Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bissouma (Gone to Spurs 17/06/2022)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't think most of the 'Top 4' teams really care about value for money. I rate Biss highly but there are probably a few question marks about some things. Rice is probably at a slightly higher level and does have some goals in him, Phillips as an English CM will also be in demand if he can be taken from Leeds. I really don't think it is nailed on Biss goes to a top 4 team - otherwise we'd be seeing more concrete interest in my opinion.

Nope... and abroad is also definitely a possibility for Biss. More so for him than for Rice or Phillips I would imagine.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But he has to go to a CL club for £100m+ irrespective of the length of his contract, for the very simple reason that he plays for the club I support.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You think Man Utd will pay £300M for Bissouma?

No, because I was being facetious. It was more a statement that Man Utd, if they want him, will easily outbid anyone else bar the sportswashers. Even the mighty Aston Villa.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Still not sure why so much 'sneering' at Villa. Gerrard is clearly a talented young manager - and over the last 10 games has won 3 more games than us - and accumulated an extra 3 points. Might not be a 'massive' step up, but they are going in the right direction.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Still not sure why so much 'sneering' at Villa. Gerrard is clearly a talented young manager - and over the last 10 games has won 3 more games than us - and accumulated an extra 3 points. Might not be a 'massive' step up, but they are going in the right direction.

Personally I’ve no gripe with Gerrard…..found their fans a bit arrogant (not the only club)..someone else might have found them absolutely fine :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Agreed.

Like it or not, Villa will be filed by most under the label "big club" and certainly considered a bigger name than li'l ole Brighton.

Given where he plays, Gerrard is likely a player that Bissouma looked up to and admired as he was growing up and learning the game. Additionally, as you say, Gerrard's stock as a manager is clearly on the rise (which isn't to say Potter's is not also), and he'd be playing in the same side as Philip Coutinho. Who wouldn't want to do that?

I can certainly see why Villa may appea to Bissouma, although that's not to say a better option won't come along.

Chopera

Apr 23, 2021
It'll be disappointing to get less than £40 million, because he's worth more than that. But the truth is we have very little power in this situation. If he does want to join a Champions League side, even if Villa come in and offer £40 million, he could turn them down if he knows Liverpool or Chelsea want him. We won't have any say in that. Those big clubs can then lowball us safe in the knowldege that in 6 months time he'll sign a pre contract with them and join for nothing next summer. I can only imagine the fee being over £30 million if several Champions League clubs are fighting over him.

Chelsea already have Kante, Man City seem not too bothered about defensive midfielders and Pep is meant to be off soonish anyway, which only leaves Liverpool as a regular CL qualifier. The best route to them might be via Gerrard at Villa anyway. If Spurs or Arsenal qualify for the CL then it could be one of them. I think Levy tends to strangle players' careers by holding on to them too long, so I could understand why he might choose Arsenal. But that's assuming they are interested enough to pay more than Villa.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Agreed.

Like it or not, Villa will be filed by most under the label "big club" and certainly considered a bigger name than li'l ole Brighton.

Given where he plays, Gerrard is likely a player that Bissouma looked up to and admired as he was growing up and learning the game. Additionally, as you say, Gerrard's stock as a manager is clearly on the rise (which isn't to say Potter's is not also), and he'd be playing in the same side as Philip Coutinho. Who wouldn't want to do that?

I can certainly see why Villa may appea to Bissouma, although that's not to say a better option won't come along.

I don't think anyone would label Villa a 'big club' outside of their fans. Bigger than Brighton? Sure. A big club? Nah.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don't think most of the 'Top 4' teams really care about value for money. I rate Biss highly but there are probably a few question marks about some things. Rice is probably at a slightly higher level and does have some goals in him, Phillips as an English CM will also be in demand if he can be taken from Leeds. I really don't think it is nailed on Biss goes to a top 4 team - otherwise we'd be seeing more concrete interest in my opinion.

Liverpool definitely shop for value, as do Arsenal and Tottenham, the latter 2 could very well finish top 4. Man Utd are the most likely candidate to spaff an eye watering amount on Rice.
Have we seen any concrete bids go in for Rice or Phillips yet?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Agreed.

By who? Older football fans obviously, but other than that they’re just another club to anyone outside of Birmingham. Younger fans have no memory of Villa’s 80s success or consistently being top 6 under Martin O’Neil. Obviously players can easily be swayed by money, but realistically they’ll only consider Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and probably Arsenal as big clubs.
Just IMO like.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Having bossed the midfield in the premier League for nearly 2 seasons now I am surprised no one just offered the 50m.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Thought he was poor tonight. Changed the game when he came on vs Watford.

Be good to get the legal thingy sorted and a new contract in the bag. Not saying its an excuse, but could possibly be a distraction.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Be good to get the legal thingy sorted and a new contract in the bag. Not saying its an excuse, but could possibly be a distraction.

Agreed. One of the worst games I've seen from him in a while. Cost us the goal, casual in possession, some slack passes to red shirts. It wasn't ALL bad, he got his foot in and did some nice turns, but by his standards tonight was one to forget.

Wishful thinking to believe he'll sign a new contract IMO. He'll either go in the summer at a cut price, or run it down so he's a free agent in 2023, and him and his agent will be in the £££££££

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Don't think there is any 'legal thingy' now, is there? For his mate (if it was a mate) who is still on police bail (I believe) there might be. But to all intents and purposes I think the current state with Biss as far the police are concerned is.'Yes, we did very publicly march him out of the night club in handcuffs, but we don't want to come right out and say "that's it".'

Just my opinion/guess. Not going to argue/get involved if anyone thinks different - they're welcome!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Don't think there is any 'legal thingy' now, is there? For his mate (if it was a mate) who is still on police bail (I believe) there might be. But to all intents and purposes I think the current state with Biss as far the police are concerned is.'Yes, we did very publicly march him out of the night club in handcuffs, but we don't want to come right out and say "that's it".'

Just my opinion/guess. Not going to argue/get involved if anyone thinks different - they're welcome!

Legally he is still 'under investigation' - which means its not ended one way or the other so must be an area of concern for him. Not saying its an excuse, just something which might be stopping him getting his head straight (Knocky and his Dads death spring to mind).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here