Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blatter you twat/ Suarez charged over Evra incident (merged)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Racism is a question of definition. Pikey is acceptable to many on this board (even tho there is a caravan park a stones throw from the amex) but other words are not. The sentiment of Blatter is, "grow up and get on with it". Its a great press story, the press love it and it gives many a great opportunity to be superior, but frankly, John Terry sleeping with his mates miss's was far worse than a verbal slanging match that could equally have been an "irish, Welsh, ginger or whatever cu next tuesday". I say this and I dont rate Terry as a great footballer - he is the typical english centre half and the type of player that shows why england have been rubbish for at least the last 20 years

Sorry mate, I get your points but the underlying issue, is that Blatter said Racism on the field is acceptable and should be brushed off at the end with a handshake. There is no defence for that, the guy is a disaster.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If Suarez said anything it was the word "Negrao" which is a common nick name for any Black person in South America. It literally means "Big Black" and has absolutely no racial connotations.
With his very limited knowledge of English it is no wonder he would say this during a game as in his mind there is nothing offensive in it.

Negrao might be acceptable in South America, though I can't understand why, but it does sound remarkably similar to negro which is hardly acceptable in Europe. I guess we should wait until the hearing is held and, although I can't believe the FA would charge someone without a reasonable chance of it being proven, Suarez should expect a very severe punishment if found guilty.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If Suarez said anything it was the word "Negrao" which is a common nick name for any Black person in South America. It literally means "Big Black" and has absolutely no racial connotations.

I was told to keep all my personal belongings safely, by a charming Cuban couple, as they didn't trust their "Negrao" cleaner, despite her having worked there for 12 years.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
... a common nick name for any Black person in South America.

.... It literally means "Big Black" and has absolutely no racial connotations.

I think you mean "racist".

But you do appear to have a point (after I looked it up) to a point.

The word (or similar) can simply mean "mate" - irrespective of race at all. Fascinating how that found itself into the language like that, but it does appear to be the case.

I encountered a similar thing from an African friend of mine who was using a word that was offensive over here but not from his home. And this was in the context of speaking English. Must point out this wasn't a word being used in an "ironic way" - or one that had been "reclaimed".

Simply it somehow slipped into the English being spoken over there without any sense at all that it was derogatory.

He readily accepted it was offensive over here and thanked me for the tip ! When in Rome etc....

However - I don't believe the FA are that stupid to charge him with an offence for using a word that actually means "mate" in his homeland. I'm not suggesting he did - but I'd imagine whatever has been claimed (and backed up by others) is somewhat different.

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I think you mean "racist".

But you do appear to have a point (after I looked it up) to a point.

The word (or similar) can simply mean "mate" - irrespective of race at all. Fascinating how that found itself into the language like that, but it does appear to be the case.

I encountered a similar thing from an African friend of mine who was using a word that was offensive over here but not from his home. And this was in the context of speaking English. Must point out this wasn't a word being used in an "ironic way" - or one that had been "reclaimed".

Simply it somehow slipped into the English being spoken over there without any sense at all that it was derogatory.

He readily accepted it was offensive over here and thanked me for the tip ! When in Rome etc....

However - I don't believe the FA are that stupid to charge him with an offence for using a word that actually means "mate" in his homeland. I'm not suggesting he did - but I'd imagine whatever has been claimed (and backed up by others) is somewhat different.

The word "Mate" is is exactly the meaning of "Negrao" to a Black friend. I lived in Brasil for 10 years and it is 100% acceptable. I called my driver/bodyguard it for over 5 years and I trusted him taking and picking up my kids from school on a daily basis, so I trusted him with the most important people in my life!
I am not sure about France, but I am sure, probably erroneously, that no one at LFC went though the do's and don't s of the English language before he started playing.
I really hope it was said without intent, because he is proving to be a great player in the PL. However, if it is proven that he said it knowing it's meaning, here in the UK he deserves everything he gets.
I just do not know how it can be proven 100%. In my opinion, I sadly think evra knew the exact meaning but has used it to create this scandal as he did before with a non-playing member of staff at chelsea.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Racism is a question of definition. Pikey is acceptable to many on this board (even tho there is a caravan park a stones throw from the amex) but other words are not. The sentiment of Blatter is, "grow up and get on with it". Its a great press story, the press love it and it gives many a great opportunity to be superior, but frankly, John Terry sleeping with his mates miss's was far worse than a verbal slanging match that could equally have been an "irish, Welsh, ginger or whatever cu next tuesday". I say this and I dont rate Terry as a great footballer - he is the typical english centre half and the type of player that shows why england have been rubbish for at least the last 20 years

Sorry fella, but I am a bit lost, what has the fact that the leader of World football seems to condone racism, got to do with John Terry messing with another woman? I may have missed an obvious point here, so sorry if that's the case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here