Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boo, clap or meh.

Reception for Poyet IF he comes to the Amex?

• Total voters

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surely the fact that he claimed to be sacked live on air, thus despoiling the name of the club, when we know it wasn't true, is enough to HATE the man?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
At least he didn't leave us to go and be ASSISTANT manager at Leicester...

And pretty much no one blamed Mickey for doing that. Nor Taylor for walking away at the end of the season. The difference is these 2 did a professional job for us right up until the day they left.

Mr Poyet, on the other hand, downed tools and sulked at one of the most important points in our recent history.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
And pretty much no one blamed Mickey for doing that. Nor Taylor for walking away at the end of the season. The difference is these 2 did a professional job for us right up until the day they left.

Mr Poyet, on the other hand, downed tools and sulked at one of the most important points in our recent history.

Only he didn't. Towards the end of the season - after he had asked to leave before the Palace league game (which we won) - we went on/continued possibly our best run of form of the season. We just got unlucky in the play offs against Palace.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Surely the fact that he claimed to be sacked live on air, thus despoiling the name of the club, when we know it wasn't true, is enough to HATE the man?

Wasn't true ???

The club made a massive gaff sending the official notification of the dismissal whilst GP was live on TV and have essentially admitted it - trying to rewrite history does nobody any favours.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Only he didn't. Towards the end of the season - after he had asked to leave before the Palace league game - we went on possibly our best run of form of the season. We just got unlucky in the play offs against Palace.

Only he did. Shame the real truth about the Reading managerial vacancy, and other shennanigans hasn't come out.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Only he did. Shame the real truth about the Reading managerial vacancy, and other shennanigans hasn't come out.

So the players picked and motivated themselves to see us finish fourth in the league?

I am not saying I will sing his name or anything like that IF we ever play a team managed by him. Just without knowing the facts and, let's be honest, nobody on here knows ALL the facts, I find it difficult to actively hate him.

Did he handle himself well at the end? Of course not. The post match comments were massively annoying and ill-judged.

But equally there are a lot of rumours around the goings on at the club which we have no concrete proof of, so am not going to judge him on them.

A polite and appreciative clap will do. Same for Bridcutt.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Only he did. .

So the players went on a phenomenal run of form despite the manager apparently not trying?

Yet....people then claim the players failed against Palace because the manager wasn't bothered.

Which one is it?

Let's be clear. Gus wanted to leave. However the whole time he was here he did his job as manager...and I can also GUARENTEE you he was BEYOND gutted we didn't win against Palace. Yes, it was for selfish reasons. He would have wanted to have "promoted" on his cv, even if he was to leave regardless, but he certainly didn't give up for that match. That would be moronic to think that a manager would not want to win that game. Also the leaked email clearly showed his upset and not winning that game.

I will fully accept people's opinions that he was egotistical, self centred, wrong to not do the retained list etc etc. But I can't even FATHOM the logic that he wasn't TRYING even after he claimed he wanted to leave. That just wouldn't make any sense.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Don't agree with booing.
Can't clap him after his behaviour, especially towards the end of his time here, so... silence it is.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So the players went on a phenomenal run of form despite the manager apparently not trying?

Yet....people then claim the players failed against Palace because the manager wasn't bothered.

Which one is it?

Let's be clear. Gus wanted to leave. However the whole time he was here he did his job as manager...and I can also GUARENTEE you he was BEYOND gutted we didn't win against Palace. Yes, it was for selfish reasons. He would have wanted to have "promoted" on his cv, even if he was to leave regardless, but he certainly didn't give up for that match. That would be moronic to think that a manager would not want to win that game. Also the leaked email clearly showed his upset and not winning that game.

I will fully accept people's opinions that he was egotistical, self centred, wrong to not do the retained list etc etc. But I can't even FATHOM the logic that he wasn't TRYING even after he claimed he wanted to leave. That just wouldn't make any sense.

'Not trying' wouldn't be my words, but maybe I suppose.

Certainly 'Not focused', 'More concerned about an alternative future', and 'Head turned' would be phrases I'd choose. And all at the most important time in our recent history. It was not too much to expect a professional approach from Gus. Sadly he didn't afford us that.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
'Not trying' wouldn't be my words, but maybe I suppose.

Certainly 'Not focused', 'More concerned about an alternative future', and 'Head turned' would be phrases I'd choose. And all at the most important time in our recent history. It was not too much to expect a professional approach from Gus. Sadly he didn't afford us that.

Yet during that period we were unbeaten for ten games?

If he wanted to leave, what better negotiating tool for a prospective owner than having just taken a club from the arse end of League One to the Premier League. On top of that he was on a huge bonus if we were promoted, and you're saying he didn't try for either?

He behaved like an arse with his post match comments, but I suspect many of us said a few embarrassing things during that period too.

I don't know how Poyet can be personally responsible for Wayne Bridge going to sleep when he should have been marking Zaha for the first goal, but each to their own.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I must admit - and I'm sure people will agree I'm definitely OFF the Gus bus - that I agree with 'mejonaNO12 aka riskit' that Gus would have wanted to win the play-off semi against Pal@rse, if only for self-interest reasons (enhancing his CV).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I must admit - and I'm sure people will agree I'm definitely OFF the Gus bus - that I agree with 'mejonaNO12 aka riskit' that Gus would have wanted to win the play-off semi against Pal@rse, if only for self-interest reasons (enhancing his CV).

We agree on something at last.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I don't love any manager or player, I really do not get upset if they move on. Both Gus and Liam could have left on better terms but do I lose sleep about it? No.

On the other hand, pantomime villains are what football is all about. Should we beat Hull tonight, then bring it on! Full intensity abuse at them both, just adds to the occassion.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I don't know how Poyet can be personally responsible for Wayne Bridge going to sleep when he should have been marking Zaha for the first goal, but each to their own.

What if in Poyet's team talk or in the build up to the game he told players he would take them with him to his next job (highly likely to be a Prem one) if we failed to beat Palace? I think that would leave some responsibility at his door. Players mind-set would have undoubtedly been affected.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
he can have his gloves back that I got when he threw them away during one of his many wobblers in the dug-out. Unless a Gus lover wants them ?

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
I think he should be greeted with a hearty round of simultaneous booing and clapping! It meets how I feel about Poyet. On one hand I liked what he did to the way we play how he has changed the playing structure of the club and that deserved to be applauded. The ending was just sour and egotistical and I'd like to let him know he's f**ked us off big style!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Polite applause but may join in with the pantomime fun later!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here