Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bonfire night question (not tfor Lewes Bonfire society inbreds) ....

Oct 25, 2003
Well not anyone - you need £10k in the first place !!!! Seriously, it's a good display and an even better cause. Only £10 per adult and £5 per child. In previous years it's also been named in the top 10 of fireworks displays in the UK by The Times.

why would you pay for something that's IN THE SKY?!?!?!

is there actually anything worthwhile happening in B+H? I usually go to Lewes but well can't be arsed with getting back to brighton on a week night this year

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
why would you pay for something that's IN THE SKY?!?!?!

is there actually anything worthwhile happening in B+H? I usually go to Lewes but well can't be arsed with getting back to brighton on a week night this year

Errrr ...... because it's supporting a charity ...... I guess you're the type of person who takes clothes that have been placed outside charity shops ?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Disagree - it's over £10k of fireworks and carries on for around 40 minutes. Beer and food is available as well ( no pub lockouts like Lewes ). To add to all of that you're supporting a local charity.

I thought last year's display wasn't all that. Of course there's the added bonuses that you'e listed.

Oct 25, 2003
Errrr ...... because it's supporting a charity ...... I guess you're the type of person who takes clothes that have been placed outside charity shops ?

nope, if you'd like me to PM you my history of charity/community work i'd be more than happy to

i'll ask again, but hopefully in a way that won't produce a bellendish response....what are they providing that makes the £10 entrance fee worthwhile, when you can see what most people think of as "the main bit" for free?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Does anyone know who has been chosen for the Guy at Lewes this year? Cant find it anywhere.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Brilliant-thanks for letting me know. I'd forgotten that it was on the actual day.

The latest message from Lindfield Bonfire Society:-

IMPORTANT – Change of plan for Bonfire Night

Posted on November 4, 2012

Post today’s site inspection of the Common, Lindfield Bonfire Society regret to inform that for safety reasons we have been forced to cancel both our firework display and bonfire for the 5th. This is not a decision we have taken lightly and is obviously a great disappointment to us all, however the safety of all those attending our event must take priority.

It’s not all doom and gloom though. The good news is that we will still be holding our torch lit procession round the village and also our Children’s Fancy Dress competition at the King Edward Hall. The Guy will still be outside Glyn Thomas & Son on the Highstreet during the day with bonfire programmes. The revised schedule can be seen on the This Years Bonfire event page. (See second link, below)

This will still be a great event so please do come and support us during the day and on the evening so we can ensure next year goes off with a bang.

Lindfield Bonfire Society | Remember, remember the 5th November in the heart of Sussex

This Years Bonfire | Lindfield Bonfire Society

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Errrr ...... because it's supporting a charity

A lot of money is raised for charity on bonfire night in Lewes, usually for local charities and it's mainly raised from the street collections made by the various societies but some also collect on the entrance to their fire sites.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Funny how the inbreds tell us all it's only for them and then feel the need to be all defensive about how great the event is.
I suppose Masons are the same.

The reason why people involved in Lewes bonfire discourage outsiders from going is safety, the town is not large enough to hold 100's of thousands of spectators on the night and so to prevent crushing, to allow access for emergency vehicles to pass (if needed in a medical emergency) etc, so visitors have to be discouraged from attending but still large crowds attend.

It is an amazing spectacle with people travelling from around the world to see it but the majority of those participating in the event arn't doing it to impress the crowds but because they want to enjoy themselves, If there weren't any crowds, the event would still happen (and arguably be even better for those participating because they wouldn't have to worry about where they were letting off fireworks in the street and risking injuring spectators)

The street processions are getting tamer and tamer nowadays because of the risk of injury to spectators and societies are actively discouraging their members from letting off bangers near spectators along the streets, even though a lot of spectators go because of these bangs / noise during the processions.

Seagull16

Sep 28, 2011
The reason why people involved in Lewes bonfire discourage outsiders from going is safety, the town is not large enough to hold 100's of thousands of spectators on the night and so to prevent crushing, to allow access for emergency vehicles to pass (if needed in a medical emergency) etc, so visitors have to be discouraged from attending but still large crowds attend.

It is an amazing spectacle with people travelling from around the world to see it but the majority of those participating in the event arn't doing it to impress the crowds but because they want to enjoy themselves, If there weren't any crowds, the event would still happen (and arguably be even better for those participating because they wouldn't have to worry about where they were letting off fireworks in the street and risking injuring spectators)

The street processions are getting tamer and tamer nowadays because of the risk of injury to spectators and societies are actively discouraging their members from letting off bangers near spectators along the streets, even though a lot of spectators go because of these bangs / noise during the processions.

This.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

You say 'the event would still happen if there weren't any crowds' but I wonder if there weren't crowds in Lewes on 5th (or at other major bonfire events across Sussex) being charged to attend the fire sites or from chucking change into collecting buckets when the fund raising processions are held elsewhere during the year how would the event be paid for? Ok it might be hugely scaled down but presumably many of the traditions (eg torchlit processions, burning effigies/ tableaux and barrel runs, plus by implication letting of fireworks in the street/throwing bangers at society members) would be retained so I'm suspect the events insurers would still have something to say about that and premiums still reflect that? Presumably the Police would still have to sanction road closures and commit resources to the event plus various other agencies impliment their contingency plans (when resources are already under pressure). Plus I feel it would be naive to think (especially in Lewes) that local residents would agree to stay off their own steets or other that non-bonfire punters and businesses would not want to exercise their right to go unhindered about their lawful business inspite of bonfire.

If the pending Court case for negligence goes against the Firework site operator re. the multi-fatality crash on the M5 then I suspect the insurers of such events are hardly likely to view future bonfire events favourably.

I don't think the scenario would be quite as straightforward as you suggest.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
You say 'the event would still happen if there weren't any crowds' but I wonder if there weren't crowds in Lewes on 5th (or at other major bonfire events across Sussex) being charged to attend the fire sites or from chucking change into collecting buckets when the fund raising processions are held elsewhere during the year how would the event be paid for?

The same way it is now, by the fundraising that occurs during the year. How do you think societies like Waterloo that don't charge spectators going onto the fire field fund their displays?

The collection buckets are for charity and not the bonfire societies funds.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A lot of money is raised for charity on bonfire night in Lewes, usually for local charities and it's mainly raised from the street collections made by the various societies but some also collect on the entrance to their fire sites.

I don't deny Lewes bonfire raises money for charity, my point to the poster was that is was somewhat pathetic standing outside the Sussex Cricket ground and denying Brighton Lions some money just because you could see most of the display outside the ground. Somewhat cheapskate IMHO !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here