Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Studs

Votes: 18 85.7%

• Total voters

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Blades or Studs

The El-Abd injury has reminded me of the ongoing debate over the pros and cons of using blades as opposed to studs. Some while back there was a move to ban blades at Junior football games presumable for fear of an El-Abd style tear. But surely a stud which has become damaged and serrated could inflict an equally nasty cut.

What views from NSC?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I got a stub underneath my kneecap, whilst playing [SIZE=0.00002]rugby[/SIZE]. There was blood everywhere! The chap that inflicted the injury passed out! :lol:

It doesn't seem to have made much difference - there do not appear to be many more or less of those sort of injuries. Certainly they fall over a lot more!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've always thought that Blades on football boots looked like they were dangerous, and Adam El-Abd's injury would seem to confirm this. So I prefer studs on grounds of safety (not that can't give you a nasty graze).

What about you, straight choice - Blades or Studs?

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Makes me cringe thinking about it. I suppose either on the end of a big old leg will do some serious damage! I saw Andy Hessenthaler during a game have the front of his shin ripped open by blades, it was horrific. I think Tank wears studs but you wouldnt want to be on the recieving end of one of his feet :eek:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Race said:
Makes me cringe thinking about it. I suppose either on the end of a big old leg will do some serious damage! I saw Andy Hessenthaler during a game have the front of his shin ripped open by blades, it was horrific. I think Tank wears studs but you wouldnt want to be on the recieving end of one of his feet :eek:

I've been on the receiving end of plenty of poor tackles over the last 20 years in amateur football, and I can't say I've noticed any difference overall, to be honest.

A stud I would think is more likely to break through your shinpad than a blade, as the force is concentrated into a smaller contact area.

If it's on bare skin, I think that plastic blades tend to get damaged and have sharp edges, from walking about on concrete, etc and so cuts to the skin are very prevalent.

On refelection, I think that blades are more liekly to cause an injury, but that studs are more likely to cause a serious one.

Possibly!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
hans kraay fan club said:
A stud I would think is more likely to break through your shinpad than a blade, as the force is concentrated into a smaller contact area.
I wholeheartedly dispute that claim. If the stud and the blade hit square on then I suppose you are correct, although I doubt the variation could make that much of a difference. Turn the blades at a 45 degree angle, a bit like that of an outstretched leg going over the top of a ball, and you hit on the corner of the blade where the surface area is reduced dramatically. Studs on the other hand are quite rounded so it won't make as much difference.

On a personal note, I've never worn blades because they are always on trendy new boots with shit 'leather', I only wear Puma Kings. I suppose as an alternative to mouldeds they are ok.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
A lot of people think Blades are one of the major causes of injuries like Adam Hinshelwood's where his foot got stuck on the turf.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Wilka said:
A lot of people think Blades are one of the major causes of injuries like Adam Hinshelwood's where his foot got stuck on the turf.

Indeed. Blades are good on hard ground (more surface area = better turning ability) but are dangerous when the ground is soft.

crosbysleftear

Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Wearing studs on hard, summer pitches is agony but during the winter when pitches are like bogs it has to be studs otherwise you can't stand up.

I wore my studs for the first time on Sunday, definately needed to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here