Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BING - a new rival to Google ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bing has been launched today by microsoft as a direct rival to Google as a search engine. First impressions are pretty good. Comes up with handy related search options in a bar down the left, the image search is better as its not divided into pages, just one big scroll. Not had a proper scrunge on it yet, but it looks like there might finally a viable alternative to Google now. Nice and quick too.

Bing

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I like it....will keep a close eye on that?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That related search thing on the left is excellent. Instead of just having a huge list like Google gives you, it puts up related stuff as well.
For example, I was looking for nude pictures of Julie Andrews, and down the left, it gave me Dick van Dyke as well. I've just seen his cock.

Massive.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Its not one big scroll... Ill stick to google though

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The video search is excellent too - hover your mouse pointer over the image of a video returned and it will play within the Bing results window - no need to click through to Youtube et al.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ooooh
You can also 'hover' the mouse over the search results (just a little to the right) and read the opening text to the search WITHOUT accessing the website.

I like.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The video search is excellent too - hover your mouse pointer over the image of a video returned and it will play within the Bing results window - no need to click through to Youtube et al.

Good call. Thats quality, innit.
Course, Google is just going to copy all this within the next few days, but even so.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Today was the launch.
Apparently by WEDNESDAY its going to be fully up and running. According to The Times yesterday, anyway.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It will have to brilliant to even scratch the surface of google's popularity.

Remember how bad search engines were before google came along ?

They've got to their position for being light years ahead of anything else avaliable.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Im liking this Lotttttttttsssssssss!!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It will have to brilliant to even scratch the surface of google's popularity.

Remember how bad search engines were before google came along ?

They've got to their position for being light years ahead of anything else avaliable.

True. Google is a habit now for billions, and microsoft are apparently under no illusions - they're going to have to step up their game to get people to start using it. But I can see myself Binging things already. Its pretty bloody good so far.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
google Im finished...its all about BING for me now

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Change the country in the top right to the United States to see the full feature set.

I like some of the little features on the home page photo you get there (move your mouse about a bit to see what I mean).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Google currently have around 85% of UK searches - MSN (or Bing) have around 4%, as do Yahoo and Ask. There is a lot of room for growth.

At first glance it's not radically different to Google - the roll over to see snippets is neat. Is it enough to drag people from Google though? MSN have tried twice in three years to launch a decent rival, this is just the latest and won't shift Google.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The ONLY way to test Bing v Google is to type in your favourite four letter word that rhymes with HUNT into both search engines..........BING has an unusual link using that word to moneysavingexpert.com, clearly someone doesn't like Martin Lewis

I'm slightly disturbed by the search I've done for images of myself.

One decent portrait, one photo of me shaking hands with a Tory councillor, one photo of me with a bunch of Lib Dem councillors, and this ...

_42095650_farage203.jpg

Can I sue?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here