Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biographies. Why bother?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I'm really struggling to finish Norman Hunter's autobiography even once to be honest. Keep thinking it's going to get better or throw up some nugget of new and half-interesting information. But not so far - and Revie's just left Leeds for the England job! Next chapter is where Clough joins Leeds as manager and our Norm's cock-up helps Poland knock England out of the World Cup. If that chapter fails to reach levels of moderate interestingness I certainly won't be persevering to hear the enthralling tales of his time at Bristol City.

I would quit and save yourself wasting the hours reading the rest of it.

Like other posters, the idea of reading any biography of, or autobiography by, some so-called modern 'celebrity' who has done precisely nothing in their lives other than smile at a camera is my idea of hell.

Gwylan, however, has listed some particularly good ones (Newman's Apologia being a case in point).

Subjects I have read more than one biography about (and in each case at least one of them at least twice) include Gladstone (John Morley's Life of Gladstone is by some distance the greatest political biography ever written), Bacon, Cromwell, Hooker, Milton, Schiller, Fichte, Tyndale, John Clare. There are undoubtedly more, but I can't think of them right now.

Shameless plug: Boydell & Brewer will be publishing a fine biography of SR Gardiner next year. Er, by me.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
It's not just me then? :yawn:

Life is too short to spend it numbing your brain reading something dull, if you don't like the book already there is nothing yet to read that is going to make you like it!

As for good autobiographies - Maya Angelou's are all good and I have reread those several times. And of course Malcolm X this book should be required reading for every child, every where.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I don't choose to read biographies because I have some sort of Literacy Problem that has resulted in me not knowing what to read! Instead, I read books about, or by, people I find genuinely interesting. And I can re-read some autobiographical works endlessly - George Orwell being an example.

But there are biographies and biographies and the ghost written lives of Z list celebrities don't count in my book! Unfortunately, Lives of Great Sportsmen are usually relentlessly dire and, so far as sales are concerned, quite cynically rely upon the uber-fan whose devotion can often takes the edge off their critical judgement!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And of course Malcolm X this book should be required reading for every child, every where.

Good CALL :clap:

Also, tho not strictly an autobiography, The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S Thompson, is as near as dammit his own story in his own wise drug-fuelled words, seeing as how he's centre stage for most of the pieces. And all in one handy housebrick-sized volume. Lugged that bugger around for the second half of the Seventies, reading it and re-reading it over and over.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You lot are far too intellectual for me. I read them because I'm nosy and want to know about people (or as much as they reveal in their biographies)

"My father and other working class football heroes" by Gary Imlach about his dad John is a cracking book. If you want to know what life as a player was like in the days of the maximum wage this is the one for you.

As one of the reviews on the cover states, it should be compulsory reading for all Premiership players!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
And of course Malcolm X this book should be required reading for every child, every where.
i very nearly bought that this afternoon as it happens and might do so at the weekend after i've worked my way through another couple of books i've got on the go...

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
i very nearly bought that this afternoon as it happens and might do so at the weekend after i've worked my way through another couple of books i've got on the go...

You won't regret it. It's one of my favourite books of all time, it really affects me every time I read it.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
im not into celebrity biographies, have read the one by one of Londons gangsters was an excellent read (cant remember his name - think he was mentioned on here a while ago doing London tours or sommink!)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
im not into celebrity biographies, have read the one by one of Londons gangsters was an excellent read (cant remember his name - think he was mentioned on here a while ago doing London tours or sommink!)

Mad Frankie Fraser is now something of a celebrity but in truth he was a borderline mental case when he was younger. He's one of the last men to receive the 'Cat of nine tails' as a prison punishment. He was a key member of the infamous Richardson torture gang, not a nice man at all.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Jeffrey Archer: Stranger Than Fiction by Michael Crick, has got to be one of the best political biographies I've ever read.

A must read.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I'll second that! Quite hilarious and also very well researched. It was telling to discover that Archer inherited a family tradition of being very economical with the truth too.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'll second that! Quite hilarious and also very well researched. It was telling to discover that Archer inherited a family tradition of being very economical with the truth too.

Yep, funniest thing I had read in years. Couldn't put it down.

Did you come out of it thinking a little bit of "respect" for him in the sense that he was quite obviously bent as a nine bob note but still managed to crawl his way to the top, in a Del Boy kind of way.

I assumed in the case of Archer that power corrupts before I read the book.

Far from it, Mr 30% was born that way - would sell his own grandmother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here