Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blogs of Brighton HA

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As an IT person myself I have never wanted to write a blog, however I don't see the relevance of what being in IT has on authoring an article? Anyway opinions are why we are here, the blogs are personal opinion I guess? Ah well, c'est la vie.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
As an IT person myself I have never wanted to write a blog, however I don't see the relevance of what being in IT has on authoring an article? Anyway opinions are why we are here, the blogs are personal opinion I guess? Ah well, c'est la vie.

Indeed. I simply meant that being in IT, I might be exptected to support all things digital. This is one I just don't understand. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Wide circulation written mostly by professionals, of course. Random ramblings of your average person, not really. It's no big deal, I just don't get it.

Well isn't "random ramblings of your average person" exactly what NSC is [MENTION=2695]Tricky Dicky[/MENTION]? And you signed up some seven years ago, accumulating over 6,000 posts which seems to suggest you've enjoyed reading and contributing to these ramblings.

People like hearing what other people have to say.

And football blogs in particular have an interesting part to play. You won't find more than a sentence or two in any of the national papers about Brighton & Hove Albion's latest performance or new acquisitions whereas the blogging community can provide all sorts of views, information and opinions that we wouldn't find elsewhere. A case in point would be this post: the two unfortunates: The Monday Profile: Will Buckley in which two knowledgeable fans of other clubs give a bit of history on one of our Summer captures. Your professional journos up in Wapping aren't going to be typing this sort of stuff up

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Even as an IT person, I have never understood who really wants to write a blog, and even less who wants to read them. Never mind, such is life.

Thing is, there are well written blogs, and there are poorly reasearched, barely literate newspaper columns. If a piece of writing is informative and / or engaging, why does it matter to you whether or not the writer recieved a fee for penning it? Essentially, that is the only difference.

Spare ten minutes from your day, to read a couple of these, and give us your review: North Stand Blog | All about Brighton Hove Albion

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
it's interesting what this guy is saying, though maybe i feel he is generalising a little. but i hear him.

in terms of quality of writing, funnily enough, we got a email this morning from a guy who we've never heard of with a submission to the fanzine.

the standard of his writing was superb. often you'll see that it's easy to write a little bit of opinion on a forum etc, but when you can see that they have considered tone and structure and syntax it's an absolute joy.

the big thing with this guy's piece is that there's no way the club could publish it - so it's great that we have all these outlets for writers today.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Thing is, there are well written blogs, and there are poorly reasearched, barely literate newspaper columns. If a piece of writing is informative and / or engaging, why does it matter to you whether or not the writer recieved a fee for penning it? Essentially, that is the only difference.

Actually there are many bloggers who are paid to blog, so it's not just the preserve of bedroom writers.

Furthermore it is often overlooked how important blogs are in the science of search engine optimisation (SEO). This is the principal reason for the explosion in blogs over the last five or six years and explains why you will find so very many that are absolute toilet and appear to make no effort whatsoever to engage readers and provide informative and up to date information. Millions upon millions of blogs exist purely to stuff relevant keywords into posts that link to a site looking to boost its Google ranking.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Actually there are many bloggers who are paid to blog, so it's not just the preserve of bedroom writers.

That simply reinforces my point of veiw, that he shouldn't discount a piece of writing, purely because of the banner (or lack of) it appears under.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I just write mine to express my personal opinion on what's going on at the club which means a lot to me and plays an important role in my life. I'd still write it even if I knew for absolutely certain that nobody was reading it (entirely possible anyway!) because I enjoy writing it. People still keep diaries, don't they, and they're written for similar reasons, I should imagine?

You don't have to read fans' blogs, but given as an example the level of excoriation directed at almost any article the Argus put on their website these days, it seems to me that there is an appetite for reading pieces written by genuine fans of the club(s).

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
People like hearing what other people have to say.

And football blogs in particular have an interesting part to play. You won't find more than a sentence or two in any of the national papers about Brighton & Hove Albion's latest performance or new acquisitions whereas the blogging community can provide all sorts of views, information and opinions that we wouldn't find elsewhere. A case in point would be this post: the two unfortunates: The Monday Profile: Will Buckley in which two knowledgeable fans of other clubs give a bit of history on one of our Summer captures. Your professional journos up in Wapping aren't going to be typing this sort of stuff up

Bluddy nails it for me buddy. :thumbsup:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
So you're just haveing your views?

Yep - it's an outlet, that's all. I trained as a journo many years ago but could never get into writing as a living, so it gives me some way to keep the keyboard tapping. I don't think this would be the place for pieces of expatiation, it's much less formal and most people who visit sites like NSC don't (I don't think) do so to read that sort of stuff, so I wouldn't presume to stick them here. But if somebody wants to hear what other supporters think, then why not?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Yep - it's an outlet, that's all. I trained as a journo many years ago but could never get into writing as a living, so it gives me some way to keep the keyboard tapping. I don't think this would be the place for pieces of expatiation, it's much less formal and most people who visit sites like NSC don't (I don't think) do so to read that sort of stuff, so I wouldn't presume to stick them here. But if somebody wants to hear what other supporters think, then why not?

I agree entirely. Funnily enough I'm in the same boat, having trained as a journo but not currently making a living from it. I blog for fun, to express my thoughts and to just keep in the habit of writing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here