Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Blackburn Rovers

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Mowbray's words seem incredibly harsh, bearing in mind the injuries Khadra has had, and that he's played very few 90 minute matches this year because of them. Not really the sort of thing you expect a manager to come out with so strongly in public either. Seems at bit strange, especially as the other substitute who came on with Khadra and turned the game round, Butterworth (who's been at Blackburn through the youth ranks, so presumably up to speed with Mowbray's fitness regime), was the one reported by Blackburn fans to be blowing out of his arse after 15 minutes!

Wander what sort of blistering 'welcome' young van Hecke will get from the manager if and when he finally pulls on a Blackburn shirt? Still, at least young Khadra appears to have the fans' support!

I agree, they are really harsh... reading them back again... It's a bit like he's saying he's surprised by his lack of fitness and possibly having a bit of a pop at either the recruitment team and/or the medical team or indeed everyone including us as his parent club. Or even that there had been a bit of 'vocal' stuff from the crowd re playing Khadra early and he's making his point re where he's at?

No matter how your cut it, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement from the boss is it?

I actually think he needs time and he'll come good in respect of his match sharpness, but I was surprised to read the comments - as I said at the top, interesting stuff.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree, they are really harsh... reading them back again... It's a bit like he's saying he's surprised by his lack of fitness and possibly having a bit of a pop at either the recruitment team and/or the medical team or indeed everyone including us as his parent club. Or even that there had been a bit of 'vocal' stuff from the crowd re playing Khadra early and he's making his point re where he's at?

No matter how your cut it, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement from the boss is it?

I actually think he needs time and he'll come good in respect of his match sharpness, but I was surprised to read the comments - as I said at the top, interesting stuff.

It's just a contrast for us. Our manager will publicly back our players to the hilt. Our previous one did as well. Other managers are prepared to use the media to drive behaviour in a player. Maybe that's what is needed in this situation, maybe it isn't.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It's just a contrast for us. Our manager will publicly back our players to the hilt. Our previous one did as well. Other managers are prepared to use the media to drive behaviour in a player. Maybe that's what is needed in this situation, maybe it isn't.

Totally agree and each to their own... but, it'd be fascinated to know what the club thinks of the comments? especially given he's clearly a prospect we're nurturing and it goes right against how GP would handle this - at least publicly.

Hey ho...

Let's see what happens in the coming weeks and months.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Mowbray's words seem incredibly harsh, bearing in mind the injuries Khadra has had, and that he's played very few 90 minute matches this year because of them. Not really the sort of thing you expect a manager to come out with so strongly in public either. Seems at bit strange, especially as the other substitute who came on with Khadra and turned the game round, Butterworth (who's been at Blackburn through the youth ranks, so presumably up to speed with Mowbray's fitness regime), was the one reported by Blackburn fans to be blowing out of his arse after 15 minutes!

Wander what sort of blistering 'welcome' young van Hecke will get from the manager if and when he finally pulls on a Blackburn shirt? Still, at least young Khadra appears to have the fans' support!

They are harsh, but that also somewhat suggests TM felt the need to boot him up the @rse publicly. Hopefully it’s more to do with the injuries/lack of game time than a lack of application.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They are harsh, but that also somewhat suggests TM felt the need to boot him up the @rse publicly. Hopefully it’s more to do with the injuries/lack of game time than a lack of application.

Seems a very unnecessary 'boot up the arse' for a young player, makig his debut, who had just played an intrinsic part in turning the game around, to be called out in public as unfit like this. There is player management and there is player management ................... and I'm not impressed.

If Khadra comes back to us and makes a big impact in the PL, then if at any time TM is on fire, I hope Khadra keeps it in his trousers!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I don’t think there was anything too bad about Mowbray’s comments at all. If his fitness is behind the other players then he’s just stating a fact. He also said that Khadra was ‘electric’.

I don’t think Khadra will be put out by them at all as he will already know he’s not fit enough after doing the tests. All of this will help him grow as a professional footballer, it’s not all moonlight and roses and praise. He’s probably just focussed on getting that fitness up now, playing first team football and enjoying it. And what a great start he’s made there.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don’t think there was anything too bad about Mowbray’s comments at all. If his fitness is behind the other players then he’s just stating a fact. He also said that Khadra was ‘electric’.

