Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest attendance quickest exit

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It kind of does though. A full Amex with 5 minutes to go roaring the team on to get a goal back has to help the team. It emptying on 80 minutes because we're losing seems to be the very definition of plastic. 'Ive come to watch Brighton win but they're not playing well so I'm going home'. And people wonder why the Amex isn't a fortress.

There was also five minutes added time in the second half, so leaving on 80 minutes means you're effectively losing a quarter of an hour of the event you've come to see. That's a big old chunk of time during which anything could have happened; a great escape, a sublime moment of flair, anything at all. Shame only about half of the 29,000 'attendance' seemed to see it that way. Oh well.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Lots of hand wringers in this thread. Live and let live. If people want to go early, they will go. They always have including the Goldstone and Withdean, and always will! At least they turn up every week and that finances our existence at the top end of the Championship.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
It kind of does though. A full Amex with 5 minutes to go roaring the team on to get a goal back has to help the team. It emptying on 80 minutes because we're losing seems to be the very definition of plastic. 'Ive come to watch Brighton win but they're not playing well so I'm going home'. And people wonder why the Amex isn't a fortress.

Every week people come on here and claim some excuse that they have to leave at that point to make it home to see their dying grandmother or something. 15,000 of them all with these pressing needs to get home. Funny how they don't seem to have them when we're winning.

"I don't live in Sussex' is another one we always hear. Were you not aware that the Amex was in Sussex then? Did you not realise how far it was from your house until half way through the game? Why bother coming if it's too far to watch the whole game? There must be other clubs closer where you could enjoy the full 90 minutes.

Every ground has early leavers these days mainly due to the different demographic of football fans in today's sterile Americanised game, but the Amex has to be the worst in the country. It would really piss me off if I was Oscar. If the fans give up, why shouldn't the players?

Maybe because the players are paid to play football and to do their job, which is try and win football games. Fans pay to go to the match and can do as they please.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Its called SUPPORTING the team mate - not f****** off when tbe goi g gets tough!
Our 'support' was largely deadly quiet - perhaps the team thought tbe fans couldnt give a monkehs?!
I heard more noise fromthat bunch of a dozen 10-year old girls in the soutb stand than from my of our support ffs!!

If profesional athletes need a few people singing to perform at their best then perhaps they are in the wrong business.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I always stay to the end out of loyalty (yes loyalty, not bragging about it but also not ashamed to say it but it is about loyalty to my Albion, not deserting a sinking ship, the stiff upper lip, the Dunkirk spirit!).

And admittedly in recent times at the Amex, yes, a small part of me, also now really enjoys a game changing late goal from us so I can laugh at the disloyal who have missed it!!

This

It bothers me though that people have to leave early, maybe they need to get home to see the result on final score.
I wonder how many people left the Yeovil QPR game early on Tuesday night?

It is embarrassing when there is a mass exodus before the final whistle, even if it has been a lacklustre performance from the team.
People who attend football matches know a rough idea of what time the game will end so I don't know why people have to go early just because the have to get home,am I missing something important on TV?
I wonder how many of those who leave early do the same when they go to the cinema?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I'd hazard a guess that those leaving early aren't the most vocal in the ground, so no benefit in them staying until the end if they don't wish to. They won't be the ones raising their voices in encouragement and so won't be missed. If the players or OG notice the ground visibly emptying then they should redirect their concentration to the task in hand: playing football and getting the better of the opposition.

Also, if you are really so devastated that people leaving early has such a huge impact on you post match, I suggest you stop a few of them, offer to pay for their tickets for the next home game, but only on condition that they stay until you say they can leave.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I always stay to the end out of loyalty (yes loyalty, not bragging about it but also not ashamed to say it but it is about loyalty to my Albion, not deserting a sinking ship, the stiff upper lip, the Dunkirk spirit!).

And admittedly in recent times at the Amex, yes, a small part of me, also now really enjoys a game changing late goal from us so I can laugh at the disloyal who have missed it!!

This

It bothers me though that people have to leave early, maybe they need to get home to see the result on final score.
I wonder how many people left the Yeovil QPR game early on Tuesday night?

It is embarrassing when there is a mass exodus before the final whistle, even if it has been a lacklustre performance from the team.
People who attend football matches know a rough idea of what time the game will end so I don't know why people have to go early just because the have to get home,am I missing something important on TV?
I wonder how many of those who leave early do the same when they go to the cinema?

Where do you live?

I get embarrassed by a few things, but not other fans leaving early, perhaps I'm thick skinned ???

The cinema one has been used before, I can leave the cinema early too and not be embarrassed. But for those leaving early yesterday (not me btw) I guess they knew how it ended!

Feb 14, 2010
Brighton get 29000 for lower football and the team lets the fans down again. This has been the story of BHA throughout the generations, whether my time, my Dad's time and back through the generations. There was always a suspicion that Brighton didnt want to go up. At least that can't be said these days, but the minority of BHA on NSC who have hissy fits about people leaving early because the transport is shit at the Amex dont really understand this club. They are similar to the one's who failed to predict that the Amex would be packed t the rafters and is too small for top flight football. Some people understand this club, others buy a replica shirt, no doubt care about the club but well, they dont really understand it because they read the press too much. Hotbed of football? Well Brighton get more than Middlesborough, Darlington and Hartlepool put together and that was back in my Dad's time when they would get 34000 in the Goldstone for Rochdale.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
We were 4-1 down away to Norwich once and I left early.

Shit my support has been worthless, the team don't appreciate me, we are going down. Barber out.

Get a grip people - and stop moaning at each other.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
The cinema one has been used before, I can leave the cinema early too and not be embarrassed.

You can also pick and choose a day and time which is convenient to you, the cinema analogy really is a poor one.

I have left the cinema before the end of the film though, Judge Dredd, bloody awful film, (I wasn't embarrassed).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Christ! So you're obviously happy at the lack of atmosphere and the poor support from such a big crowd?!

It's up to the players to create the atmosphere. People pay money to be entertained.

If a team isn't entertaining or performing and you're expecting the fans to be the ones to create the atmosphere then that's a warped situation.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Has anybody mentioned Wigan v Yeovil last week?

If that doesn't serve as a deterrent to people leaving on 80 minutes I don't know what does!

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Where do you live?

Why does it matter where I live?
If you are going to say that some people live outside of Sussex they need to leave early for this reason did they not think about this when they brought their ticket?
Maybe they could contact the club and the FL to ask if we can arrange earlier kick off times to accommodate them,
Then again they will start moaning when they arrive 10 mins in to the first half due to having to leave home earlier and missing the end of Saturday kitchen]

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
[

The cinema one has been used before, I can leave the cinema early too and not be embarrassed. But for those leaving early yesterday (not me btw) I guess they knew how it ended![/QUOTE]

I wonder if the fans at Yovil QPR game knew how it was going to end?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here