Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackthorn: now sweet and weak pisswater

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I'm also pretty sure there is some sort of law limiting the strength of beer/cider. Although that could also be urban myth.

I think this is true.

I was once at a beer festival and there was a cider stand. One of the ciders was advertised as having a strength of "8.5%+"

I asked him what the + meant and he said it was actually about 17% but if it's above 8.5% then he's not allowed to call it cider, it gets classified as wine & it moves into a higher tax bracket so he'd make less money!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I had some of this on draft over the weekend at the Half Moon in Plumpton. It was delish - Addlestones premium cloudy cider.

When I'm near Yeovil I always make a point of dropping in here - to see the astonishingly pretty Sally if not just for the cider - Burrow Hill Cider Farm. They make fantastic cider - scrumpy and slightly sweetened for the grockles like me - along with some amazing apple brandy. Just off the A303 - worth a detour if you're down that way.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
When i was a lad....the Bo'sun could sometimes be a bit busy so it would be a trip down the road to the Vanguard (was Greens a few years back, not sure what it's called now) where you could get a qtr bottle of Blackthorn for 60p.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I was chatting to my brother in law at the weekend about cider we used to get at the Royal Oak in Poynings in the early 80s. We'd gather at the Sportsman at Westdean then maybe 20 or so of us would convoy out there to play bar billiards and drink the cheap cider. 50p/pint I recall - and not even pumped or poured, just scooped from the barrel.

I guess it was genuine local headache water and it always gave me trouble, but was very cheap and an abiding memory.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
If you want real proper cider then 'Old rosie' is now what your looking for.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This is good news. The 'new' blackthorn was rubbish.

[edit] Rubbish, it is only available in the south west.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
good news - though i never realised that Gaymers had been takeb=n over by Magners. That's pissed me off big style. Blackthorn seems to be being killed around here - loads of pubs have taken it out and put Strongbow in instead as it's a cheaper wholeale price and, as we all know, pubs are struggling.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There was a farm on the road from Ashington to Adversane that used to sell cider in 2 or 4 pint containers like milk bottles not sure of the strength but I used to buy it on the way home from football and then resell it in the pub and it was very popular. Not sure if the farm is still there as I dont go down that road very often, It was more popular than the Addlestones that we sold. That is said to get stronger the longer it is connected and standing.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I live within yards of the old Taunton Cider factory near Taunton.Now I was never much a fan of Taunton cider,preferring Sheppy's locally,or whichever good cider was served round and about.But the Cider works is now a new millenium Toytown,with more and more " built in 4 days on the floodplain to satisfy government targets " houses,so on the whole I'd even take to drinking Taunton cider,as I'll admit to doing now and then when I wore a younger man's clothes.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I live within yards of the old Taunton Cider factory near Taunton.Now I was never much a fan of Taunton cider,preferring Sheppy's locally,or whichever good cider was served round and about.But the Cider works is now a new millenium Toytown,with more and more " built in 4 days on the floodplain to satisfy government targets " houses,so on the whole I'd even take to drinking Taunton cider,as I'll admit to doing now and then when I wore a younger man's clothes.

erm - have you been at it this morning? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Blackthorn: now sweet and weak pisswater. Yes, I know 'thorn is not 'proper cider' really .....

Isn't this inviting a writ, and (even worse) encouraging others to do so? I know it's your site, but if an organization which isn't a limited company is successfully sued, I believe its members are all equally liable. Although with no private address database, they may just choose you to pay up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here