Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Paynter

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We created two shots in the first half, one was akin to a Harley penalty, the other was put into row Z by Calderon. I thought we looked much more dangerous when Billy came on, he added a bit of aggression and a focal point for the attack. I think CMS will appreciate having a player like him in the team. Paynter will add that little bit of (controlled) aggression that the team is crying out for.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And Paynter created a good chance for CMS

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm not sure if Paynter is match fit, if/when he is he's got to start.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He looked lively when he came on and brightened up our attack. We had more chances once he got hold of the ball. I think he'll be useful.

Albion4

Jul 12, 2011
I imagine that CMS will benefit the most from Paynter, his abilty to hold off defenders and hold the ball up will create chances for CMS, who i think struggles to play upfront by himself.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the commentary certainly livened up when he came on he looks/sounds like he gets stuck in hope it goes well for him and if Gus has seen something in him thats good enough for me ............now looking forward to Tuesday

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
If you're a defending team imagine having trying to cope with Paynter and CMS- I'd hate it as one will bully you and the other would chase you round the pitch like a nutcase!

Will be a Great combo and BP will be a perfect player for Barnes to learn from!

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
Last season with Murray & Barnes as the front two we played Woods as a third attacker.....So this season with BP as the target man & CMS & Barnes as support.Lets face it with Barnes in a withdrawn position Cms is struggling to do it alone.It makes the oppositions defence look good only having him to mark.Against Leeds with Barnes in a more attacking role he laid on both of CMS's goals.Add BP make it 3 up front and the oppositions defence will have a lot more to contend with.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Last season with Murray & Barnes as the front two we played Woods as a third attacker.....So this season with BP as the target man & CMS & Barnes as support.
Going on Gus' post-match comments, he might be tempted. Probably more likely to happen at home I'd have thought - against a Barnsley or a Coventry. Does also make it more difficult to squeeze our attacking midfield players into the team though (ie. where do Buckley, Noone, Vicente etc.. fit in when we play with 3 strikers?)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Going on Gus' post-match comments, he might be tempted. Probably more likely to happen at home I'd have thought - against a Barnsley or a Coventry. Does also make it more difficult to squeeze our attacking midfield players into the team though (ie. where do Buckley, Noone, Vicente etc.. fit in when we play with 3 strikers?)
The physios room mainly.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

Interesting point. Remembering back to the 1990 World Cup, Bobby Robson played Lineker and Beardsley against the Republic of Ireland, who were a hoof it team under Jack Charlton, when it was crying out for Steve Bull to get up and batter their defence. He then brought Bully on against the much more cultured Dutch. I'm not criticising Robson, as that was England's finest performance since 1966 and we've been desperate for anything nearly as good since, but that was easily England's worst performance. Our tippy tappy stuff seems to work best against sides who also play like that, though with Paynter that means we can combine good football with aerial stuff when we need to. Good move by Gus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here