Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bin Laden: Shoot to Kill

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But why - do you just want to see them ? For anyone who doubts they actually killed him, do you think a photo would convince them ? I doubt it.
Exactly.
2 reasons:
1. It would help me believe it, although I think he was killed, this would put no doubt in my head.
Seriously, a photo would not help. While I know that man has landed on the moon, I am less sure about the photographic evidence (which may be fake).
2. I want to see him dead. He killed thousands, I want to see him with a bullet in his head.
Say a British soldier was killed by the Taliban and they published photos of the bloody corpse on the Internet- would people not find that slightly insulting or offensive? At the very least, disrespectful.

If the Americans did the same with Bin Laden's body, no doubt there would be plenty of Muslims up in arms about it for the same reason. Why give him another chance to rally people to the cause, even after he's dead?
This.
Also what a hero Cairo the dog is
I saw Cairo in the helicopter, but can't remember what he did?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It was weird that they had no DNA for Bin Laden, so were trying to match the body DNA on a "close relative" and having to find a soldier that was 6ft4 and lie him down next to the corpse

Also what a hero Cairo the dog is

Don't see why it's weird they had no previous DNA. What were they going to do ? Once he started coming to prominence when USS Cole was blown up, "'scuse me, Osama, could we please swab your mouth for future use, you never know". I see no other way they could have gotten it, other than relatives DNA, really, can you ?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Im fairly certain they did release one picture of his head head, I just think a lot of the news agencies didnt feel it approriate to release. You can find this on Google images.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Don't see why it's weird they had no previous DNA. What were they going to do ? Once he started coming to prominence when USS Cole was blown up, "'scuse me, Osama, could we please swab your mouth for future use, you never know". I see no other way they could have gotten it, other than relatives DNA, really, can you ?

I dont know how, but there must be all sorts of ways. Swab being an easy way, but there must have been traces from somewhere they knew he had been?

I just thinks it's weird how they got Bin Laden's DNA, put it through 8 hours of testing and waiting, and then say they have "got a match." Even when it cannot be 100% certain as they have never had his DNA

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bush's regime would probably have released photos to the media, in a kind of USA! USA! USA! frenzy.

Obama, fortunately, seems to have a better grasp of people's sensitivities (whatever their religion) and has decided that releasing pictures of a blood spattered, dead OBL would be more likely to generate resentment amongst the Islamic community. It's not a points scoring exercise, and fair play to him for recognising that.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I dont know how, but there must be all sorts of ways. Swab being an easy way, but there must have been traces from somewhere they knew he had been?

I just thinks it's weird how they got Bin Laden's DNA, put it through 8 hours of testing and waiting, and then say they have "got a match." Even when it cannot be 100% certain as they have never had his DNA

What do you swab though? Yes, he's been in caves, but rock isn't that good at retaining biological samples. And loads of other people would have been there too, so you'd have no idea which sample was which.

They can be pretty damn sure, based on a relative's DNA, thats its him It might be 99.9% or something, compared to 99.999999% if compared with a sample that was definitively his. But I like those odds. I'll take it.

What would the Americans stand to lose if they told the world he was dead and subsequently it turned out they'd got it wrong? I'm confident they're as sure as they can possibly be.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Bush's regime would probably have released photos to the media, in a kind of USA! USA! USA! frenzy.

Obama, fortunately, seems to have a better grasp of people's sensitivities (whatever their religion) and has decided that releasing pictures of a blood spattered, dead OBL would be more likely to generate resentment amongst the Islamic community. It's not a points scoring exercise, and fair play to him for recognising that.
Exactly. My daughter seemed puzzled that they buried bin Laden at sea and were at pains to do things properly. But it seemed to me that Obama was being as sensitive as possible to how muslims might react to at least stop any capital being gained from treating bin Laden as a martyr or perceived 'insults to Islam'. I was alo impressed with Obama's whole demeanour whenever he was interviewed in the program. He spoke in a matter of fact way. To use you reference to Bush, George W would probably have been far more gung ho about it and consequently quite a few more people would have died during the operation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To use you reference to Bush, George W would probably have been far more gung ho about it and consequently quite a few more people would have died during the operation.
And since

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

They can get it highly probable from close relatives DNA (that's kinda how DNA works), and there's enough of them, loads of brothers and half brothers to get you a virtual 100% match. Sorry, I'm really not wanting to be argumentative here, but it's very difficult to get "traces" from somewhere someone has been unless you see them touch something enough to leave viable DNA. If you're not there to witness it, how do you know it's his. It's rather different from a crime scene finding traces then matching it to criminals, where you have something to match against.

Pah, the ever reliable Edna beat me to it.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest

Wasn't it his dead sisters DNA? Going t be a very close match.

Also those wanting a photo, there wasn't much of his head left, you probably couldn't identify him from it.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
The burial at sea was the best option available to the US. It means that there would also be no site of pilgrimage for radicals or the like to visit the grave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here