Horton
Ward
Stevens
Robinson
Napier
Zamora

Which Napier?

Storer68 said:
Surely Bobby Smith must rate a mention here.

He had just played as centre-forward for England when we signed hin the old Division 4 (aka League 2)

Today that is comparible with Forest Green Rovers picking up Michael Own from Real Madrid on a free!!!!!!!!

b4 my time, but must (according to the experts at the time) rate as our best player:clap2:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Smith had lost a bit of pace by the time we got him, but he was always in the right place when a cross came in. He liked the booze a little too much than was good for him though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lawrenson would be my pick then either Stevens, Foster or Ward dependant on what you favourite type of footie player is.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I did not rate the Bobby Smith from Spurs amongst the greats.

The day he signed would have been like signing Gascoigne after the World Cup. The signing rates as "where were you when we heard we had signed Bobby Smith?". I still remember. He put 10,000 on the gate every week in the bottom division, but he was not as good as Bobby Z by the time the booze had taken its toll.

Bobby Z I rate as highly as the a past his prime Willie Irvine. Nearly good enough for a best Albion eleven since 1963 or so.

The day Bobby Smith signed was a greater event that when Brian Clough signed. The fans thought so. 20,000 turned up for Bobby Smith's debut match against Barrow. Brian Clough got about 16,000 perhaps 18,000 for his first game. Nobby Lawton attracted about the same. Liam Brady put a few thousand on the gate as well.

But when Bobby Smith signed, times were really dire after two successive relegations, so it was a defining moment in the Albion history. Nowadays, nothing short of signing David Beckham would surpass it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here