Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody new Internet Explorer

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
chez said:
in my experience firefox has both those problems.

I'm no techie and don't do anything flash on the web, just browsing, and as far as I'm concerned Firefox is streets ahead.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
No, most peoples "love" of Firefox comes from having a browser that actually works, rather than a gaping security hole.

Then again, don't you work for Microsoft? Of course you'd have to promote your companies crap. And by the way, Opera is just as capable a replacement browser, and its not "free software".

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I had firefox, I've used IE. I don't really see much of a difference, apart from the fact IE seems to load faster.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Honestly for your own safety use Firefox or as MYOB suggests Opera.

You need to remember IE7 is built in to Windows and once this screws up, you can be preety sure the rest of your machine will follow.

MYOB said:
No, most peoples "love" of Firefox comes from having a browser that actually works, rather than a gaping security hole.

Then again, don't you work for Microsoft? Of course you'd have to promote your companies crap. And by the way, Opera is just as capable a replacement browser, and its not "free software".

Firefox had more security flaws uncovered in 2006 than IE.

With IE7's new security model in Vista the surface area for attack has been further reduced by running in a sandbox process running with the least account privaliges.

We recently hosted the Mozilla lead devs to talk about them implementing such a feature in Firefox to protect Windows users on Firefox from the gaping security holes they have been exposed to in the past year or so, unfortunatly firefox users will have to wait at least another release until they get the luxury of this feature.

Still I wish IE7 had implemented gesturing, a feature that is still sadly lacking. :down:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Another Berkshire Seagull said:

The majority of which were DoS or cross-site scripting and not remote execution. And none of them were actively exploited. Theres also the major difference that Firefox's code is totally open - its rather easy to find problems. IE security holes get found by people who don't have access to the source code - big difference. And most of them were remote code execution.

As goes sandboxing - overly complex solution to a problem that can be fixed by better QA. And they'll only have to "wait at least another release" on Windows because its not a standard function on Windows - any UNIX/UNIX-based system has had the ability to either lock off an application as running with extremely low privilidges, or have it run in an entirely seperate sandbox/"jail" for years. Its a failing in the OS when this can't be implemented in five minutes of installer scripting.

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Safeway said:
Why do people persist with IE when there's Firefox? Even to a techno-spastic such as myself that makes no sense.

I have both Firefox and IE7 on my machine but my mouse always seems to click the IE icon! Help me please.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Conkers said:
Can never get the match live console on seagulls world to work with Firefox for some reason

You could download the IE tab extension which lets Firefox mimic IE and thus watch Seagulls World.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Another Berkshire Seagull said:

"For a total 284 days in 2006 (or more than nine months out of the year), exploit code for known, unpatched critical flaws in pre-IE7 versions of the browser was publicly available on the Internet. Likewise, there were at least 98 days last year in which no software fixes from Microsoft were available to fix IE flaws that criminals were actively using to steal personal and financial data from users.

In a total of ten cases last year, instructions detailing how to leverage "critical" vulnerabilities in IE were published online before Microsoft had a patch to fix them.

"In contrast, Internet Explorer's closest competitor in terms of market share -- Mozilla's Firefox browser -- experienced a single period lasting just nine days last year in which exploit code for a serious security hole was posted online before Mozilla shipped a patch to remedy the problem."

(Source: Washington Post).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here