Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big Thank You To Nigel Adkins

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
well on the one hand I think Adkins is an arrogant gobby no-mark scouse git

but then again he was only trying to motivate his players just the same as our management

but the stupid gobshite prick failed big time whereas when Gus does it he does it with class!

:)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Anybody who thinks Gary Dicker or anybody else on the Albion side was 'inspired' by Adkins comments is a bit of a dimwit frankly. Do you really think Dicker was thinking 'Take THAT Adkins!' when he took the first penalty. Or indeed the second penalty.

ah but of course. Gary was only pretending when he said it or was possibly misquoted, albeit at considerable length and in detail (references to the match programme and to the coaching staff talking about it included). Makes sense :thumbsup:

The thought that players can be motivated/pumped up by opponents' derogatory remarks or the lack of credit being given by the media for their achievements is frankly ludicrous.

I mean, why would they be?

I am clearly a complete dumb fucker (well someone round here is anyway) :blush:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The thing is, you do notice (or I do anyway) that the people who usually disagree/argue against the general consensus are always the same people...

That may be the case, but that doesn't mean their opinions aren't genuine, it can just be differing philosophies/politics etc. When the general consensus is "Let's bring back capital punishment" in one thread, and in the next it's "let's ban abortions" , of course the same people are going to argue against them. You get similar differences in attitudes to football, the consensus could be 'fifa are trying to sanitise the game' in one thread, and the next could be 'lousy ref was such a jobsworth', again, the same people will disagree in both threads.

Of course, you then get people like me, I sometimes try to put forward the view that isn't popular because I find it makes for a better discussion to have different views put forward than having everyone agree, or because the sometimes some of the different views that make up the consensus sound like they are coming from people who don't understand or aren't aware of the opposing view (i.e. playing devil's advocate).

Of course, sometimes it's just one poster with a personal grudge against another using it as an excuse to hurl abuse.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ah but of course. Gary was only pretending when he said it or was possibly misquoted, albeit at considerable length and in detail (references to the match programme and to the coaching staff talking about it included). Makes sense :thumbsup:

The thought that players can be motivated/pumped up by opponents' derogatory remarks or the lack of credit being given by the media for their achievements is frankly ludicrous.

Players and managers talk all kinds of bullshit when asked a question by the media. Mostly just to fill the silence. Their answers are invariably stuff they think the media wants to hear. Just listen to any England press conference for example. I repeat, for the hard of understanding, the idea that the Albion win today was in any way down to Adkins comments is laughable. If you believe otherwise, you're a simpleton.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course, sometimes it's just one poster with a personal grudge against another using it as an excuse to hurl abuse.

f*** off :thumbsup: :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

hahahaha well said that man.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Whilst I agree with him talking his team up, much the same as any manager, I just don't understand why the cocky bastard has to talk like a complete prick. All of his words since taking over at St fairy's are coming back to bite him on the arse. I for one find his rantings laughable. When we are Champions, it will be interesting to see what he has to say then. Other than "Scummers are the best team in the play offs"

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
That may be the case, but that doesn't mean their opinions aren't genuine, it can just be differing philosophies/politics etc. When the general consensus is "Let's bring back capital punishment" in one thread, and in the next it's "let's ban abortions" , of course the same people are going to argue against them. You get similar differences in attitudes to football, the consensus could be 'fifa are trying to sanitise the game' in one thread, and the next could be 'lousy ref was such a jobsworth', again, the same people will disagree in both threads.

Of course, you then get people like me, I sometimes try to put forward the view that isn't popular because I find it makes for a better discussion to have different views put forward than having everyone agree, or because the sometimes some of the different views that make up the consensus sound like they are coming from people who don't understand or aren't aware of the opposing view (i.e. playing devil's advocate).

Good points, and I for one freely welcome other peoples opnions, especially ones which contradict mine, because it makes for a more interesting discussion/debate, but as I say most of the people who contradict the general opnion seem to have no/limited arguments, and when asked why they believe this just hurl abuse, which leads me to think they do it just to 'break the mould'.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Whilst I agree with him talking his team up, much the same as any manager, I just don't understand why the cocky bastard has to talk like a complete prick. All of his words since taking over at St fairy's are coming back to bite him on the arse. I for one find his rantings laughable. When we are Champions, it will be interesting to see what he has to say then. Other than "Scummers are the best team in the play offs"

He will probably say that Brighton have been the most consistant team in the league this season because we are so hard to break down, but that Southampton have been the best team in the league by miles.

Didn't Pardew come out with something similar when we beat Reading to the title?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I repeat, for the hard of understanding, the idea that the Albion win today was in any way down to Adkins comments is laughable. If you believe otherwise, you're a simpleton.

Maybe. Then again, the truth is you haven't got a clue what does or doesn't provide extra motivation for our team. And your comments fly in the face of what Dicker says, who has no reason to lie about it, quite the opposite in fact as they ring very true to us simpletons.

The easiest thing in the world at the top is to take your foot off the gas and let things slip, and I think it is highly likely that some of Adkins' comments have helped ensure that does not happen in the run-in, no doubt helpfully stoked by the boy Oatway and others.

Some of his talk about the title has just been plain stupid from a team in their position, exactly the sort of thing rivals for the title might put up on the dressing room wall. And the crazy thing is, he didn't have to say it. Just keep schtum, and tell his own team to catch us. His main target should have been, and remains, automatic promotion. Mouthing off about anything else, he was setting himself up.

I thought Adkins was a mouthy, arrogant twat but I'm warming to him if Dicker reckons he pissed our squad off enough to pull this run out of the fire.

It's easy to forget now we've won all these games, but we were under pressure. We've done what Man Utd have done so many times, instead of going out nervously worrying about who might catch you, crush the spirit of your rivals by showing them a clean pair of heels.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well said Tooting. The Albion are doing a Man Utd, winning ugly but, crucially, showing no signs of nerves. This is an incredible run we're on and clearly something special is happening behind the scenes. Bloom, Poyet, Oatway - it's a potent mix of Jewish business instinct, South American flair and British Bulldog spirit.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He will probably say that Brighton have been the most consistant team in the league this season because we are so hard to break down, but that Southampton have been the best team in the league by miles.

Didn't Pardew come out with something similar when we beat Reading to the title?

Indeed he did. After we'd beaten them 3-1 at Withdean, Pardew was asked: "Where does that leave you?"
He replied: "Still top of the table, where we deserve to be."
Just as they deserved to be in second place on the final day of the season, with us as champions.
Adkins, as I've said before, is Alan Pardew without the humility ...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Maybe. Then again, the truth is you haven't got a clue what does or doesn't provide extra motivation for our team. And your comments fly in the face of what Dicker says, who has no reason to lie about it, quite the opposite in fact as they ring very true to us simpletons.

The easiest thing in the world at the top is to take your foot off the gas and let things slip, and I think it is highly likely that some of Adkins' comments have helped ensure that does not happen in the run-in, no doubt helpfully stoked by the boy Oatway and others.

Absolutely, I'm sure Dicker, Charlie and the rest of the lads get as much pride and pleasure as we do at outclassing SSC, and as much anger as Adkins' stupid posturing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Palace do come down while we go up then Southampton will provide a pretty good stand-in as the team we love to hate.

Adkins, Wendy, Hammond, Harding - I'm loving the banter.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here