team that I support, however I had serious concerns when I saw Barnes had the ball for the penalty. Even more so with Spanish Daves record last season.....
But he scored, had a good all round game and got the decisive third, so well done to him!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You're not really worth bothering with, but let me help you. Ash had the balls to take the penalty. He chased a lost cause to get the ball, tucked it backe fo Conway to cross and jfc score, then scored the 3rd from close in. Funny, that when Lita was in the right place to score from close in last week, it was because he is a natural scorer. When Barnes does the same, he is lucky. I rather think Kuczac would have expected to make all his saves today as they were a nice height, hit from distance with little pace. The saves needed to be made, but weren't truly special. Mom was about right.

No. If you think all TK's saves were 'regulation' then you are wrong.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You can only score a tap in if you're in the right place.

THAT IS WHAT HE DOES.

He has the best positional sense of anyone in the squad.

'The best positional sense of ANYONE in the squad'. Err. No. Ulloa's is better for starters. Barnes is often not in the centre when crosses come in and, as the lone striker, he should be.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The only people who should be booing our players are the opposition fans.

As for Barnes he has always divided opinion but yesterday's game is a good example of the extreme opposites with some claiming he was MOM and others he was awful when actually he was neither. This is my main issue with discussions about Barnes there is no inbetween.

For me you can't question Barnes effort and he certainly has a knack of scoring but can also be frustrating to watch as he lacks the technical ability and first touch of other squad players. He is an average championship striker who would not be your first choice to spearhead a promotion campaign but nonetheless offers something different off the bench. This will be where he returns when Ulloa is fit but he has done his best as our only striking option of late and you can't fault him for that.

With Barnes contract coming to an end, Bloom talking of extending Litas contract in January and CMS coming back it will be interesting to see what happens in January with our strikers as can only see 2 of 4 making the match day squad

This seems about right, but Barnes WAS awful until he scored the pen. Certainly improved substantially after that, but more than a third of the game as a liability is not a MoM performance IMHO.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I think people were booing the mom award not Barnes as it clearly should have been Kuszczaks.
Spot on ,Tom was immense. God only knows what the score might have been had it not been for the PIG. However Barnes /Kuszczak Joint MOM anyone?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Spot on ,Tom was immense. God only knows what the score might have been had it not been for the PIG. However Barnes /Kuszczak Joint MOM anyone?

No. TK.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Maybe there should be two awards. One for the Albion player who scores the most goals in a match. This could be presented by the pissed-up sponsors. Also some mechanism for awarding the fans MoM, maybe vote by phone before 80 minute mark ('lines are now closed'). This award could be presented by a fan who voted, drawn at random.

great idea...tried getting a signal ?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
There is one guy in particular in my area who I'm pretty sure isn't actually interested in football he just comes to moan. From the first minute to the last he finds something, one of our players, one of theirs, the ref, it really doesn't matter he just seems to come to vent.

He's one of those fans who moan about a pass the moment it a kicked then sheepishly growl "we were lucky there" when the pass goes to one of our players (usually it's intended for a player he either didn't think it was intended for, or he didn't see them).
Let's all club together and buy his season ticet from him so we can install someone in his place that understands the game and supports the team.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Let's all club together and buy his season ticet from him so we can install someone in his place that understands the game and supports the team.

What a load of BS. You've never moaned at the football then? OK, well I have, and usually with good reason. But you ain't gonna stop me going, or moaning if it's warranted. You just sound so precious. Diddums.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What a load of BS. You've never moaned at the football then? OK, well I have, and usually with good reason. But you ain't gonna stop me going, or moaning if it's warranted. You just sound so precious. Diddums.

This guy goes beyond the usual moan at a football match. I might have said it here, or maybe in another tread, apologies for repeating myself, but it's like he doesn't come to watch football, he just comes to vent frustrations and the match is the unlucky subject of his vitriol. It's our players, theirs, the ref. He will always find something to moan at, not just things that average or even slightly negative fans would moan at. Some people on here only post when they can moan, if their chosen hobby horse (be it oscar, barnes, greer, lopez, conway, refs, whatever) doesn't provide them something to moan at, they just don't post. This guy finds something. Anything. If barnes is playing well, it will be another player, or a ref or the ballboys, or the linesman, or the opposition manager or the subs warming up, or the away fans etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here