Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blame Harveys not Greene King

G

I heard today that Harveys wouldn't sell their beer to Greene King to distribute in their pubs. Harveys will only sell it through 'The Beer Seller' and Greene King cannot let their landlords buy beer from independent suppliers.

Greene King were Harveys biggest customer before they bought the pubs, so Harveys are the culprits not Greene King.

I don't think Greene King expected the backlash from locals and are feeling the pain as drinkers vote with their feet but if they could get hold of Harveys directly they would put it back in the pubs in a flash.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I had my first pint of Harveys Old of the season yesterday,it was excellent.It would be terrible if we ever lost our local brewery,I hate to drive past that new building that replaced the King and Barnes one in Horsham,although they still make good beers out of their shed in Foundry Lane.
In case anyone is interested the pub I was at yesterday was the Sussex Ox at Milton Street, great food, great staff, and most of all great beer.
:drink:

www.harveysonline.co.uk

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Stoke said:
I heard today that Harveys wouldn't sell their beer to Greene King to distribute in their pubs. Harveys will only sell it through 'The Beer Seller' and Greene King cannot let their landlords buy beer from independent suppliers.

So, GK make conditions on their landlords and that's Harvey's fault?

As DKM said, people will vote with their feet.

G

The conditions are part of the tenancy agreement which were not added because of Harveys but are standard.

If Greene King allow the landlords to buy Harveys from the Beer Seller then the landlord could buy anything from them.

The issue is that people are blaming Greene King for not selling Harveys when in fact Harveys won't sell it to them.

I suspect that the agreement between Harveys and the Beer Seller won't allow Harveys to sell to Greene King but that is Harveys fault. Hopefully this is a short term agreement and that Harveys come to their senses.

Greene King introduced a Moorland beer alongside Abbot and IPA because they thought it was more akin to Harveys and that customers would drink that. Another strategy cock up.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
aap.jpg

G

How come the Lewes Arms still sells Harveys?

Because the Lewes Arms is not run by the same part of Greene King as the other Pubs.

Sooner or later the Lewes Arms may have to dispense with Harveys as well.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
dougdeep said:
I had my first pint of Harveys Old of the season yesterday,it was excellent.It would be terrible if we ever lost our local brewery,I hate to drive past that new building that replaced the King and Barnes one in Horsham,although they still make good beers out of their shed in Foundry Lane.
In case anyone is interested the pub I was at yesterday was the Sussex Ox at Milton Street, great food, great staff, and most of all great beer.
:drink:

www.harveysonline.co.uk

Is 'Old' out already? Where can I get it in the Croydon vicinity?

Stoke said:
Because the Lewes Arms is not run by the same part of Greene King as the other Pubs.

Sooner or later the Lewes Arms may have to dispense with Harveys as well.
There is only one Greene King running pubs in Lewes.

The Lewes Arms has customers who simply will not tolerate the loss of Harvey's and Greene King know this. Lewes Arms customers are the Albion fans of drinking.

I agree that, sooner or later, this may come to a head. My money would be on a final outcome that sees the customers running Greene King out of town (or at least out of Mount Place).

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
How many pubs does Greene King run in Lewes?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord Bracknell said:

The Lewes Arms has customers who simply will not tolerate the loss of Harvey's and Greene King know this. Lewes Arms customers are the Albion fans of drinking.

I agree that, sooner or later, this may come to a head. My money would be on a final outcome that sees the customers running Greene King out of town (or at least out of Mount Place).

The ravens will leave the Tower of London before The Lewes Arms stops selling Harvey's.

Ex Shelton Seagull said:
How many pubs does Greene King run in Lewes?
All of the pubs that they acquired from Beards.

Curiously, Harveys run only the Swan (at Southover), the Dorset Arms and the John Harvey Tavern. This goes back to the days when Beards and Harveys were the two brewers in Lewes. They both owned pubs in and around the area, but there was an agreement between the two companies that shared out the territory. Beards had the town and Harveys had the surrounding countryside. Southover counted as an out-of-town location.

When Beards stopped brewing, they continued bottling for Harveys and sold Harveys beer in all their pubs. The Dorset Arms and the John Harvey Tavern were bought by Harveys comparatively recently, so were outside the scope of the agreement with Beards.

Beards sold all of their pubs to Greene King about six or seven years ago, as part of a GK plan to get a foothold in Sussex. That's the origin of the problem that we are now facing. It could be very serious for the town of Lewes if nearly all of the traditional outlets for Harveys no longer make it available.

That's the point of last year's Commercial Square Bonfire Society effigy, pictured further up this thread.

G

Lord Bracknell said:

Unless they have changed recently the pubs were, for some reason, under different divisions of Greene King and will therefore have different area managers which is why the Lewes Arms continues to sell Harveys.

The senior management that run the division that the Lewes Arms are part of are reluctant to take Harveys out but the pressure was from Green King corporate to fall in line.

When Harveys was removed from the Black Horse their Greene King area manager was physically threatened and Greene King take the issue very seriously but the decision to sell Harveys rests with Harveys and not Greene King.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Stoke said:
The conditions are part of the tenancy agreement which were not added because of Harveys but are standard.

If Greene King allow the landlords to buy Harveys from the Beer Seller then the landlord could buy anything from them.

The issue is that people are blaming Greene King for not selling Harveys when in fact Harveys won't sell it to them.

I suspect that the agreement between Harveys and the Beer Seller won't allow Harveys to sell to Greene King but that is Harveys fault. Hopefully this is a short term agreement and that Harveys come to their senses.

Greene King introduced a Moorland beer alongside Abbot and IPA because they thought it was more akin to Harveys and that customers would drink that. Another strategy cock up.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm said:
I thought I read in the paper last week the Lewes Arms were stopping selling Harvey's - has they changed their mind ?
Greene King are indeed threatening to remove Harvey's from the Lewes Arms in the New Year - despite Harveys accounting for 80 per cent of beer sold in the pub.

The customers are mounting a MASSIVE campaign against them - it reached Radio Four's Today programme this morning. Meridian are carrying it this evening. And the national press were there at lunchtime today.

GK's bland (and complacent) response - roughly along the lines of "people like our beer" - suggests that they have no idea of the strength of the opposition they are facing.

Follow the story here:-

http://lewesarms.blogspot.com/

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
I am told that Harveys are the only brewery without a proper marketing/sales function because they alway sell 100% of their product

Does that make Harveys geniuses or lazy b...ards?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here