I don’t think Khadra will be put out by them at all as he will already know he’s not fit enough after doing the tests. All of this will help him grow as a professional footballer, it’s not all moonlight and roses and praise. He’s probably just focussed on getting that fitness up now, playing first team football and enjoying it. And what a great start he’s made there.

No, it's not. It's not appropriate support either. Should have been done behind closed doors (if, of course, it was appropriate in the first place).

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hasn't Potter said about various players they're not ready for 90 minutes? He's said that about Welbeck, Lallana and I'm sure others. A few very precious people on this thread

GP would never have phrased things the way TM chose to, so obviously I take issue with the above. I just think it was a strange thing to do, especially so early on in his time at the club.

Obviously we all have differing perspectives perceptions of what is right or otherwise, but I don’t think I’m being ‘precious’ in the slightest - I actually agree that, for me, Khadra has carried too much timber since he’s been with us, and I say again his injuries will have contributed to his current lack of fitness. That’s why I feel this loan might well work to our advantage, as clearly TM demands high physical standards… however, there is no doubting that (for me) his comments would have been better said away from the media, but that’s just my opinion.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have the greatest respect for TM for actually giving information and opinion in an interview. He’s the boss over there so what he says counts and his words are mainly for the benefit of Rovers fans. These kids playing football are well paid. No need to worry about their fragile egos and I’m sure the lad takes it on board and wants to improve.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
GP would never have phrased things the way TM chose to, so obviously I take issue with the above. I just think it was a strange thing to do, especially so early on in his time at the club.

Obviously we all have differing perspectives perceptions of what is right or otherwise, but I don’t think I’m being ‘precious’ in the slightest - I actually agree that, for me, Khadra has carried too much timber since he’s been with us, and I say again his injuries will have contributed to his current lack of fitness. That’s why I feel this loan might well work to our advantage, as clearly TM demands high physical standards… however, there is no doubting that (for me) his comments would have been better said away from the media, but that’s just my opinion.

But there’s already talk about Khadra starting games now from the Blackburn fans. Mowbray is making it clear to them why he won’t be for the time being, that is absolutely fair enough. And just because he does and says things differently to Potter shouldn’t matter.

I really can’t see what he’s done wrong here. You see managers saying a certain player isn’t fit enough all the time, it’s not always seen as a criticism of the individuals attitude. I do think some are making a lot more of this than there is. Mowbray did also praise Khadra.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All a classic NSC storm in a teacup (a very precious teacup) again, isn't it? Blackburn wouldn't have taken him on loan if they didn't rate him. If he was 100% fit and that good he would have stayed here. And Mowbray is simply setting fans' expectations who can't understand why such a talent isn't starting.

Assuming he gets fitter all the time (he's basically still recovering) he'll get a few more starts and we'll have a very good player back, Win / win.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
All a classic NSC storm in a teacup (a very precious teacup) again, isn't it? Blackburn wouldn't have taken him on loan if they didn't rate him. If he was 100% fit and that good he would have stayed here. And Mowbray is simply setting fans' expectations who can't understand why such a talent isn't starting.

Assuming he gets fitter all the time (he's basically still recovering) he'll get a few more starts and we'll have a very good player back, Win / win.

Well put, I agree.

TNBA

TTF

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Is Emmerdale in between seasons or whats this urge for drama..?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Is Emmerdale in between seasons or whats this urge for drama..?

Emmerdale, Emmerdale!

Now that's a fairly bizarre reference even for you ... lol ... or especially for you !

I'm actually re watching the entirety of Lost, so I reckon it's far more about my obsession with the human psyche than I'd care to admit.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Indeed - Tony Mowbray has got NOTHING on John Gregory when it comes to criticising the fitness of on-loan Albion players - John Gregory having a pop at the Albion or telling it like it is?

To remind NSCers of what he said about Jeffrey Monakana (as reported by the Argus):-

Gregory said: “His fitness levels are appalling for somebody of his ability. Jeff has got a hell of a lot of talent but that's no good if you don't have the fitness to go with it. “I'm not sure Jeff can start a match and finish it and that is why we have only used him for 20 minutes. I know that if I start him he might struggle to even reach half-time. “I'm hoping this is a big wake-up call for him because he's a talented player. He started at Arsenal and now he's at Crawley so that says it all. He needs to get his act together and hopefully he will.”

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here