Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blimey 9 (nine) threads on ATC about Sunderland ticket prices.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Except that going to the the ticket office is all provided by the albion. The website is run by a partner (Iris)

But wouldn't the Isis website be a reduced-cost operation? Using generic software made available to a number of clubs they'd have an economy of scale; their credit card costs would be the same as the club's; they'd employ a couple of techies and use a cheap data centre in Reading. It's all highly automated, unlike going into the shop and buying a paper ticket.

I thought the whole idea of having games loaded onto smartcards was to reduce the manual administration in the ticket office, - but it seems bizarre that we can use the expensive manual booking option for free, but have to pay to use the administration-free automated system.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can afford it, but £70 for me and Mrs Earle may be a step too far. It's only a Second Round Noddy Cup game FFS!

I'm not sure I'd call the League Cup a Noddy one - there's a place in Europe up for grabs. Now JPT - that's a REAL Noddy cup !!!!!

But wouldn't the Isis website be a reduced-cost operation? Using generic software made available to a number of clubs they'd have an economy of scale; their credit card costs would be the same as the club's; they'd employ a couple of techies and use a cheap data centre in Reading. It's all highly automated, unlike going into the shop and buying a paper ticket.

I thought the whole idea of having games loaded onto smartcards was to reduce the manual administration in the ticket office, - but it seems bizarre that we can use the expensive manual booking option for free, but have to pay to use the administration-free automated system.

Unfortunately commercial organisations dont do anything for free.

As I stated earlier the cost is per transaction not per ticket so if you want to reduce the cost then book a number of tickets all at the same time and have just a single fee applied or don't use the Iris service and just go to the ticket office.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As said above if the gate fails spectacularly then the club may look at it's pricing in the future. Although it's not cheap, it's modern football pricing and individually we have to budget as to whether it can be afforded or not. I think 17-19,000 will be achievable.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
With so many games early on at the Amex I can see why some people are moaning but it is a cup game against premier league opposition who finished 10th last season and have made a lot of signings in the close season - not a game against Gillingham, Barnet or other League 2 opposition.

What I find interesting is STHs moaning about the ticket price against the equivalent for their ticket. A season ticket is discounted as you are bulk buying in the same way that most consumer products are. The price of a matchday ticket is £xx but as a season ticket holder, you get it for less. For a one off match such as a cup game, the matchday price is still the same but you are making a one off purchase. As a STH, if you don't buy the ticket you have had reserved for you, someone else will be given the opportunity to buy the ticket. People asking for the ticket to be discounted for STHs and not for other people are not being relaistic and it is probably illegal to offer a standard adult ticket at different prices to different groups.

The people complaining have a fair point to make. For North Stand season ticket holders, the Club is charging £17.17 a game for league matches. The charge to North Stand season ticket holders for the Sunderland game is £24 + a £2 booking fee. This is 51 per cent more expensive than a league match.

Yet the Club is defending its charges on the grounds that to charge less would be "unfair to season ticket holders".

I could understand an argument that justifies non-season ticket holders paying more than season ticket holders. But that isn't what's happening. Season ticket holders are feeling ripped off and the Club doesn't seem to understand why.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
The people complaining have a fair point to make. Season ticket holders are feeling ripped off and the Club doesn't seem to understand why.

LB they do not "have a fair point to make" You are missing the point. The club have a published price list for first team home games (league and cup) and are offerring you a ticket at that price. You either choose to buy at that price or you don't!

As already mentioned elsewhere by someone sensible, STH's are already rewarded for their loyalty by having significantly lower ticket prices for league games (than those buying at the published prices for one-off games) plus the 10% discount at stadium outlets and the club shop.

I am a season ticket holder, I understand commercial logic, I don't feel hard done by, and I will be buying three tickets for the Sunderland game.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
As said above if the gate fails spectacularly then the club may look at it's pricing in the future. Although it's not cheap, it's modern football pricing and individually we have to budget as to whether it can be afforded or not. I think 17-19,000 will be achievable.
Thing is we shouldn't be talking about 17-19k as achievable against a Premiership side when we just got 16k against Gillingham, we should be talking about a guaranteed sell out. I think with the Gillingham crowd, new ground excitement, and a Premiership team the pound signs were flashing in the eyes of whoever decides these things, but they seem to have made a misjudgement. :shrug:

LB they do not "have a fair point to make" You are missing the point. The club have a published price list for first team home games (league and cup) and are offerring you a ticket at that price. You either choose to buy at that price or you don't!
It's always legitimate for customers of any product to make a point about the price that the supplier has set.

My particular complaint on this occasion is that the Club are justifying the price of the Sunderland tickets by claiming that to charge less would be "unfair to season ticket holders". That is nonsense. If they said they can charge what they want, that would at least make some sense. What they have said doesn't.

