Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody Network Rail

Bracknell Towers is located just north of the Coastway East railway line, about half way between Glynde and Berwick stations. The road outside links us with the A27, which, in turn, connects us with the whole of the civilised world.

To reach the A27, however, the road crosses a level crossing.

Network Rail are this week doing some major work on the level crossing. They applied for (and got) a temporary road closure, which allows them to close the road between the hours of 11.30pm and 5.00am each night. During the period of the road closure, we can only get access to the A27 (half a mile away) if we take a six mile diversion, via a tortuous network of narrow rural roads to the north and east.

I don't mind that - since there is no good reason not to be home during the hours that the level crossing is closed for the works to be done.

However ... what happened last night was Network Rail completely removed the road surface across the level crossing and failed to replace it. The rails are still in place, with exposed concrete sleepers, but there is NO road surface. Either side of the crossing, there is a deep trench that effectively prevents even pedestrians from crossing the railway.

When 5.00am arrived, all the workforce just packed up and went home for the day, leaving the road completely closed. We had no warning of this and there has been on-one around to explain what's going on.

I phoned Network Rail's call centre this evening to try and find out when the road will re-open. The very helpful guy who took the call made some internal enquiries and discovered that the road will remain unusable ... until NEXT MONDAY MORNING.

We now have a whole week of no easy access to civilisation, no pedestrian access, no deliveries, no post, no-one calling round. Not even any day-time work being done on the road. And no authorisation for this road closure.

It's now 11.25pm. I am waiting for the people from Network Rail to show up on site. I may well feel it necessary to go outside and express an opinion about this shambles.

... if, of course, they can be bothered to put in an appearance.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
We (NSC'ers) could always pop round and fill in the offending holes for you!

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Move!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh dear, a leftie complaining about a not for profit organisation.

Standards are slipping.................

Complain to the highways authority (East Sussex CC?) as they have broken their road closure notice.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
We at network rail love making it difficult for the general public. It gives you something to moan about! If this was a normal road closure you wouldn't say f*** all about it! Just cos it's the railway. Double standards i think

After about 20 minutes of trying (calling out politely, then calling out loudly, then shouting and, finally, shining a very strong torch in his eyes), I've now managed to coax the man out of his van that was parked the other side of the level crossing and persuaded him to come and talk to me.

He, of course, is only the bloke that operates the machinery and knows nothing about the arrangements for the road closure. He did, however, phone his boss (who is supervising the works) who told me that he, too, knows nothing. He will, however, be arriving on site "soon". I have invited him to knock on our front door (at any before 12.45am) to have a further discussion.

One of the neighbours (the theatrical costume designer with the BAFTA - but that's not important right now) joined us in this conversation and she expressed exactly the same frustration with what's going on. The Bed & Breakfast place up the road are not best pleased either.

As for ESCC's Highway Authority offices, I do, of course, know my way around that organisation - having worked for it for 30 years. The lad who has dealt with this particular road closure is the son of a former colleague ... so I'm not expecting anything but enormous help from them.

We at network rail love making it difficult for the general public. It gives you something to moan about! If this was a normal road closure you wouldn't say f*** all about it! Just cos it's the railway. Double standards i think
Not at all. I like the railway. I like the way that it is maintained. It's just that, on this occasion, Network Rail have cocked up. We are their neighbours. They tell us one thing and then do something completely different, without making any contact with us at all.

Complain to the highways authority (East Sussex CC?) as they have broken their road closure notice.
Indeed they have.

Thanks to the wonders of the interwebby thing, here is the Road Closure Notice:-

ROAD TRAFFIC REGULATION ACT 1984
The East Sussex (C13 Ripe Level Crossing)
(Temporary Prohibition of Traffic) Order 2009

To allow Network Rail to carry out essential repairs to their Railway
Installations, East Sussex County Council intend not less than seven
days from the date of this Notice to make an Order under Sections
14(1) and 15(1)(b) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984,
as amended, which will temporarily close the following length of road:

Temporary Road Closure

Level Crossing – C13 Ripe Lane, Ripe.

Access for pedestrians should not be affected, and vehicular access
for residents and to properties should be maintained whenever
possible, with the alternative route for through traffic being signed via
U7044 Langtye Lane, C207 The Street, A27 and vice versa.

