Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

biggest radius of one football club in the uk

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Biggest radius is one thing, but I suppose you must consider the population!

I wouldn't of thought that Cumbria is densely populated. If you look at say Gillingham ( whole of Kent) Brighton (SUSSEX) and Southend (essex) then those teams have huge areas of a populated radius before getting to another league club.

I appreciate this is not allowing for people following Man U and other prem teams, and the fact that most of Essex would be WHU.

So hypothetically, if you had to support your nearest League team,

Who would have the most fans?????

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's interesting. Do you know if the Carlisle one includes scottish teams as well?

I wasn't really thinking in those terms. More the distance from Carlisle to the next closest team in their league, which I think is Newcastle United - 58 miles away.

Norwich City's nearest rivals are 45 miles away.

Ours are 43 miles away.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Must be Plymouth - as no clubs in Cornwall, so nothing west at all.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Biggest radius is one thing, but I suppose you must consider the population!

I wouldn't of thought that Cumbria is densely populated. If you look at say Gillingham ( whole of Kent) Brighton (SUSSEX) and Southend (essex) then those teams have huge areas of a populated radius before getting to another league club.

I appreciate this is not allowing for people following Man U and other prem teams, and the fact that most of Essex would be WHU.

So hypothetically, if you had to support your nearest League team,

Who would have the most fans?????

Southend United is only 40 miles from Colchester United

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I would think maybe one of teams in the south west may push us close as would inverness caladonian thistle.

Only guessing though

ICT is less than 20 miles from Ross County and the 3 SW teams are all in Devon, quite close to each other.

I agree with TLO, Carlisle is more than 40 miles from Newcastle and Queen of the South - although if Workington were still in the league, they'd only be about 25 miles away.

EDIT: Just checked and Carlisle is only 33 miles from Dumfries so it doesn't beat Norwich or Brighton

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm challenging that.

Not the distances, but the (admittedly anecdotal) notion that once you crossed from England into Scotland or vice versa, you wouldn't successfully get one club vying for the support of the people from over the border.

No Liverpool fans in Wrexham or North Wales?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
swansea to cardiff is, the aa reliably inform me, 42 miles

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here