Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest underachievers in world football?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
You utter moron. Start spouting at us (when more people live in London than do in our entire country) when you have actually won something.

You know? WON. You are everything that is contemptous about English national football fans. All the money, infrastructure, golden generations, hype, this time more than any other time.....

You're not going to find a way this time or any other time in the near future.

Becuase under pressure, when it counts regardless of your manager's qualities you cannot beat ordinary teams.

It's like charging people £500 a night to stay at a shit little B&B. Sounds impressive but when you get there it's a f***ing great disappointment.

Berk.

Same population as Denmark arent you. That gave you the absolute runaround in 1986 and then won a euro championship. and they eat loads of stodgy food and drink loads too so there isnt even that excuse.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Simster - for the love of GOD half the people in England were not even alive then!!!!!

What next? You going start having WWII D-Day parties for 21 year olds?

It's such an unending stream of drivel. For the best part of the last 50 years you have only looked remotely like even getting to a final once. And on every other occasion when you have been in a finals you limp past very ordinary opposition and then get turned over by the first really decent side you come up against.

Already everyone is getting a bit wobbly. After the Mexico game questions are already starting to be asked about the entire squad's capability of delivering anything more than the usual quarter-final exit at best.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Already everyone is getting a bit wobbly. After the Mexico game questions are already starting to be asked about the entire squad's capability of delivering anything more than the usual quarter-final exit at best.

This is a serious question, I know Scotland seldom qualify but have they ever even got out of the group stages in a WC?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Except it's a minority sport. All the best athletes try about 5 other sports (American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Ice Hockey, Athletics) before they give Association Football a crack.

I thought that too, but then womens soccer is MASSIVE out there, probably the biggest sport, so why dont men do it too? They had amazing role models in Alexi Lalas, Cobu Jones and Roy Wegerle too.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
No we havent. And in my lifetime it will be a huge achievement if we even get to another finals.

WE've shot our load for being so appalling for the last 13 years. The seedings mean we have a very slim chance of getting to the play-off's and as we found out against Holland we simply do not have anything like the quality to beat sides like that over two legs.

France was a wonderful two games but the exception to the probable outlook.

But its not about that - I can honestly say that when England play, despite the banter on here - I am willing them to win. All my younger memebers of the family are English as they were born here. Simple as that. I work here, i pay my taxes here and i am thankful that I have a career that would not be possible at home.

However - the point I am making amidst the banter is that it is absolutely staggering when you consider England footballers demand and feel they deserve the highest salaries in the world when they are obviously and beyond doubt at best, an better than average team who have an undeniable record for failing to deliver in big tournaments.

The game that worries me honestly as someone who wants England to do well is the Australia or Serbia game in what i think would be the second round.

It is also my opinion that deep down England fans are genuinely delighted if they beat a Portugal or a Sweden etc - if England are really the team that so many of their fans tell me they are, then like the Italians, the Spanish and Germans you would be basing your expectations on a real chance to win the tournament and that sides like the ones just mentioned should and will be beaten.

But that is not the case really is it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is a serious question, I know Scotland seldom qualify but have they ever even got out of the group stages in a WC?
No they haven't. It's powerhouses like Iran, Peru and Costa Rica that get in the way of this pesky plan to look like a footballing nation.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You utter moron. Start spouting at us (when more people live in London than do in our entire country) when you have actually won something.

You know? WON. You are everything that is contemptous about English national football fans. All the money, infrastructure, golden generations, hype, this time more than any other time.....

You're not going to find a way this time or any other time in the near future.

Becuase under pressure, when it counts regardless of your manager's qualities you cannot beat ordinary teams.

It's like charging people £500 a night to stay at a shit little B&B. Sounds impressive but when you get there it's a f***ing great disappointmen
Berk.
Ive never seen a better case for responding with ' if you cant take it , dont dish it out, you've managed to make yourself look an utter bellend after your world cup thread the other day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ive never seen a better case for responding with ' if you cant take it , dont dish it out, you've managed to make yourself look an utter bellend after your world cup thread the other day.
Spot on.

Again!

Well worth re-iterating. If you can't take it, don't dish it out FFS.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Simster - we could easily dig out some cracing efforts that England have managed over the years when they were a supposed power house of international football. Switzerland away in the early 80's, Republic of Ireland at the 1990 World Cup (that was the year by the way Brazil did stop us qualifying). 1994 - you did not even get there. 2006 Euros - you did not even get there.

