Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big screens ??

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
save me trawling through the board, can someone please enlighten me as to wghat is the huge black thing hovering over the WSU ( I see there are two speakers hanging down from it) That is not another screen is it>

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Are you talking about the p.a. speaker attached to the east stand walkway, its a p.a. speaker for the east stand

Edit: I think I can see what you mean, the two speakers are not hanging off the east stand one they are hanging off the west stand walkway

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
save me trawling through the board, can someone please enlighten me as to wghat is the huge black thing hovering over the WSU ( I see there are two speakers hanging down from it) That is not another screen is it>

Look again.

Have you seen that episode of Father Ted, where Ted is explaining perspective, to Dougal?

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009

Its called the speaker in the east stand.

Great optical illusion!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Its called the speaker in the east stand.

Great optical illusion!

he he...you are right. I must wear my reading glasses more often.

cheers mate

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The big screens don't actually strike me as being that big.

I'm sure they'll be perfectly adequate for some...

Albion 3
Palace 0

....scoreboard action. But for video replays and the like, are they going to be up to the job? HKFC, are they?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
They strike me as utterly massive for the size of the stadium, sure they're no Wembley but then there's only 22,500 of us.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion 3
Palace 0

....scoreboard action. But for video replays and the like, are they going to be up to the job? HKFC, are they?

I've heard HKFC is claiming his 'expertise' based on the fact he has a 50 inch Samsung at home and nothing more...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Albion 3
Palace 0

I don't have the exact dimensions. I'll ask for the specifications. Just from looking, the smaller South stand one isn't going to be overly amazing, for those viewing from the North. Its the about the same size as the ones at Villa Park. Adequate rather than spectacular.

The one in the North is big.

Video replays won't be an issue for either. Where you might see limitations on the smaller one, is when they display multiple lines of text. Almost certainly they will be driving them from a single control system, with information formatted to fit both displays. What is ideal for the bigger one, might look a bit compressed on the other. These guys are pretty good though, they'll have thought it all through.

They strike me as utterly massive for the size of the stadium, sure they're no Wembley but then there's only 22,500 of us.

The stadium capacity is of little relevance. Its all about the viewing distances. They are not that much longer at Wembley. Ours are about 140m maximum, Wembley's about 170m.

My "expertise" on screen size is based on the experience of my lad, installing software for a 108 metre wide screen at a racecourse in Dubai.

Unless you are about 1km away from a screen that size ... it's pointless. As well as being ridiculously expensive. But that's Dubai for you.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Looks like it's working OK.

score.jpg

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Where you might see limitations on the smaller one, is when they display multiple lines of text.

That won't matter.
Most of the ruffians in the NS can't read anyway.
Everybody else can just look at the larger screen.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Who gets the remote controls?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

But for video replays and the like, are they going to be up to the job? HKFC, are they?

I don't have the exact dimensions. I'll ask for the specifications. Just from looking, the smaller South stand one isn't going to be overly amazing, for those viewing from the North. Its the about the same size as the ones at Villa Park. Adequate rather than spectacular.

The one in the North is big.

Video replays won't be an issue for either. Where you might see limitations on the smaller one, is when they display multiple lines of text. Almost certainly they will be driving them from a single control system, with information formatted to fit both displays. What is ideal for the bigger one, might look a bit compressed on the other. These guys are pretty good though, they'll have thought it all through.

The stadium capacity is of little relevance. Its all about the viewing distances. They are not that much longer at Wembley. Ours are about 140m maximum, Wembley's about 170m.

Is the South Stand screen just a couple of iPads (2nd generation) stuck together?

Okay, panic over. Ignore what I said about the South Stand one above. The webcam is obviously very misleading, as apparently they are identical.

Both are 4.4m high x 9.5m wide. (288 x 624 15mm pixels, for those who care).

More than adequate.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I feel sorry for those North Stand STH's who booked their seats in the back couple of rows behind the screen because they won't be allowed to stand up otherwise they will block the bottom of the picture :lol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Okay, panic over. Ignore what I said about the South Stand one above. The webcam is obviously very misleading, as apparently they are identical.

Both are 4.4m high x 9.5m wide. (288 x 624 15mm pixels, for those who care).

More than adequate.

So if they are identical I wonder why they are built differently. Ie South has less bracketing and has less number of individual screens to make up the whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here