Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom wants automatic promotion next season

Should Poyet be signing players just to gain promotion next season or players that are good enough to compete in the Championship as well? Are any of the current squad Good enough to play in the Championship?

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Promotion would be great next season, obviously, but its a massive ask. To be honest I'm really not expecting us to be anywhere near the top 2 (pointswise), the Playoffs will be a much more realistic aim.

Personally I think as long as we've got a good team playing good football and competing at the right end of the table, then it won't be a disaster kicking off at Falmer in League 1.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
If our great leader wants automatic promotion next season,then he will have to dig deep into his pocket and supply Gus with a large wad!!!
For me,first on the list would be a top class striker and a brilliant goalie!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
to answer the question - buy players who will get us out of this league first and foremost.....many of those will be capable of performing at a higher level.

Of the existing squad (including loanees) I would view Calderon, Painter, Hendrie, Dicker and Bennett as definitely able to make the step up to be Championship regulars plus possibly Tunnicliffe (if he makes progress as expected) LuaLua, Murray and Crofts. Not sure about Arismendi

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If our great leader wants automatic promotion next season,then he will have to dig deep into his pocket and supply Gus with a large wad!!!

Add a good reliable central defender and you have the Brian Clough philosphy for a succesful team get the back bone sorted and the rest will follow.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
If we were to get promoted, we could really do with starting the Championship season with a stable team that knows their game (ie like Scunthorpe used to)

Thats why I think we need a team built this summer who are good enough to compete in the championship, then we can get promoted and take that momentum into the next season. i feel we will lose that momentum if we did get promoted and had 7 or 8 new people in the team. I think it will backfire and we would look stupid

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
i think the difference between a TOP league 1 promotion team and a team good enough to compete in The Championship is minimal, e.g. Leicester and Bristol City.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Promotion would be great next season, obviously, but its a massive ask. To be honest I'm really not expecting us to be anywhere near the top 2 (pointswise), the Playoffs will be a much more realistic aim.

A trip to Wembley would be a fantastic way to end our time at Withdean-especially if it was to be our first win there.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Whilst I applaud Mr Bloom's ballsy ambition, I wonder whether making such a public statement adds unnecessary pressure on the management, players and himself? (As well as giving supporters, what may prove to be, over-inflated expectations)
Automatic promotion would be fabulous, but finishing 3rd to 6th would also be a commendable achievement based on the shite that we've seen over the last few years - yet would be seen as failure based on the goals that have been set.

Let's hope he doesn't have a Rafa-esque inability to keep his optimistic predictions to
himself.... unless of course, they all prove to be spot on :)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
First Season at Falmer - Still in League 1 - Free flowing football, winning most games, Promotion from League 1 to Championship, perhaps via play-offs...

OR

First Seaon at Falmer - Defensive football, losing most games, Relegation from Championshiop back to League one.

Which would attractt he bigger crowds?

I guess we'd sell more ST if we were in Championship, but over the course of the season, which option would be better?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
At SOL, our new chairmen stated he wanted promotion next season and there would be a budget to do it.

He then said that once in the Championship there would be a top six budget for the Championship. So there may be a bit of a mix with a couple of players on shorter deals to get out of this division, but I imagine the majority would be signed with playing in the Championship in mind.

wodge

Nov 15, 2009
A trip to Wembley would be a fantastic way to end our time at Withdean-especially if it was to be our first win there.

The playoffs might not be held at Wembley in 2010, double-booked it with the Champions League final apparently. :cry:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
First Season at Falmer - Still in League 1 - Free flowing football, winning most games, Promotion from League 1 to Championship, perhaps via play-offs...

OR

First Seaon at Falmer - Defensive football, losing most games, Relegation from Championshiop back to League one.

Which would attractt he bigger crowds?

I guess we'd sell more ST if we were in Championship, but over the course of the season, which option would be better?

Bit negative isn't it?

I'd prefer -

2010-2011 season: Automatic promotion this year therefore guaranteeing a good attendance to most championship games the following season

2011 - 2012 season: Push for top 8 Championship finish with possibility of play off push

2012 - 2013 season: Push for Automatic Promotion to the Premiership

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
There's nothing wrong with aiming high.

I think if Bloom backs Gus up with a decent war chest and Gus can bring in the players he wants for a serious push then there's every chance we could surprise a lot of people and relive the glory days of Micky Adams and Bobby Zamora.

Ultimately we are in a very good position given the stability and security we now have under Bloom's control and with the beautiful new stadium round the corner filling everyone with optimism there are a lot of parts to the puzzle coming together.

Consider:

1) We are financially secure, and probably among the wealthiest clubs in League One at the moment.

2) Our management team AND coaching set up is as good as it has been for many a year with RECOGNISED talented professionals who already appear to be moving the team in the right direction. With all due respect I'm fairly sure the likes of Micky Adams, Russell Slade and Dean Wilkins don't have UEFA Pro licences as our Gus does.

3) Poyet has already shown he recognises and can attract talented players. Calderon, Painter, Lua Lua and Hendrie have all proven to be very good additions to the squad.

4) The chairman has already done so much for the club by funding the stadium that he obviously has a vested interest in the team being successful as he is a businessman who'd like to see a return on his investment one day. The "no expense spared" attitude to Falmer will hopefully mean we boast a world class facility that will eventually bring in good money to the club. The better the hospitality and performance of the team, the more money can be made.

5) Our manager is CLASS. He commands respect from his players as he had an EXCELLENT playing career and has proven with the Forster saga that he won't take any shit from his charges. Who was the last boss we had who had won the FA Cup and played in the Champions League?

6) We already have some very decent players, many of whom are still very young and have the potential to get better. Calderon and Murray are in their PRIME whilst Bennett and Lua Lua still have their best years ahead of them (and I'm hopeful that Kazenga will stay for the long term).

7) After years of seeing decent players get progressively shitter during their time at Brighton we are now seeing genuine improvements in players who were once seen as dead wood. El Abd is FIVE TIMES the player he was a couple of years ago and Dicker, Navarro and Crofts have all upped their game since we first signed them.

8) Anthony Philip David Terry Frank Donald Stanley Gerry Gordon Stephen James Oatway. Say no more.

9) Who wouldn't want to play in beautiful Sussex by the sea at a club with ambition, a big name manager, money to spend, a super duper new stadium and some very serious potential? I think we're a damn attractive option right now and players given the opportunity to represent the mighty Seagulls can consider themselves seriously LUCKY if you ask me.

10) There is FLAIR oozing out of the club right now in both the team and the backroom staff. Even our new head scout is a fancy named Spaniard. Name me one footballer who's name begins with Z who hasn't been CLASS...

Call me optimistic, maybe even unrealistic but I honestly think all the ingredients are there. If we can get in a few more top class players and hold on to the talent we have then I see this as potentially the most exciting period in the club's history.

Seriously, we are AWESOME and we are going places.

SEAGULLS

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Be interesting to see how much Fon Williams and Simeon
Jackson go for this summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here