Sunderland Prices

... If the club was to reduce the prices of the matchday tickets, this would be unfair on the 18,000 season-ticket holders who have bought their season tickets in advance, and prices which directly correlate with those prices.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting

As already mentioned elsewhere by someone sensible, STH's are already rewarded for their loyalty by having significantly lower ticket prices for league games (than those buying at the published prices for one-off games) plus the 10% discount at stadium outlets and the club shop.

I am a season ticket holder, I understand commercial logic, I don't feel hard done by, and I will be buying three tickets for the Sunderland game.

100% agree

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I agree I think the club may have misjudged big time on this game - my seat cost me £37 today (inc £2 fees) which strikes me as a hell of a lot for a second round tie even though I can easily afford it. My neighbour sits in the block next to me and has 2 boys who want to go but he spoke to me today and said that he just couldn't justify around £80 for him and his boys for a one off game which is a shame. Let's just hope the club know what they are doing - there is a lot of good faith towards the club at the moment and people are being caught up on a wave of euphoria regarding the Amex, I just hope the club don't start alienating those on lower incomes.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
For North Stand season ticket holders, the Club is charging £17.17 a game for league matches. The charge to North Stand season ticket holders for the Sunderland game is £24 + a £2 booking fee. This is 51 per cent more expensive than a league match.

You can tell you've been involved in politics! You are not comparing apples with apples here. You are trying to compare a ticket price heavily discounted for buying in bulk and paying many months ahead with a standard price ticket!

You are also adding-in a booking fee that either costs less than that if you buy more than one ticket for F&F or indeed is FREE if you buy at the ticket offices!

So let's try your sum again shall we? The cost of a standard price league ticket for the North Stand is £24 and the cost of the same ticket for the Sunderland game bought at the ticket office is . . . . . . £24! No difference whatseover.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The people complaining have a fair point to make. For North Stand season ticket holders, the Club is charging £17.17 a game for league matches. The charge to North Stand season ticket holders for the Sunderland game is £24 + a £2 booking fee. This is 51 per cent more expensive than a league match.

Yet the Club is defending its charges on the grounds that to charge less would be "unfair to season ticket holders".

I could understand an argument that justifies non-season ticket holders paying more than season ticket holders. But that isn't what's happening. Season ticket holders are feeling ripped off and the Club doesn't seem to understand why.

I made this point on the other thread but I think we are paying L1 ST prices for Championship football. I still don't understand how it is unfair to STH though.

You can tell you've been involved in politics! You are not comparing apples with apples here. You are trying to compare a ticket price heavily discounted for buying in bulk and paying many months ahead with a standard price ticket!

You are also adding-in a booking fee that either costs less than that if you buy more than one ticket for F&F or indeed is FREE if you buy at the ticket offices!

So let's try your sum again shall we? The cost of a standard price league ticket for the North Stand is £24 and the cost of the same ticket for the Sunderland game bought at the ticket office is . . . . . . £24! No difference whatseover.
It was the Club who brought the price of season tickets into the argument, not me!

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
If, for the sake of argument, the Club decided to charge you £20 for a Sunderland ticket, would you, as a season ticket holder, feel that this was being "unfair" to you?

no, why would I? I have brought mine and my daughters with booking fee for £30 - family section

It's always legitimate for customers of any product to make a point about the price that the supplier has set.

My particular complaint on this occasion is that the Club are justifying the price of the Sunderland tickets by claiming that to charge less would be "unfair to season ticket holders". That is nonsense. If they said they can charge what they want, that would at least make some sense. What they have said doesn't.

Sunderland Prices

Sorry LB I think Insider is right he is talking about normal championship games and saying they will not reduce ticket prices less than STH have paid as this would be "unfair", and knowing how the people on here love to moan I would say if they did this we would this time be within our rights if suddenly they sell remaining championship game tickets at less than the rate than a STH paid upfront.

The club is under no obligation to discount the standard rate for cup games to STH or non-STH, it seems in this instance (unlike gillingham) they have elected not to this time. Time will tell if they have set the right level.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Interesting, the thread opener is moaning about those moaning about ticket prices, when he can easliy afford a posh seat and of course gets the match as a freebie.

Not exactly qualified to critise the mere mortals who disagree with ticket prices

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
There is nothing wrong with putting forward your opinion if you are unhappy about something to do with your club. Isnt that what weve all been doing all these years. We are not the sort of fans (usually) who sit on our backsides and complain quietly. We march, we protest we make our views known. Yes its fantastic that we have the new stadium, yes im caught up on the cloud of happiness too but if we have a gripe, we have the right to let our views be heard. Even if ultimately we have to take a decision to agree with the club or not go to that match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here