Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit of background to Slade's problems

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We keep on hearing this though don't we? Adams apparently thought the players, especially the Wilkins babes, "wouldn't play for him" - but then according to some on here Wilkins didn't get on with ANYBODY and simply sat in the corner with his head on his knees rocking to and fro and mumbling to himself. And McGhee of course was reputed not to get on with the likes of Kuipers and "couldn't handle" Leon Knight.

I think that all clubs will have dissatisfied players as clubs tend to have squads of over 20 but ony 11 can be on the pitch at any one time. Plus the numbers involved means you are going to get little groups who hang out with each other and you are going to get people who dislike each other. A winning team obviously helps to paper over these cracks (and gives the manager kudos) but when you're struggling as we have for the last season and a bit everything crawls out of the woodwork.

jaylondon22

Jan 5, 2009
The lads that I speak to from brighton say that slade was a great bloke but a few of the lads took the piss out of him and particulay his coaching staff to the point of refusing bother in training drills. Coaching has been minimal since dean White left as training is mostly game or fitness based-ie. Less work on set plays and technique as opposed to running or playing team v reserves or youths.
Seems to only be a few players who are knobs, but nonetheless it's causing big problems and the buck stops with the management to stop this sort of thing either by refusing to play players - despite how much they cost.
Need a strong character to stamp his authority and hopefully bloom will get him. Having a change of the coaches was a start so lets hope he can finish the jib by getting in a half decent and ambitious manager and having the courage to give him space to appoint who he wants as coaches and play what players he wants.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Always amazes me how so many people think that respect can be gained through fear - i.e "bang heads together", "kick some arse", "don't take any prisoners" :bla::bla::bla:

I'd say the overwhelming majority of respected people in positions of power - be they football managers, teachers, coaches or anyone charged with authority over others - don't need to resort to shouting and hollering at people or bullying them into submission.

You sir are very naive!

Ferguson, Capello, Wenger, Benitez, Redknapp, Hughes, Allardyce, Bruce, Pulis, O'Neill, Moyes.

All successful and all disciplinarians. Footballers are generally overgrown schoolkids, need boundaries and strict rules-as proved by our Year 8's at present!

There are very few successful cuddly Steve Coppells out there!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This really is Groundhog day. There was a similar situation at the club when Mr Bamber and Mr Bloom had a moment of genius and employed the most famous disciplinarian the game has ever seen. The rest is history.
The problem is who are the current Clough and Taylor.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
This really is Groundhog day. There was a similar situation at the club when Mr Bamber and Mr Bloom had a moment of genius and employed the most famous disciplinarian the game has ever seen. The rest is history.
The problem is who are the current Clough and Taylor.

Well Clough did sod all in his time here although Alan Mullery benefited from Peter Taylor's (the first) efforts greatly.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Well Clough did sod all in his time here although Alan Mullery benefited from Peter Taylor's (the first) efforts greatly.

That's not the way I remember it. Before Clough left they had decimated the playing staff, which enabled Taylor to start again. Although the less vocal of the pair I suspect Taylor was no less a disciplinarian.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I thought they meant Mullery. Didn't Bamber hire him after seeing him punch a team mate in a game?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought they meant Mullery. Didn't Bamber hire him after seeing him punch a team mate in a game?

Given our disciplinary record this season, would a manager like that be a good idea? :jester:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Our sending's off are usually for petty offences or reckless tackles in areas where there's no need to make them. We don't have a violent team, if anything they are too soft compared to the likes of Oatway, Carpenter and that team which was full of 'men'.

It does seem that too many of our current players are acting like spolit kids and we need a manager to show just who is in charge and then we'll need fans who will understand whena particular favourite is out of the side.

We have a right to expect, when we pay our hard earned, that the players who wear the shirt take the job seriosly.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You could tell something was wrong and these idiotic players should be fined and punished or sacked.Its time for a proper manager so lets get roy kean in:lolol:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Spot on.
Cloughie took the piss,whilst he was here.At least Taylor had the decency to hang around for a bit longer!
Remember the time well....I was on my honeymoon !!!and could hardly believe the headlines in the papers.Huge publicity for the club....then came the 'glory years'!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I remember in my mid 20's having an interview for a promotion to team leader at L&G.

The gaffer, Dave Wingfield asked me " what is the most important thing to have from your team ? ".

I, in my niavety said

" to be liked ".

No he replied

" to be respected "

I lost the job there and then and DW taught me an important lesson.

Slade was liked but not respected and I think that was obvious.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That's not the way I remember it. Before Clough left they had decimated the playing staff, which enabled Taylor to start again. Although the less vocal of the pair I suspect Taylor was no less a disciplinarian.

taylor missed the last games in his regime he stayed at home so something was very wrong until Mullery came in and I seem to remember Mullers throwing Pipers shirt back at him and sacking him until someone stepped in all over Mullers taking him off after playing like a prat.

a reserve game at Fulham Mr Bamber could see in him what the Albion needed.

You could tell something was wrong and these idiotic players should be fined and punished or sacked.Its time for a proper manager so lets get roy kean in:lolol:
funny last week I put on here about John Gregory as manager as a joke .....but now I think he might actually be the man (or someone like him) to do the job

Russel Slade was too nice ...........................unfortunately

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
With what is available to young men in the profession - they really shouldn't need any arse-kicking at all!
Take them to homes for unfortunate kids, amputees or badly injured , and that ought to be enough to correct the most stubborn perspective.

If only that were true though. Reality is that with the vast majority of people experiences like that make them feel bad for a while and then they forget, or put it out of their minds, and carry on as before.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I saw Poyet up close at an airport a couple of years ago and i don't think even some of our more intellectualy challenged squad would try to take the piss out of him. Gaining respect is a lot easier when you look an evil Columbian drug smuggler.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Spot on.
Cloughie took the piss,whilst he was here.At least Taylor had the decency to hang around for a bit longer!
Remember the time well....I was on my honeymoon !!!and could hardly believe the headlines in the papers.Huge publicity for the club....then came the 'glory years'!
Indeed. All those people saying we need a 'name' - well we had the biggest name in English football managing us .... and he was a dismal failure. Taylor is not included in that because as you say he stuck around and laid the foundations for Mullery's team (although it shouldn't be forgotten that Mullery himself got rid of dead wqod and bought in good players)

Glasfryn: It was a first team game. Fulham were 2-0 up and Mullery was upset because Jimmy Dunne let Ken Beamish through to score saying it "wasn't his man". A few minutes later he did it again but the Fulham keeper saved it. Dunne was still maintaining it 'wasn't his man' so Mullery hit him. He also hit him again for some reason and then a third time in the tunnel as they were going off for half-time. Fulham won 5-1 in the end.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I remember in my mid 20's having an interview for a promotion to team leader at L&G.

The gaffer, Dave Wingfield asked me " what is the most important thing to have from your team ? ".

I, in my niavety said

" to be liked ".

No he replied

" to be respected "

I lost the job there and then and DW taught me an important lesson.

Slade was liked but not respected and I think that was obvious.

"And what part are you, David?"

"Good question.... the humour probably."

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
funny last week I put on here about John Gregory as manager as a joke .....but now I think he might actually be the man (or someone like him) to do the job

If Gregory gets the job there isn't going to be a hole deep enough for you to hide in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here