Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bonfire night question (not tfor Lewes Bonfire society inbreds) ....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bearing in mind I won't be gracing Lewes with my presence anymore due to it's unwelcoming atmosphere and the society's inability to organise a piss up in a brewery plus they seem to be dicouraging visitors due to their inherant elistist twaddle can anyone recommend a good bonfire night to attend? I went to Shoreham one about ten yrs aback and it was great. That one still occur and is it any good still?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Bearing in mind I won't be gracing Lewes with my presence anymore due to it's unwelcoming atmosphere and the society's inability to organise a piss up in a brewery plus they seem to be dicouraging visitors due to their inherant elistist twaddle can anyone recommend a good bonfire night to attend? I went to Shoreham one about ten yrs aback and it was great. That one still occur and is it any good still?

Agreed. Cuckfield is always nice.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ooooh you're going to get into trouble ...

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Battle is always good - All pubs open, big procession , good friendly crowds without the idiots Bonfire with the backdrop of the Abbey - only downside is getting there where you are limited to driving unless you happen to live on the train route

This was such a good recommendation - so good in fact have just read that this years is cancelled - Dooooooh!!!!!:timmy:

Battel Bonfire Boyes Website

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'll be on train so there is that to consider.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Lindfield used to have a relatively large display. Not been for around 5 years though.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I think the Inbreds thing is a bit OTT mate !!

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Battle is always good - All pubs open, big procession , good friendly crowds without the idiots Bonfire with the backdrop of the Abbey - only downside is getting there where you are limited to driving unless you happen to live on the train route

This was such a good recommendation - so good in fact have just read that this years is cancelled - Dooooooh!!!!!:timmy:

Battel Bonfire Boyes Website

I believe it's still going ahead, albeit on a much smaller scale as the battlefield is too muddy to use. It's not been as good since it was moved there from the High Street anyway IMO

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Did one of the big boys throw a firework near your little ears?

Doesn't Hove Cricket Ground do something each year? I've heard it is pretty welcoming.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The last time I went to Lewes for bonfire night it put me in mind of a Wicker Man tribute, but unfortunately without a naked Britt Ekland.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I don't think you were welcome in the first place.

In fact, I don't think any of the societies put out a welcome mat. The only reason thousands turn up is because no-one can stop them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nothing spectacular though

Disagree - it's over £10k of fireworks and carries on for around 40 minutes. Beer and food is available as well ( no pub lockouts like Lewes ). To add to all of that you're supporting a local charity.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Disagree - it's over £10k of fireworks and carries on for around 40 minutes. Beer and food is available as well ( no pub lockouts like Lewes ). To add to all of that you're supporting a local charity.

I've been to Lewes for the last twelve years and never had any problem getting served in any one of the 7 or 8 pubs I tend to frequent on the night.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Anyone can put up £10k of fireworks over 40 minutes. £250 a minute isn't that much. It's what you do with it that counts.

Nibble - I doubt you'll be missed....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here