Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn spending

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I miss your point. Please explain.

According to some reports, Venkys were unaware that the bottom three teams would be relegated, they thought it was a closed league. So while the team was actually fighting relegation all season, Venkys didn't know it until later in the season.

D

Deleted member 22389

They should be made to get the finances in order using the parachute payments before going out and buying players.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
According to some reports, Venkys were unaware that the bottom three teams would be relegated, they thought it was a closed league. So while the team was actually fighting relegation all season, Venkys didn't know it until later in the season.

You're shitting me? Oh my... In that case, that's f***ing funny and I retract my 'flirting with relegation' comment...

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The parachute payment is the obvious answer here.It comes from pockets other than the owners' and they seem to view it as a bonus.If they can lose some of the big earners and buy in others on less maybe it will work.Murphy ? Good,but how many 90 min championship games will he last ? Never rated Best,and he's had a few teams now,hasn't he - probably score against us after saying that.The trick for Blackburn is to be near the top from the off,otherwise the counter attractions of their metropolis will lead to much lower gates.

Last edited:

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
The parachute payment is the obvious answer here.It comes from pockets other than the owners' and they seem to view it as a bonus.If they can lose some of the big earners and buy in others on less maybe it will work.Murphy ? Good,but how many 90 min championship games will he last ? Never rated Best,and he's had a few teams now,hasn't he - probably score against us after saying that.The trick for Blackburn is to be near the top from the off,otherwise the counter attractions of their metropolis will lead to much lower gates.

But don't forget they don't get the £30m+ a year TV money, rather just £2m. There are huge losses to be absorbed when going down to the Football League.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009

I can't believe that's true! They may be new to football and haven't run Blackburn well since taking over, but they're successful business people. They can't possibly have been unaware of such an obvious risk in their business plan.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't believe that's true! They may be new to football and haven't run Blackburn well since taking over, but they're successful business people. They can't possibly have been unaware of such an obvious risk in their business plan.

Well, it's true that it was stated in a lot of reports, but in all the google results I can be bothered to look through (not many of them, tbh) it seems to be something fans are repeating without any reputable source. It may or may not be true, I don't know, but does seem to have been repeated a lot.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Well, it's true that it was stated in a lot of reports, but in all the google results I can be bothered to look through (not many of them, tbh) it seems to be something fans are repeating without any reputable source. It may or may not be true, I don't know, but does seem to have been repeated a lot.

Not doubting you on that front at all. But sounds to me like something someone made up, or said in jest, that got repeated by Blackburn fans because it suited their characterisation of Venkys as a bunch of complete morons. Seeing how some of the made up rumours on here quickly get adopted as facts I can imagine how that might have happened.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
i know its the moose but

Ian Abrahams ‏[MENTION=15644]moose[/MENTION]_talkSPORT
Thanks to my colleague @WarrenHaughton for confirming Blackburn today signing Nuno Gomes, Fabio Nunes and Adrien Silva-big day at Ewood Park

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here