Votes: 111 41.7%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah, not having it.

The McGleish stuff was pantomime. Barton is a genuinely nasty, violent, misogynous, dangerous shitbag.

Not at all comparable.
Indeed.

But that's a bit more than 'wanker' isn't it?

There are far more appropriate epithets. Sociopathic criminal, for example.

I mean, if you asked me the first word that springs to mind when the name McGleish is mention, it is 'wanker'. All day.

If you ask me the first word that springs to mind when the name Barton is mentioned, it isn't 'wanker' any more than it would be for Ralph Moat, or Boris Johnson.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this :facepalm: :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Indeed. But you can't have a biggest wanker poll without a token Nigel on it, obviously.
I'd have put Henry Hughton above Zaha - I don't really dislike Mr Tumble, he's actually a decent player.

I think McGleish is more of a pantomime villain too, all knockabout stuff. Barton is a really nasty piece of work, clear winner here

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd have put Henry Hughton above Zaha - I don't really dislike Mr Tumble, he's actually a decent player.

I think McGleish is more of a pantomime villain too, all knockabout stuff. Barton is a really nasty piece of work, clear winner here
I was at that Hughton game and it was a shocking assault, but in fairness Hughton was subsequently mortified as to what he'd done. None of the high profile Nigels really deserve to be on a wanker list that features Joey Barton. It's just a pity that Barton didn't play for Palace as they are a match made in heaven.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Henry Hughton's assault on poor Gerry Ryan was actually WORSE than the Williams' one. Nasty.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If we're going on the worst tackle I've seen it would be Fabhinio on Ferguson simply because 100% he knew exactly the damage it would cause, totally premeditated imo.
The Kung Fu kick on Mitoma was up there by Holgate as well.

Not knowing the others listed,but as human beings you'd have to go with Barton purely on track record.
Horrible little **** .

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Interesting fact about JB, he cannot spell Twitter, so just puts an X!
I heard it recently, I think on The Rest Is Entertainment podcast* that one might combine the old and new names to call it Xitter.

The X takes its "sh" pronunciation...

* strong recommendation, by the way - very entertaining**

** (pun partly intended)

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Imo the refs for the Burnley game with the Beram stamp by Barton and the muppet who assaulted Matt on Tuesday and did stuff all about it should be on the list , cos they are definitely a pair of wankers .

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Nah, not having it.

The McGleish stuff was pantomime. Barton is a genuinely nasty, violent, misogynous, dangerous shitbag.

Not at all comparable.
I agree. Think 2 of the candidates are/were just top grade wind up merchants, but the other 2 actually go out to hurt people. Genuinely think it's unfair to put Zaha in the same category, much as I dislike him.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Interesting fact about JB, he cannot spell Twitter, so just puts an X!

The strange thing is that is was the richest man in America, Elon Musk (US$200 Billion), who changed it from Twitter to X. He did it to see if it would be accepted by the people who loved to say "tweet." Now no one says X-ed a message.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
My order of demerit in descending order.

4. Zaha - undeniably talented Palace cult hero cheat who scored big goals against us. However, if he'd have played for us from the start, we'd probably had loved him. Far too easy to wind up and always likely to cry in a minute when Solly had him in his pocket.

3. Williams - thug masquerading as a journeyman footballer. In truth, he probably doesn't belong in this company as he doesn't appear like he can actually play. However he will get what's coming to him on the field. There's always a bigger boy, always another time. Players have friends. What goes around...

2. McGleish - at a time when the entire existence of the club was at stake, he staked his claim. Recent success shouldn't erase this. Never forget.

1. Barton - one-time international footballer whose pseudo-intellectualism which got him on Question Time drew the attention away from a sociopathic nature which club teammates and opposition players alike encountered. As thoroughly dislikeable then as he is now as an online grifter who picks up followers by whipping up culture wars and attacking women in football.

The description doesn't really fit Barton as since leaving the game, he's gone far beyond what happened just in his football career.

But of the 4 names mentioned, he's the worst for me.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Williams has joined Joey Barton and Norman Whiteside, in a list of nasty ****s that I have seen deliberately injure a Brighton player.

Barton 'wins' though, as he has proven in so many other ways to be an utter **** off the field as well.

Yeah Barton comes across as an all round w*nker in every respect of his life.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Barton by a mile on so many levels. Mr Tumble is a pantomime act for us, Williams is just a ***t - Barton has done what he did plus a multitude of other stuff that confirms his Biggest Wanker of All status.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I could never vote for the SEGW in a poll like this simply because I don't think he has ever gone out to physically hurt an Albion player.
Wind us up, cup his ears, stick out his tongue and nut-meg our players yes, but that's because he 'got' the rivally. The kind of guy, if asked, would have turned out for the Robert Eaton charity match I'm sure.
As for the other three, joint top.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I agree. Think 2 of the candidates are/were just top grade wind up merchants, but the other 2 actually go out to hurt people. Genuinely think it's unfair to put Zaha in the same category, much as I dislike him.
You have to be fair, Zaha was and probably still is a great player, I always despised him, not for him, but his ability with a football, he definitely ‘got’ the rivalry, always gave his best for them which is all they could ask but it really pissed me off and I was glad he finally left ‘them’ in fact I miss the wind ups and watching him in the hope he’d eff up which he seldom did….. there I’ve said it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The description doesn't really fit Barton as since leaving the game, he's gone far beyond what happened just in his football career.

But of the 4 names mentioned, he's the worst for me.
If you're looking for people who have gone off the scale since their football career, you could add Le Tissier to the list

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here