Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton Release15 Players

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The only player I noticed for Bolton was Eagles, the midfielder (Dicker role) who used to play for Burnley (I think). At least he seemed to try.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bolton's population is far smaller than the city of Brighton and hove.

Oh yeah? According to the Office of National Statistics, the metropolitan borough of Bolton has a population of 266,500 while Brighton & Hove has a population of 256,600.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You mean Bolton, the town which is on the doorstep of the clubs which finished 1st and 2nd in the premier league, also Wigan, Blackburn and Burnley, with a population of 139,403, is bigger than Brighton and Hove, the city with a population of 256,600 situated in a county without another league club (crawley do not count) that has a population of 1.5 million?

Yes. I don't think we're in the same position as Bolton BTW, we clearly won't struggle to attract fans and I think Bolton will, but the size of the population has nothing to do with that.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Jaaskelainen is an excellent keeper.... pretty please, Gus?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i was surprised all season that they struggled, as its decent squad. following that sort of clear out, for fiscal reasons rather than ability, hopfully Bolton wont be in the running next year as they form a new team from near scratch.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Oh yeah? According to the Office of National Statistics, the metropolitan borough of Bolton has a population of 266,500 while Brighton & Hove has a population of 256,600.

You are talking about a much larger area there than the town of Bolton. That is based upon an area of 53.97 square miles. The Brighton figure is just 33.8 square miles. To even things up the Brighton figure would probably include all of the coastal Towns to Newhaven and Lewes and westwards perhaps as far as worthing.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
The United Nations measures towns as urban conurbations, going out from the centre until the population density drops below a certain level. According to their figures, Brighton is the 12th most populous town/city in the UK (10th in England, 818th in the world) with a population of 461,000. Bolton doesn't feature in the chart at all (being, quite literally, a small town in Manchester).

Last edited:

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Bolton's chairman seems to think he can slash the wage bill, get rid of his older players and replace them with youth team players and still get back to the PL straight away. Everyone knows that this league is the hardest to get promoted from but it looks like he thinks it can be done on the cheap, this is the guy who wanted no relegation from the PL, IMO he's going to get a major wake-up next season with how tough this div. is.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Agreed Eagles is a class act. Remember this goal at the Withdean.

What a goal. Who says Henderson was rubbish?

Kevin Davies will be a very useful striker in the Championship, he is the reason Bolton went down this season. Why was he sitting on the bench all season?! He started playing, Bolton started winning. They realised too late they needed the old Beast. Gretar Steinssen would be a good signing. Quality right back.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Bolton's chairman seems to think he can slash the wage bill, get rid of his older players and replace them with youth team players and still get back to the PL straight away. Everyone knows that this league is the hardest to get promoted from but it looks like he thinks it can be done on the cheap, this is the guy who wanted no relegation from the PL, IMO he's going to get a major wake-up next season with how tough this div. is.

On the contrary I think Bolton have done the correct thing. They've completely cleared out all the players who are useless and on ridiculous wages. With the wage bill cut, they can make some astute signings on a lot less wages with the core of the team still in place. West Ham were slated for keeping all their team, Bolton are being slated for getting rid of theirs. You just can't please some people!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
not sure if its been said, but could they not only be offering Kevin Davies a 1 year contract so they can try and get a nice fee for him if Big Sam wins the play off final, and trys to get him in at west ham?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

you mean Brighton & Hove with the urban area of around 450,000? :lolol: i'll stop now, i get your point.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
What a goal. Who says Henderson was rubbish?

Kevin Davies will be a very useful striker in the Championship, he is the reason Bolton went down this season. Why was he sitting on the bench all season?! He started playing, Bolton started winning. They realised too late they needed the old Beast. Gretar Steinssen would be a good signing. Quality right back.

I remember when we signed Hendo-donkey, the Argus ran an interview where he claimed his distribution from kicking was like having an extra outfield player on the pitch that probably explains his positioning for the goal. Also remember the Argus interview with Frutos telling the Albion faithful how he was going to get twenty assists in a season. One would have been good.

I worry a little for Bolton most teams that go straight back up to the Premiership keep a core of the team that get relegated with maybe 4 or 5 in and out. With the rumoured massive debt this could be a Leeds all over again.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
You mean Bolton, the town which is on the doorstep of the clubs which finished 1st and 2nd in the premier league, also Wigan, Blackburn and Burnley, with a population of 139,403, is bigger than Brighton and Hove, the city with a population of 256,600 situated in a county without another league club (crawley do not count) that has a population of 1.5 million?

i think your find crawley do count, just the one league behind now.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I love the fact that NSC can start a thread re: a team releasing 15 players and then by the 28th post we are discussing ' the United Nations way to measure an urban conurbation' for what its worth I too think that Chris Eagles is a decent player!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Gretar Steinsson is a must if we want to mount a promotion challenge. Heart of a lion, tough in the tackle, great communicator, he's exactly what we need and would be a hero down here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here