Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blood!

Dandyman

In London village.
dougdeep said:
You get tea and chocolate biscuits and even crisps at Seaford. I'm A- by the way.

Blimey, another one of the 6.5% elite ! :D

Any Scandanvian or Baltic ancestry ?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
eastlondonseagull said:
Don't think I'm allowed to give blood as a diabetic :(

Been rejected for this very reason;either too much glucose or too much insulin.Recovering from op.---gets hypo,oh dear!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Dandyman said:
Blimey, another one of the 6.5% elite ! :D

Any Scandanvian or Baltic ancestry ?

Scottish I think, perhaps a viking came a plundering.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Lokki 7 said:
I would love to give blood but have a phobia of needles. I ALWAYS break out in the sweat of all sweats and then faint. f***ing embarrassing, I have no control over this whatsoever. I tried hypnotherapy to get over it but it made it worse! What a wuss.

Don't worry, i'm the same!

ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Don't worry, i'm the same!

The worst thing is, I have a form of arthritis and am supposed to go for blood tests every 6 months. The hospital waiting room has an average age of 92, most of these people really suffer and are in a lot of pain but they go in and out no problem, no fuss. Then I go in... and get wheeled out.
I've stopped going.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My wife has a phobia of needles. She manages a nursing home so it's dificult for her to avoid them.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Lokki 7 said:
The worst thing is, I have a form of arthritis and am supposed to go for blood tests every 6 months. The hospital waiting room has an average age of 92, most of these people really suffer and are in a lot of pain but they go in and out no problem, no fuss. Then I go in... and get wheeled out.
I've stopped going.

oops!

Best thing to do, as it worked for me for a temporary time, is go to counselling. i know it sounds stupid, but i got a relaxion tape from them so calm me down ahead of operations, and i managed to have the operation that was planned instead of wimping out.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Not allowed as I lived in the UK during the BSE crisis, despite the fact they have it over here anyway.

ben andrews' girlfriend said:
oops!

Best thing to do, as it worked for me for a temporary time, is go to counselling. i know it sounds stupid, but i got a relaxion tape from them so calm me down ahead of operations, and i managed to have the operation that was planned instead of wimping out.

That would be the sensible thing to do. But I'm a bloke.
It's funny because the dentist doesn't bother me at all, I had an op without any reaction and even holiday jabs, although I dread them are ok. It's something about giving blood that triggers this reaction. The hypnotherapy bird offered to come to the hospital with me but the thought of fainting in front of her as well as everyone else made me even more worried.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
munster monch said:
Not allowed as I lived in the UK during the BSE crisis, despite the fact they have it over here anyway.

When I was in the US a couple of years ago, I was approached in the street and asked to give blood. When I said that I gave in the UK, the woman, having heard my accent, said"We don't want you anyway." and called out after me, "Mad cow"...which made two of us. :)

BTW, I'm an A+ but AFAIK I have no Viking ancestry. I'm dark-eyed, dark-haired and dark-skinned and of French/Welsh descent. Where did the A come from?

Dandyman

In London village.
HampshireSeagulls said:
A Neg as well. Distinctly blond haired and blue eyed.

This from the Blood Transfusion Website...

The frequency of the four main groups O, A, B and AB varies in populations throughout the world. In the UK, although not in every case, the rarer blood groups are often found in donors with similar ethnic backgrounds. For example, in the UK, over all just 10% of the population are B group. Yet in people from an Asian background, 25% have this blood group. Many people with rare blood groups or suffering from conditions which require regular blood such as thalassaemia, leukaemia and those undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, need closely matched blood. If they have a rarer group, we do sometimes struggle to get a perfect match for them.

Sufferers of Beta Thalassaemia Major, are 100% dependent on donors – without them, they wouldn’t be alive. But they need the right match, which means blood donated by people with rarer blood groups, found in donors from similar ethnic backgrounds. We are only too aware that blood donors do not, at present, reflect Britons rich multicultural population.

Where did these different blood groups come from? In the same way that people, cultures and languages change from country to country, so do blood groups. This means that some types are more common in certain ethnic and national groups and, despite the fact these groups become more mixed as people move around the globe, it’s still possible to see how blood groups differ from population to population.

The O group is the oldest of the blood groups. Back in the Stone Age, everyone would have been O – and today it’s still the most common group in the UK, especially in the North of England. Over in Central and South America and the USA most people are O too. The fact that anyone can receive O blood reflects the fact that all other blood groups are derived from it.

Group A is the second oldest blood group, appearing around 25,000 - 15,000BC, when larger human settlements first appeared as farming developed. You’ll find a lot of A in Central and Eastern Europe. It’s the commonest group in Norway, Denmark, Austria, Armenia and Japan.

If you’re looking for group B, then try the Chinese or Asian communities, where around a quarter of all people share this blood group. It emerged between 15,000 and 10,000BC as tribes migrated from Africa to Europe, Asia and the Americas and mingled with other populations.

The newest and rarest group, AB, only appeared between 1000 and 500 years ago, and is believed to have occurred as a response to the mixing of existing blood groups on a major scale. In Japan, China and Pakistan around 10% of the population boast this rarest of blood groups. Amazing!

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
I gave blood for the first time just before xmas.
Ive now got my card and im A RH Positive and i got a load of info saying that my blood group help cancer etc (something to do with platelets)
Feel very proud :drink:

Last edited:

Dr Feelgood

Banned
Feb 15, 2004
worthing
I had to have a blood transfusion a few years ago after catching the MRSA virus in hospital, so I am not allowed to give blood but I am eternally gratefull to those who do.
THANK YOU.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
My daughter had many blood transfusions when she was in hospital (born prem at 28 weeks) she had a major stomach op and then a milk intollerence (very severe)

At the time, the wife and i said we will definitely give blood, so we have and hopefully always will.

An easy thing to do which is also one of the most important

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here