Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn priced out of move for Poyet

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
it will take either a huge money truck or someone willing to take a chance who isnt worried about reputation, maybe a new manager or one of their current players (Murphy springs to mind)

Agree. I think Berg was the one that didn't care. From statements coming out of club I reckon they could keep the current no name on with Murphy as his sidekick and then Murphy takes over next year.

There's nothing in that Inde article that has any credibility in my opinion

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That is a rather worrying report on two counts:

1. The compensation amount (if correct) for Gus is payable by most Championship and all Prem clubs. We need tp put a 0 at the end of that.

2. Blackburn even considered that Gus would join that north western hell hole, leaving behind our vibrant city. They obviously see us as a small club compared to their big club with massive appeal. Clowns.

Only the first point is worth consideration.

On the second, that is not worrying for us, but rather Blackburn. Anyone who has visited the areas knows there is no contest and now with the Amex and the new training facilities on the way there is absolutely no contest with the way the two clubs are headed long-term.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Blackburn are a club on the decline. The owners are ruining the club and their attendances are now half ours so I don't see why Gus would go there even if they could afford the compensation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Assuming that the article isn't complete bullshit, do we assume that Poyet has an agreement with Bloom that if a job comes up that he fancies we will have to be paid 2 million for him to break his contract? If not why didn't Bloom just tell Blackburn to do one and not get involved in compensation costs?

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
Gus is a great young manager, but he was another piece of great work by Tony Bloom. (and i dont know about you but i was shocked when it happened)

I think our club is in safe hands and TB would take 2mill and go out and shock us again.

The list Blackburn have got would not be good enough for TB.

It's been a while but for me i trust TB more than Gus, he seems like a fan first owner second and thats the way i like it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Assuming that the article isn't complete bullshit, do we assume that Poyet has an agreement with Bloom that if a job comes up that he fancies we will have to be paid 2 million for him to break his contract? If not why didn't Bloom just tell Blackburn to do one and not get involved in compensation costs?

I suspect that this part of the article has been made up to make the Blackburn owners look better than they actually are. They probably tried to contact TB and were told to go away.

Perhaps HB&B can ask a pertinent question at this weeks press conference?!!

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent

In short.... yes

everyone has a price and Gus can go "with our blessing" for 2mill without the club being able to do anything... but offer him better terms.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Blackburn priced out of move for £2m Poyet.

Blackburn Rovers have identified Gus Poyet as the man to replace Henning Berg as the club's new manager but have been priced out of a move due to the amount of compensation sought by his current club Brighton & Hove Albion. The Seagulls, who sit four places above Blackburn in the Championship, want £2m in recompense for their manager.

Poyet saw his stock rise further with last weekend's FA Cup win against Newcastle United and is rated as one of the brightest managerial prospects outside the Premier League. The Uruguayan headed an ambitious Ewood Park shortlist drawn up when Berg was sacked nearly a fortnight ago. That has since been revised, with Sean O'Driscoll, Peter Taylor and Port Vale manager Micky Adams among those now in the frame for the job.

O'Driscoll, who was sacked by Nottingham Forest on Boxing Day, has turned down the opportunity to manage Barnsley, while Taylor was dismissed as head coach of the Bahrain national team in October.

Blackburn have also issued a public apology to their former manager Sam Allardyce for allegations made against him by Steve Kean. Kean was first-team coach under Allardyce before taking over as manager just a month after the Indian poultry firm Venky's bought the club in 2010, and was caught making allegations on film during a tour of the Far East.

Blackburn priced out of move for £2m Poyet - Premier League - Football - The Independent

Micky Adams is a good league one manager so perhaps would suit them ?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's not just that, the manager has built your entire team based on his style. If you lose that manager, you have to start again, and replace players. Obviously not all players are changed when a manager changes, as that's not practical, but what's the point in letting Gus spend several million on players, and spend a couple of years getting them to gel, to then let him leave for £2? Madness.

You are totally right £2 is a bit cheap....£6.50 and just maybe it's worth having a chat

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They like our current/ex managers... perhaps we're their role model?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Let him go! Bag the 2 million and re appoint him next week when they have sacked him/changed their minds/ totally forgotten they appointed him in the first place. Don't understand why Rovers fans havn't run these idiots out of town. Could be doing another Pompey.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Poyet and Bloom would have laughed in their faces.

Blackburn :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here