To minimise disruption these works will be carried out over four nights
and it is necessary to close the Ripe Level Crossing to vehicles from:

23:30hrs on Monday 29 June 2009 to 05:00hrs on Tuesday 30
June 2009.

23:30hrs on Tuesday 30 June 2009 to 05:00hrs on Wednesday 1
July 2009.

23:30hrs on Wednesday 1 July 2009 to 05:00hrs on Thursday 2
July 2009.

23:30hrs on Thursday 2 July 2009 to 05:00hrs on Friday 3 July 2009.

If you require any further information you should telephone the
Western Area Highways Office on 0345 60 80 193.

Andrew Ogden, Director of
Law & Personnel, Chief Executive’s
Department, County Hall,
Lewes, East Sussex BN7 1SW.
12 June 2009.

http://www2.lewestoday.co.uk/pdfs/publicn/JHM54650.pdf

LB,

let the "supervisor" from the (sub-)contractor know that they are breaking the road closure notice and ESCC(H/A) will be imposing hefty fines (e.g £2000 a day).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bracknell Towers is located just north of the Coastway East railway line, about half way between Glynde and Berwick stations. The road outside links us with the A27, which, in turn, connects us with the whole of the civilised world.

To reach the A27, however, the road crosses a level crossing.

Network Rail are this week doing some major work on the level crossing. They applied for (and got) a temporary road closure, which allows them to close the road between the hours of 11.30pm and 5.00am each night. During the period of the road closure, we can only get access to the A27 (half a mile away) if we take a six mile diversion, via a tortuous network of narrow rural roads to the north and east.

I don't mind that - since there is no good reason not to be home during the hours that the level crossing is closed for the works to be done.

However ... what happened last night was Network Rail completely removed the road surface across the level crossing and failed to replace it. The rails are still in place, with exposed concrete sleepers, but there is NO road surface. Either side of the crossing, there is a deep trench that effectively prevents even pedestrians from crossing the railway.

When 5.00am arrived, all the workforce just packed up and went home for the day, leaving the road completely closed. We had no warning of this and there has been on-one around to explain what's going on.

I phoned Network Rail's call centre this evening to try and find out when the road will re-open. The very helpful guy who took the call made some internal enquiries and discovered that the road will remain unusable ... until NEXT MONDAY MORNING.

We now have a whole week of no easy access to civilisation, no pedestrian access, no deliveries, no post, no-one calling round. Not even any day-time work being done on the road. And no authorisation for this road closure.

It's now 11.25pm. I am waiting for the people from Network Rail to show up on site. I may well feel it necessary to go outside and express an opinion about this shambles.

... if, of course, they can be bothered to put in an appearance.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

The best solution I could offer is to get a life and not worry about it. Hope that helps.

LB,

let the "supervisor" from the (sub-)contractor know that they are breaking the road closure notice and ESCC(H/A) will be imposing hefty fines (e.g £2000 a day).
Just to keep Beach Hut happy ... the people doing the work are, in fact, Network Rail themselves, not a bunch of sub-contractors.

I'm not sure that ESCC have got round to renting out road possessions yet. I think it's a criminal offence (Obstructing the Highway) that is dealt with in the Magistrates Court - with a maximum penalty of £1,000.

... Oh the things that I have time to look up, while waiting for a visitor at this time in the morning.

I've given him until 12.45am to show up on the doorstep. He's not got much more time.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A little aside, a few years ago when I owned The Victory Inn, Staplefield, during the summer a police driver killed a passenger in car coming the opposite way. It was with out doubt his fault, my wife was a witness, he lost it on a bend, speeding not on blues and twos. Never seen so many coppers in such a small place! Anyway at the enquiry they attempted to blame the victims driver. However this did not wash, in the end the road was at fault!!! So, come December the highways shut the entire road for 4 weeks continuiously. This meant we lost all our Christmas trade. The road was still passable all the time as it was used for access to the A23 for emergencies but not open to the public. I lost over £20 000 of business. I attempted to claim compensation but because it was not covered by the utilities act I could not. So I do really sympathise with you.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Out of interest, has the grass started looking greener on the other side of the railway track ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here