Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blair's Knowing Look

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
northstandnorth said:
voted labour all my adult life except for the last 4 years,dont vote now because there is no one to vote for.

blair should stand trial for the war criminal he is

Terrible attitude to have. If theres absolutely no-one you'll vote for, then and ONLY then do you not vote. You spoil your vote.

Not voting, and also not understanding the voting system (Irelands is terribyl complex, for instance) are both terrible in my eyes. Almost criminal in the case of the former.

larus

northstandnorth said:

small example

my employer(one of the worlds largest industrial giants)has closed the final salary pension scheme to new members(i am all right .i am in it)totally illegal in france or germany,they have been stopped from doing the same to colleagues over there

This isn't anything to do with the tories nor big business FFS.

It's economics. As a population we are living longer. If you are on on a final salary scheme, when the scheme was originally set-up, the average life expectancy of a man upon reaching pensionable age was about 67. Thats' right, about 2 years. The average life expectancy has now changed to about 7-10 days. Percentage change, f***ing huge.

The companies just can't afford it. And like it or not, whatever type of pension scheme you are in, you are going to have to accept that:
1. You save more (a lot more) or -
2. You retire later (says 70 -75) - or
3. You get a very small pension.

If you've worked for 40 years, and paid in say 10% (tops) of your salary to your pension, that equates to 4 years full salary. How can you expect to get a 50% final salary for 10-20 years from that amount?

Be real, don't blame
1. Business - or -
2. The Government.

Actually, If you want someone to blame, take a long, hard look at Gordon Brown. He's taxed the pension funds by about £40 billion pounds since he became chancellor (the tax on dividend payments to pensions).

This has a knock-on effect. This £40bn punds has not been invested in the stock-market, therefore share prices are lower (supply/demend econoics). This, coupled with the minimum funding requirement of pensions, has meant that companies have had to close final salary schemes, as they could not find the funds required to meet the new (labour) legislation.

So, this easy tax by a labour government (lets do stealth taxes, as most people dont' realise), has hit you in an indirect way. It's not your company thats' f***ed up, it's this wonderful, business friendly :lol: :lol: labour governemt.

Simple fact, if you don't make profits, you can't create wealth for the country as a whole. Bear that in mind when you hear about taxes on business. Indirectly, it will have an effect on you and everyone else.

No matter what you say about Margaret Thatcher (and she had her faults), she was responsible for a huge economic turn-around for this country. If you don't generate the wealth/profits, you can't invest in schools/hospitals/police/etc.

MYOB said:
Terrible attitude to have. If theres absolutely no-one you'll vote for, then and ONLY then do you not vote. You spoil your vote.

Not voting, and also not understanding the voting system (Irelands is terribyl complex, for instance) are both terrible in my eyes. Almost criminal in the case of the former.

No - voting for someone just cuz he or she ain't quite as bad as the others - THAT'S criminal. Not voting is a political choice absolutely on a par with voting, as long as it is a deliberate political act.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
fatbadger said:
No - voting for someone just cuz he or she ain't quite as bad as the others - THAT'S criminal. Not voting is a political choice absolutely on a par with voting, as long as it is a deliberate political act.

However, if you want "the establishment" to KNOW you're protesting you've got to spoil the ballot. Not turning up is the mugs way out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
larus said:
No matter what you say about Margaret Thatcher (and she had her faults), she was responsible for a huge economic turn-around for this country. If you don't generate the wealth/profits, you can't invest in schools/hospitals/police/etc.

Bullshit. That bitch maintained 'there is no such thing as society' and was hell-bent on the destruction of state education and the National Health Service. Sure she was pretty damn smart at letting market forces 'generate the wealth/profits' - but at a shocking cost to the fabric of the country as a whole. The Eighties was a disgusting Greed Is Good decade. Even the music was shit.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Tom Hark said:
Even the music was shit.
*Squares up to THPP*

OI! SOME of the music was shit. However, some of the best tracks in existance came out of that decade. For instance, the first track recognisable as dance - Blue Monday is from 83.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
MYOB said:
*Squares up to THPP*

OI! SOME of the music was shit. However, some of the best tracks in existance came out of that decade. For instance, the first track recognisable as dance - Blue Monday is from 83.

Good point, well made. I retract that remark. MOST of the music was shit. Blue Monday was not.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Tom Hark said:
Good point, well made. I retract that remark. MOST of the music was shit. Blue Monday was not.