All of that in a time wqhen wedge was pissing out of the English Premier League and players were on colossal salaries. If the England football team were responsible for delivering revenues for the FA Plc then they would have gone bust years ago.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I actually have very low expectations of England, I have seen us flatter to deceive nearly everytime and as Digweed says, we always seem to come unstuck as soon as we meet a decent team. The list of excuses is as long as my arm but we nearly always end up being beaten in major competitions when we could reasonably have expected to win. Germany on a few occasions, Portugal on a couple and Brazil in one game which we just rolled over in. We will have to start looking a much better side than we did against Mexico for me to get even a liitle bit excited about our prospects. I've said it before but if/when Rooney gets injured, we might as well pack our bags, we really do rely that much on one player imo.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Simster - we could easily dig out some cracing efforts that England have managed over the years when they were a supposed power house of international football. Switzerland away in the early 80's, Republic of Ireland at the 1990 World Cup (that was the year by the way Brazil did stop us qualifying). 1994 - you did not even get there. 2006 Euros - you did not even get there.

All of that in a time wqhen wedge was pissing out of the English Premier League and players were on colossal salaries. If the England football team were responsible for delivering revenues for the FA Plc then they would have gone bust years ago.
No-one is disputing that, it's just that you do the classic thing of wading in on a thread where nobody is bigging up England and insisting that all we do is big up England.

My personal opinion is that Scotland are a two bob football wilderness, our head to head record ought to be a national disgrace to England fans, and I don't consider Scotland to be our rivals as you are far too noddy.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
However - the point I am making amidst the banter is that it is absolutely staggering when you consider England footballers demand and feel they deserve the highest salaries in the world when they are obviously and beyond doubt at best, an better than average team who have an undeniable record for failing to deliver in big tournaments.

Does the same apply to Ryan Giggs? His national team is shite too (although not as bad as Scotland, obviously).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I might be biased as I live here, but I believe Indonesia are far and away the biggest underachievers. The world's fourth biggest population with 230 million people, and unlike India or the USA they absolutely LOVE football. Everyone plays, everyone watches, the world cup gets blanket coverage, there is a Manchester United bar in Jakarta and the premier league, Italian league and German league are all broadcast on local TV. The domestic competition is massively popular. When the main side in Jakarta plays the streets are rammed with the Jakmania, one of the most passionate sets of supporters I've seen anywhere. They get over 60,000 every home game.

Indonesia were the first Asian side to qualify for the World Cup in 1938, and have never qualified since. They've never won the South-east Asian competition, the Tiger Cup. They had never won a single game in the Asian Cup until 2004. Between 2004 and 2007 Pete Withe, the former Aston Villa player, managed the side and lifted them to the high 120's in the fifa rankings, but they've slumped again since.

Of particular note is their repeated failure to beat neighbours and rivals Singapore, who have a population of under 5 million, going down 3-1 in their latest game last year. The U-19 team just lost 7-0 to Japan.

For the size of population and passion for the game its bizarre how bad they are.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
the jocks - every single one of them in the country apparently knows everything there f***ing is to know about football but they still get knocked out in qualifiers by people who eat seabirds, and when they do get to the finals, by people who eat people.

I love this mainly because it made me laugh when i read it , but also because you hooked in Wee Jock McPooplop. Top fishing mate.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Simster - uncomfortable as I am in accepting I could in any way be at fult I realise that ok - i do like a wade in pretty quick on this topic.

I love my country - but to be frank I am also very aware of our social, sporting and economic limitations. Frustration is a very hard thing to wear - when it comes to your football team. It's like saying that Brighton can never have Falmer, take Tony Blook away, Gus leaves and then have people mocking what you can achieve. It is so limiting to have to accept that qualification is the best we can ever expect.

And it is.

However that is why to be fair I did make the statement above that I do not support 'Scotaldn and every team that plays England'. I ama big fan of Murray as a tennis player for the obvious reasons but did not get invovled on NSC when he made that paritcular faux pas about supporting teams who play against England.

Also - I have been slated on here for wading in and yes its true - but in football related issues it would be like having no banter, arguments with Palarse fans. It would be abnormal.

I dont get too involved in having an opinion about non-football related issues on here. I thought it would be recognised as the Sweaty putting his oar in and nothing more.

Seems I got that wrong.

Apologies.

Come on USA!!! :)

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
the jocks - every single one of them in the country apparently knows everything there f***ing is to know about football but they still get knocked out in qualifiers by people who eat seabirds, and when they do get to the finals, by people who eat people.

that is a top insult, must admit:clap:

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
In World Cup parlance, has to be Spain doesn't it, given what they have done at club level over the years.

i agree before they won the euro in 2008 they didnt do anything in any international cup comp,this year they have the best squad to win the world cup

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here