Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birmingham pubs

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I went in The Sportsman and I have to say it was most probably the worst pub I have ever been in. Not threatening or anything like that but it only sold Worthington as a bitter and it had the tattiest upholstery I had ever seen held together with a million staples. A material sheet pinned to the high level section of the bar to cover it which was stained and then there were the toilets ?

Not a nice place that part of town either is it ?
Why spend money on a pub that the local 'beardies' are likely to burn down,as they did other locals like the Tilt Hammer and Country Maid.When I worked locally the Albion Vaults was a far better pub & only a minute from there.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I thought the Anchor was ok, they did not seem willing to give you any information on what the ales were like. When you have twenty on at once and someone asks you for an IPA or something palish in colour, a real ale pub should be able to sort you out without getting the hump and just saying the list is over there. I am aware that they were very busy but I was happy to drink anything really so there was no need to be so rude about it. Post match we went to the Wellington which I much prefer, wished we had gone to the Victoria pre-match as they are always lovely in there.

We had exactly the same problem - chose some beers from the leaflet to be told they weren't on but to choose them off the board, so we chose from the board to be told that unless it had a price next to it then it wasn't on either, when I gave up and asked for any pale ale she said I had to tell her which one I wanted even though I couldn't see most of the pumps, very frustrating! Not a bad pub apart from that though.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I know, it was on the table though rather than at the bar, and all the ales were not on all the time. On one round we asked for a certain stout, they did not have it, so my mate just asked for something similar they reacted like he was being difficult. Very strange in my opinion, I would expect the staff to some knowledge of what they are selling, most pubs of this type do.

I had a similar experience. I asked for a pale around 4% and they couldn't give me an answer. The stillage room was a good experience however and all the beer was beautifully kept.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
The wife and myself started off in the Square Peg in the city centre.We got chatting to a couple of city fans who took us to the "Old Joint Stock", it was right opposite the cathedral and was a really nice bar.We then got a cab and they took us to the "St George"which is 100 yards from the ground.When we walked in the wife had that look which said "wtf are we doing here",but to be fair everyone was very friendly and nothing like what i was expecting.All in all we had a top day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bacchus for me and the 'thumper firm. It was nice in there.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The worst pub in history is surely The Pub (that's actually its name) in Gillingham. Not sure of the street but it's not far from the Pissfield.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The worst pub in history is surely The Pub (that's actually its name) in Gillingham. Not sure of the street but it's not far from the Pissfield.

I recall going into a really grim small residential back street pub near the Priestfield before an evening game and a middle -aged couple who looked like seasoned drinkers came in. He had a stitched up cut on his forehead, she had a black eye. Nice.

cdargonne

brighton seagirl
Mar 1, 2009
sussex
We went 2 the brighton arms... great pub and full of brighton... unsurprisingly... cheap beer and friendly bar staff. Good 1.

Dandyman

In London village.
The anchor was pretty good , quite tight but good atmos....

Agree - great range of beers, decent atmosphere and no f*ckwitted racists.

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Went to the sportsman too, inside was so cramped and tight which made an uncomfortable experience there. Also they didn't have the Chelsea - Arsenal game on, instead they were showing a repeat of 'You've been framed'. Although the locals were friendly and had some good banter with some drunk and some of the barmaids.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
We were in the Victoria, post match. A really good vibe in there. I've been in the Wellington before, good for the ale, but a bit of an old mans pub because of it. I'm guessing the anchor is much the same. Much prefer the Victoria and will return there next time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here