Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Billy Gilmour SINGED on a four-year contract

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Looks perhaps closest to Lallana in terms of what we currently have, which would make absolute sense.

Yes, I agree. Someone else said Gilmour was cover/replacement for Caicedo, which I didn't agree with at all. They are very different players, who bring different attributes to midfield.

I assume the club have a profile or skillset they look for in players in different positions or roles. Around the time we signed Estupinan, someone posted a Venn diagram which put Estupinan's skills as the closest to Cucurella's in a long list of LBs and LWBs.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Remember what Norwich fans said about Hughton when we appointed him? I think we know what their opinion is worth.

Gilmour's record before Norwich.

MotM on his full debut for Chelsea in the FA Cup vs. Liverpool.

MotM on his Premier League debut vs. Everton.

MotM on his Champions League debut vs. Krasnodar.

MotM on his first start for Scotland vs. England.

Maybe the problem was Norwich and not the player?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How much in wages would that striker demand?
How much would his agent demand from the club?
Would they want to join us?

Isak is paid by the Saudis, reportedly £120k to £200k a week. The sportswashers owners are worth £320b.

Jesus at Arsenal £270k a week.

But if you ignore the economics…

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
Gilmour's record before Norwich.

MotM on his full debut for Chelsea in the FA Cup vs. Liverpool.

MotM on his Premier League debut vs. Everton.

MotM on his Champions League debut vs. Krasnodar.

MotM on his first start for Scotland vs. England.

Maybe the problem was Norwich and not the player?

I understand he is good on his debuts. So should Potter wait till Sept 17th to give Gilmour his debut?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Ditto, even before this news, I was kind of dismissing his Norwich season.

A car crash of a season with little investment in all the wrong areas, BG played with woefully inferior players compared to Chelsea. I remember his arrival at Norwich, he was hailed as the playmaker that was going to turn them around, heaping silly pressure on him.

Potter’s literally a master at improving players/people, Gilmour’s in great hands if he has the hunger, I bet he wants to succeed as a top flight footballer.
Absolutely has us written all over it in as much as his stock will have fallen since he first broke through at Chelsea and for Scotland - in part due to his Norwich loan - but we've seen there's still a top player there to be nurtured and given a platform on which to realise his potential, for a fee that could prove to be another absolute bargain. And he'll have some competition in that regard.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He's got lovely quick feet a bit like Lallana which I'm always a sucker for!

I do love players that move the ball quickly in tight spaces, Iniesta was one of my all time favourite players because he was the very best at it and it's one of the reasons Lallana is a favourite of mine, it is a special, under rated talent that very few players have. Hopefully Gilmour can get somewhere close to Lallana's level as he develops.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Cucurella started a bit shaky first couple of games if I recall. Remember he said interview he found those first games really difficult.

Oh absolutely. I remember after the first month wondering why we'd replaced March with him, with a guy who didn't offer as much in attack but wasn't obviously better in defence. Then he found his feet and proved me very wrong

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I like the cut of this boy's Jib, I also have no idea what that means, not being of a nautical persuasion, but it sounds good to me, welcome aboard young Billy.

:bigwave:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Seems to assume he is going to be playing week in week out.
Does not talk about training hard to force himself into the the first team.

Listen again to the context. He said that he'd like to play mostly every game in response to the question:

"Billy, if we're sitting here a year from now, how would you hope that your first year has gone? What would you like to have acheived in that time?"

He also said that he'd like to make a name for himself in the team, settle and enjoy his football again. Nothing Billy Big-Bollo about that, he is just saying what success for him would look like.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We recall that our amazing end to the season coincided with Caicedos introduction to the first team, but we may forget that it was the Bissouma-Caicedo partnership that delivered the goods, not just down to one man. There's a lot of Bissouma in that highlights reel, so I wonder if a Gilmour-Caicedo partnership is one we'll see a lot of.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The Scottish Xavi? Both 5 foot 7.
Great movement and passing.
Big difference with his introduction to Brighton compared to Norwich is that there’s a lot less pressure on him here. At Norwich he was asked to perform miracles. At Brighton, he’ll complement the existing midfielders. Brings further technical ability, and will be needed to ease the workload of Moises and Alexis.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The Scottish Xavi? Both 5 foot 7.
Great movement and passing.
Big difference with his introduction to Brighton compared to Norwich is that there’s a lot less pressure on him here. At Norwich he was asked to perform miracles. At Brighton, he’ll complement the existing midfielders. Brings further technical ability, and will be needed to ease the workload of Moises and Alexis.

With Liverpool allegedly sniffiing around Caicdeo and the WC coming up in months, does this feel a bit like succession planning? we had Mwepu and Caicedo knowing pretty well Biss would be off.

Barber OUT seemed to suggest the player wouldnt leave in this window (as who could insta replace him with Biss gone). Hopefully more as cover for the ever crocked Lallana, and Gilmour is more of physical stature of Ali Mac, but does this have a whiff of potential Caicedo 50m exit plan in January/next summer?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Our midfielders have a profile of needing to be VERY comfortable on the ball and VERY good at retaining possession in tight positions. He fits that profile. I see him as Lallana’s successor rather than Moises’s…..hopefully!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here