Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boating Holiday on the Norfolk Broads - Tips please

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Brundall is a good place to start/finish a holiday, just outside Norwich on the River Yare.

One place to be very wary of, tidal wise, is Breydon Water near Great Yarmouth.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
It's well worth getting a tide table. Working with the tide will save you in fuel costs and make a difference to how fast you can travel, particularly on Breydon Water. I've had several great holidays up there although not been for nearly 20 years. I'd recommend planning what you want to do a bit and making sure you get to your chosen moorings in good time, moorings at good locations will all be taken by mid afternoon. I've been in the situation where we left getting to a pub a bit late and had to try and find moorings after dark, not something I'd recommend!
I've got a boat booked for August, taking my son for the first time, can't wait!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thanks for everything so far. All good stuff. Any particular tips as to places we can go to, especially as we are taking an 8 and 12 year old.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Before you set off be sure to check the toilet with a pound of mashed up Dundee cake, it will give you peace of mind, especially if you have elderley relatives on board.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Before you set off be sure to check the toilet with a pound of mashed up Dundee cake, it will give you peace of mind, especially if you have elderley relatives on board.

Just be careful of a man in a Blazer filming a video for Hamiltons Water Breaks. He upset the local farmers you see.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Its either him or Cliff Thorburn.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Cliff Thornburn is not a presenter, he is a snooker player.

I will be looking out for dead cows falling off bridges for sure.

But enough of the Alan Partridge for now, any other suggestions!!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i went to great yarmouth the other day and it was ok. a bit the like the every day is like sunday video but with more heroin addicts and fewer iconic british actresses.

HAD TWO HOLIDAYS ON BROADS BOYS AND THEN FAMILY BOTH CRACKING,NEARLY TOOK OFF TOP OF BOAT UNDER BRIDGE AT YARMOUTH!!!! HAVE A SUPER TIME BUT BE AWARE THEY ARE A FUNNY OLD BUNCH OF PEOPLE UP THERE???:hilton::p:O

Attachments

• hols 086.JPG
    hols 086.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 113
  • hols 089.JPG
    hols 089.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 112

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We're off shortly so thought this was worth a quick bounce for anyone that may want to add some tips. Still looking for things to do to keep the children occupied.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We're off shortly so thought this was worth a quick bounce for anyone that may want to add some tips. Still looking for things to do to keep the children occupied.
Do what i did last year on the Thames, although three of the little darlings, detail them off with maritime style titled jobs each with their own responsibility, such as navigators mate, deck hands, galley slave lol.

May 12, 2010
Had several great holibobs on the Norfolk Broads.
We’ve found the Southern Broads nicer than the Northern Broads.
If you do have any sort of collision we discovered the boats do hole quite easily as they are made of fibreglass (I think). A well placed flag of some kind can usually disguise all but the largest of GASHES.
DO get propeller insurance. It is quite easy to get one of your ropes tangled up down below, and once you do, you will NEVER untangle it.
Oh and if you are using a disposable bar-b-que, make sure it has properly gone out before you throw it away. Chucking it into the large riverside bin full of other rubbish and then buggering off to the pub is NOT a good idea. It is also EMBARRASSING when you have to walk back to your boat past all of the other boaty people while the fire brigade are tackling the nearest thing Reedham has ever seen to the Towering Inferno.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here