Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Connolly Is A Twat! - Discuss

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
f***ing hell. He's a comedian. Comedians try to find humour in the darkest of situations. Sometimes it doesn't work. I don't particularly like Billy Connelly, but I'll defend him for saying what he did.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
D'Angelo Saxon said:
f***ing hell. He's a comedian. Comedians try to find humour in the darkest of situations. Sometimes it doesn't work. I don't particularly like Billy Connelly, but I'll defend him for saying what he did.

:clap:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Naah, sorry. Can't see the humour in making jokes about Bigley while the guy was still captive and begging for his life. Whats next on the Connolly stand-up joke list for current affairs...a hilarious routine about whether or not little baby Charlotte should continue to receive treatment or not ?

Common sense tells most people where to draw the line - when a joke goes beyond just being tasteless and becomes hurtful and sickening, and I think Connolly crossed that line this week.

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
f*** off. I didn't catch anyone pulling up Ricky Gervais for his joking about Steven Hawking, did I? It's just one rule for some and another rule for another on this forum. Maybe, I should have just admitted I found BC's joke funny in the first place.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
D'Angelo Saxon said:
f*** off. I didn't catch anyone pulling up Ricky Gervais for his joking about Steven Hawking, did I? It's just one rule for some and another rule for another on this forum. Maybe, I should have just admitted I found BC's joke funny in the first place.
I missed that one. What did he say?

But I'll guess that Stephen Hawking isn't in a cell somewhere in the full knowledge that he's likely to have his head cut off for being British.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Simster said:
I missed that one. What did he say?

But I'll guess that Stephen Hawking isn't in a cell somewhere in the full knowledge that he's likely to have his head cut off for being British.

yes but the principle is still the same making jokes about people less fortunate than ourself.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
caz99 said:
yes but the principle is still the same making jokes about people less fortunate than ourself.
But that isn't the principle here. The principle is that the poor blokes life is in the balance, the whole country is thanking it's lucky stars that it isn't our relative who is being held in those conditions and in a state of utter helplessness.

It's a very senstive context, and Connolly drove a bus through it for a cheap laugh.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Steven Hawking was not about to have his head sawed off.

Look, there are always tasteless jokes doing the rounds about an infinate number of things, from the handicapped, to Princess Di's death. We all see them on email etc. I just think that for a high profile, mainstream comedian to go on stage and make a joke about a man in Bigleys situation, with his elderly mother in and out of hospital through the stress of it all and his family suffering RIGHT NOW because of it...thats just not right.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If it's the joke I think, Ricky Gervaise said that Stephan Hawking was "pretentious", having been brought up in Kent and yet now speaking with an American accent.

Jul 20, 2003
caz99 said:

Hawking is MORE fortunate than Connelly, he's not a complete and utter idiot

Billy Connelly is shit, 'the big yin' - useless - I had the displeasure of seeing him compere an ICA fundraiser a few years ago and he was SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT

The Bigley comment is just another example of him being an unfunny, loud, gobshite.

Good ridance to him

I'd rather watch Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson - and I can't stand either of them.

What the F*** has Billy Connelly ever done that was funny anyway? He was OK in 'Mrs Brown' but as for the rest of his career:

if I saw it in my toilet bowl I wouldn't bother flushing

HE IS NOTHING

Jul 20, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
If it's the joke I think, Ricky Gervaise said that Stephan Hawking was "pretentious", having been brought up in Kent and yet now speaking with an American accent.

I'm not a fan of Ricky Gervaise, but I propose that that is funny

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
That is quality.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
For heavens sake man, comedians have a right to try and make humour from the darkest of situations !, no they fecking well don't.

A bloke kidnapped , locked in a cell, forced to watch his two friends having the heads sawn off, locked in a tiny cage, humiliated, forced to literaaly beg for his life , his mum in and out of hospital.

Oh absolutely fecking hilarious wouldn't you say.

I for one hope Connolly never works again, also if he were to go to Liverpool he would be beheaded.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I think Billy Conolly is shit

However, I think anyone who is expressing disgust on this thread who has laughed at a sick joke before is a total f***ing hypocrite.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whilst the blokes life was in the balance it was not on. Anyone who tries to justify Connelly having a right to say it needs to sort their fecking lives out imho.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've laughed at sick jokes before, so I suppose I'm a hypocrite. Different people find different things sick and offensive.

I'm not "disgusted" with Connolly, I just think this particular joke was out of order. I'm not going to start leading marches to have him strung up or anything.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Gareth Glover said:
Whilst the blokes life was in the balance it was not on. Anyone who tries to justify Connelly having a right to say it needs to sort their fecking lives out imho.

so when people are barely cold on the slab they are fair game?

who's trying to justify anything on this thread?

sick is sick

unless of course you have some reason to believe that some people are sicker than others.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Everyone makes mistakes, and Connolly is only human.

The bottom line is he told a sick joke that wasn't funny on a number of levels, and was actually offensive to most. I'd like to think it was an "off the cuff" remark and not preplanned.

He has, however, brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people, so we should cut him some slack and not be so sanctimonious like a number of people on here.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Agreed. Personally I thought it was a shite joke anyway, whatever the context. But I have laughed at some sick jokes in my time. I'm not going to get worked up just cos some British guy is the butt of a sick joke.

Jul 20, 2003
alan partridge said:
........ anyone who is expressing disgust on this thread who has laughed at a sick joke before is a total f***ing hypocrite.

with all due respect, that is an amazingly stupid comment

even for NSC

have a good weekend

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here