Thank you. If you insult the 1997-2001 period musically (minus the manafactured kiddie pop) I will however have to attack you with the violent shininess of my late 1990's clothes....

larus

Tom Hark said:
Bullshit. That bitch maintained 'there is no such thing as society' and was hell-bent on the destruction of state education and the National Health Service. Sure she was pretty damn smart at letting market forces 'generate the wealth/profits' - but at a shocking cost to the fabric of the country as a whole. The Eighties was a disgusting Greed Is Good decade. Even the music was shit.

OK, let's go back to the Seventies shall we.

Trade union power, 3 day week, policy decided by union leaders weilding unreasonable power.

OK, Maggie had her faults, but the country needed a strong leader to break the stranglehold that the unions had over the country.

The enterprise culture went too far, but she also tried to empower ordinary people; such as selling council houses to the tenants. Where they f***ed up on this was by stopping the councils building more accomodation.

If everything that she did was so bad, why is is htat a labour government after 7 years in power has yet to make major changes to the trade union laws. The only changes are being driven through the EU, and look at the shower of shit that France/Germany/Italy are in.

Thatcher or Chirac, hmm, let me think. Right, that didn't take long. Iron Lady for me, every time. Warts 'n all.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Dick Knights Mum said:
Remember at the time of the questions over WMD's Blair got into the habit when being questioned of giving a little smile and a knowing raise of the eyebrow as if to say "well, if only I was allowed to tell you what I know" ......

I still can't quite believe that he DOESN'T know something else. I have a few army friends who really believe that there's something very scary we don't know, which if we did, would change all our minds immediately. The problem is, when are we going to find out?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Been Labour all my life but can never put an X next to red whilst Blair (Smug W*nker) is in charge of the party. In my opinion he should be up with Milosovic as a war criminal.

Im going for the Libs, becasue Id love it if the tories were beaten into 3rd place.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
1997 was very funny. Just after the election I was with some left-wing clients who should have been celebrating, but couldn't because they knew their party had been hijacked by a bunch of pseudo tories. God knows how anyone votes for a party led by him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
larus said:
OK, let's go back to the Seventies shall we.

Trade union power, 3 day week, policy decided by union leaders weilding unreasonable power.

OK, Maggie had her faults, but the country needed a strong leader to break the stranglehold that the unions had over the country.

The enterprise culture went too far, but she also tried to empower ordinary people; such as selling council houses to the tenants. Where they f***ed up on this was by stopping the councils building more accomodation.

If everything that she did was so bad, why is is htat a labour government after 7 years in power has yet to make major changes to the trade union laws. The only changes are being driven through the EU, and look at the shower of shit that France/Germany/Italy are in.

Thatcher or Chirac, hmm, let me think. Right, that didn't take long. Iron Lady for me, every time. Warts 'n all.

Margaret Thatcher and her cronies knew the price of everything and the value of nothing. Snouts in the trough for her friends in the City, whole communities left to wither and die. Cheap heroin, Care In The Community, The Poll Tax. Disgusting times. Disgusting people. When Labour won with a landslide in '97, it felt like a liberating army was rolling into town.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
MYOB said:
However, if you want "the establishment" to KNOW you're protesting you've got to spoil the ballot. Not turning up is the mugs way out.
Not turning up or spoiling your ballot will have exactly the same effect on things: none at all.

If people want to change things, they should take an active part in it - either by standing, or joining a party and trying to get involved in policy making.

Pretending that anyone will care if you spoil your ballot is just delusional; it will be forgotten 24 hours later, unlike the election result.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Duncan H said:
Not turning up or spoiling your ballot will have exactly the same effect on things: none at all.

If people want to change things, they should take an active part in it - either by standing, or joining a party and trying to get involved in policy making.

Pretending that anyone will care if you spoil your ballot is just delusional; it will be forgotten 24 hours later, unlike the election result.

OK, maybe the UK is different but here they count and analyise the spoiled ballots and provide data on what was written on them.

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
Oh how beastly Thatcher was and good old red Ken was a hero and the tories are money grabbing xenophobes and UKIP are rascist and the war is so wrong and the empire was a, blah blah blah ...............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and sleep,

Good night and thankyou

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Oh how wonderful Thatcher was and beastly red Ken was a nightmare and the left are tax grabbing looneys and UKIP are the way and the war is so justified and the empire was a so good some countries wanted to sta, blah blah blah ...............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and sleep,

Good night and thankyou

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here