Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody hell - Tony Wilson

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
RIP - if you havent seen it already watch 24hr party people with Steve Coogan.
it has been on my to do list for ages - will rent it out soon

and wow, i know very little overall compared to the rest of you , but from what i know and what i've seen of him he certainly was a character you either dispised or respected but you can't take away exactly what he put out there y'know.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

and wow, i know very little overall compared to the rest of you , but from what i know and what i've seen of him he certainly was a character you either dispised or respected but you can't take away exactly what he put out there y'know.

WORD :)

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Sorry about this folks; but I'm afraid I met him once when he was invited to speak at a conference I was indirectly involved in organising. He was rude to several people who didn't deserve it and almost everyone I know who was involved that day went away with the impression 'arrogant tosser'. I don't care if you single handedly invented Madchester or whatever, politeness would have cost you nothing, mate!

I phoned him up once to ask if a story about him being bankrupt, on the front of the MEN, was true. He told me to f*** off. Nice chap.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry about this folks; but I'm afraid I met him once when he was invited to speak at a conference I was indirectly involved in organising. He was rude to several people who didn't deserve it and almost everyone I know who was involved that day went away with the impression 'arrogant tosser'. I don't care if you single handedly invented Madchester or whatever, politeness would have cost you nothing, mate!

His rudeness was part of his character innit. He never claimed otherwise.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
listened to the New Order 80s albums last night.

Power, Corruption and Lies. Brotherhood. Low Life. Substance. Technique.

Absolute genius.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Quite a shock that. i didnt know he was ill. Thinking back to not so long ago, he was so instumental in everything that was going on. The Inspirals, after NO and Happy Mondays but he was on a roll..

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
Ironically Nathan the Mondays 'manager' who he didn't particularly like owing to him being a dealer and responsible to the HUGE cash black hole that was making the album 'Yes, please!', was raising the money for him to have his medical treatment as it wasn't available on the NHS.

Very sad news, I liked the guy and all his quirks.

RIP Tony, you twat (this is a compliment, by the way, to all those who don't know)

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Watched that '24 Hour Party People' about a week ago, which was quite good. 'From Joy Division to New Order' by Mick Middles is a good write-up of the Wilson/Factory story

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Once called me a stupid **** for walking out into the road in front of his car

To be fair tho, Wilson got called a cun* every day of the last thirty years by every lazy f*** massive ego Manc rocker who automatically assumed they would have been feted as god-like creatures with or without Tony Wilson's spin. They're wrong. Wilson's sheer BELIEF and talking up of Manchester gave them the stage to walk on. Without it, they'd mostly have remained complete no-marks. Most of them owe Tony Wilson EVERYTHING

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Available to buy for about a fiver nowadays Braders. You'd be better off buying than renting IMHO as it's a cracking film and bears repeated viewing. And goes without saying that the soundtrack is IMPECCABLE :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A true character. I recall a recent quote where he was lambasting Morrissey for criticing the Manchester scene. He said something along the lines of 'there is a film about me and a film being made about Ian Curtis.....no one has made a film about that miserable **** from Althingham.'

I'm not sure I totally agree with everything he said but I'd rather he said things than not. A true legend of the British music scene.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here