Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody Sunday & the Saville Inquiry.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What will it achieve apart lawyers making a mint ? Money that could have been spent on the people of Northern Ireland. :shrug:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
While it's good to fnd the truth of this, the cost is a ****ing disgrace.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm not sure why 200 million pounds has been spent, what a bloody waste of money. Soldiers we're ordered to shoot ring leaders in a riot that was happening in a war zone, seems fairly straight forward to me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
pointless as neither side will accept it anyway unless it matches their claims.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I don't think it necessarily applies to this, but in these cash-strapped times, when savings need to be made by every family, at some point someone needs to say, "we'd like to do this, but now we can't afford it."

Don't get me started on the millions it cost to search for a 16 year old girl whose parents were stupid enough to encourage her to sail around the world on her own - with a Frenchman nearly losing his own life trying to pull her out of the water.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't get why it has cost so much. A load of interviews, paperwork, and paying a judge to make a decision. Nearly two hundred million for THAT?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I'm not sure why 200 million pounds has been spent, what a bloody waste of money. Soldiers we're ordered to shoot ring leaders in a riot that was happening in a war zone, seems fairly straight forward to me.

War zone? You clearly know very little of the incident. It was a HUMAN RIGHTS march in a part of GREAT BRITAIN. It was clearly very wrong to shoot to kill British citizens no matter what their politics were. The rights that those people were marching for have now been given & as you can see there is now peace.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
War zone? You clearly know very little of the incident. It was a HUMAN RIGHTS march in a part of GREAT BRITAIN. It was clearly very wrong to shoot to kill British citizens no matter what their politics were. The rights that those people were marching for have now been given & as you can see there is now peace.

There is no peace. They are still trying to kill our squadies. It is just a different bunch from the lot who have been gifted some power by Blair.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

When i say warzone I am refering to Ulster as a whole, it may not have been a warzone in the conventional sence but it still happened at a time of war.

It's worth bearing in mind that this HUMAN RIGHTS march you refer to had decended into rioting so many of those shot were not just standing there with placards and megaphones they were pushing through baracades trying to get at the army.

Your final comment about there bring peace in Ulster is also a little naive.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
There is no peace. They are still trying to kill our squadies. It is just a different bunch from the lot who have been gifted some power by Blair.

Exactly, the hatred stems from events that happened 500 year ago so there no likely to be forgotton about any time soon.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It has also taken one of the best judges away from any of his normal work for 12 years. Imagine someone saying to one of us "Yeah, err, sorry about this but that jury service gig - fraid it's going to be 12 years. Will your employer keep the job open?".

Considering the average age of your judges, amazing he's still alive to have seen it through, really.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
War zone? You clearly know very little of the incident. It was a HUMAN RIGHTS march in a part of GREAT BRITAIN.
From around which terrorists opened fire,to say nothing of the nail bombs being thrown from the crowd the paras returned fire with interest, unfortunately innocent civilians were caught in the crossfire,it just so happens sinn fein/ira have a better propaganda machine than us , and an even more willing public to lap it all up.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sorry for the caps, quoted directly from BBC page.

THE BLOODY SUNDAY INQUIRY
YEARS TO COMPLETE:12

**INCLUDED THE FOLLOWING**
WITNESS STATEMENTS2,500
ORAL STATEMENTS:922
VOLUMES OF EVIDENCE:160
AUDIOTAPES:121
VIDEOTAPES:110
WORDS:20-30 MILLION
TOTAL COST: £195M

£34m on IT
£26m on accommodation
About half the total spend was on lawyers
£13m each to two firms of solicitors
Estimated 14 lawyers received more than £1m each - with two earning more than £4m
Inquiry employed 38 staff at its peak

from the BBC

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
From around which terrorists opened fire,to say nothing of the nail bombs being thrown from the crowd the paras returned fire with interest, unfortunately innocent civilians were caught in the crossfire,it just so happens sinn fein/ira have a better propaganda machine than us , and an even more willing public to lap it all up.

Sounds like the propaganda machine have just bought the Prime Minister :blush:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here