• BIG FAT AND UGLY

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • GUSTAVO

Votes: 101 92.7%

• Total voters

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
This SHOULD be a no brainer, but then this is NSC.

Would you rather have BFS as Albion Boss and have to suffer that every week, BUT GET RESULTS.

OR

Have Gus at the helm with our excellent passing game, albeit a bit toothless at the moment. ??????

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Gus had the money to spend that Big Sam's team must have cost in wages and transfers we would have dismantled West Ham, imo.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
ANYTHING that gets a WIN, is fine with me. Gus' tippy tappy football would be great if we had the players to execute it. But we don't and there is simply no penetration.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Tippy tappy is fine, love the passing game, a bit more steel wouldn't go amiss though - an ALL-ROUND midfield general to play in front of the pocket battleship that is Liam Bridcutt.

Someone in the mould of Graeme Souness in his prime

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Tippy tappy is fine, love the passing game, a bit more steel wouldn't go amiss though - an ALL-ROUND midfield general to play in front of the pocket battleship that is Liam Bridcutt.

Someone in the mould of Graeme Souness in his prime

This. This league is about Precision Passing, Pace & Power. Sooner Gus wises up to this the BETTER.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Why are you offering just two styles? Isn't it also about execution? Can't we vary it .. have a Plan B and Plan C .. would anyone complain about style had we won it 1-0 regardless of the style?

As an Albion supporter I come to see our team win - it would be wrong to say I don't care what it looks like but winning is the most important objective. At the end of the season if Allardyce get's West ham promoted it's job done ... and what will their fans be thinking ... it didn't look pretty?

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
If you're interested in a neutral point of view, and yes even some Palace fans can do that, you play the game the way it's meant to be played and pleasing on the eye, however every team knows how you will play and can plan for it and it appears you don't have the players, or maybe the desire, to be able to change things either for a particular game or indeed during a game. Last night, in my opinion, the ball was moved so slowly across the back allowing WH to get behind the ball, obviously the ploy is to draw the opposition onto you but as I've already said teams are wise to it, the same applies to Arsenal for example where teams allow them to play numerous passes and then defend the last 20 yards or so, as with Arsenal you will have games where you will cut through the defence and score 2 or 3 goals, similarly though frustration creeps in if you are unable to break the team down and as with last night, 1 goal decides games.

You have some very good players and will score lots of 'perfect' goals, but you have and will again come up against teams who have the ability to do what it takes to stay in this division, I hope and think you will too, but pretty football alone won't gaurantee that, in my opinion.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
If you're interested in a neutral point of view, and yes even some Palace fans can do that, you play the game the way it's meant to be played and pleasing on the eye, however every team knows how you will play and can plan for it and it appears you don't have the players, or maybe the desire, to be able to change things either for a particular game or indeed during a game. Last night, in my opinion, the ball was moved so slowly across the back allowing WH to get behind the ball, obviously the ploy is to draw the opposition onto you but as I've already said teams are wise to it, the same applies to Arsenal for example where teams allow them to play numerous passes and then defend the last 20 yards or so, as with Arsenal you will have games where you will cut through the defence and score 2 or 3 goals, similarly though frustration creeps in if you are unable to break the team down and as with last night, 1 goal decides games.

You have some very good players and will score lots of 'perfect' goals, but you have and will again come up against teams who have the ability to do what it takes to stay in this division, I hope and think you will too, but pretty football alone won't gaurantee that, in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more with this

How many times did we work it into the opposition third, and then constantly go from side to side or backwards because they were so well organised that we just couldn't break through. A plan B is needed, and whether it is Poyet's stuborness in not realising this or the fact we lack the players to have one, something needs to change

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
Couldn't agree more with this

How many times did we work it into the opposition third, and then constantly go from side to side or backwards because they were so well organised that we just couldn't break through. A plan B is needed, and whether it is Poyet's stuborness in not realising this or the fact we lack the players to have one, something needs to change

I'm not saying that it's not possible to succeed playing the way you do, Swansea did it very well last season but the key thing was that didn't conceed very often, teams just couldn't get the ball because they were so good at keeping posession, they certainly had better players at the back than you currently have. If you don't start getting results soon the natural tendancy is for frustration to kick in and the belief goes, the ball gets hoofed and to be fair you don't have the players to win the ball in the air up front and hold it.

You have Barnsley and Coventry at home next, two teams that know what it takes to hang on, they will set up to deal with your style and hope for the best, if you take an early lead against teams like these they will have to come at you and then your style of play with the players that you have will shine through, the longer it stays level though the more they grow in belief and yours will fade.

In answer to the opening posters question, you've got to be able to play both ways, WH played nice football against us but when they fell behind where able to change things and get a result.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think Gus's style is something that can be improved upon i.e. With better players. Improve on Albion, the same style of play will get you Swansea. Improve agian and the same style of play will get you Arsenal. Improve again and the same style of play will get you Barca.

With BFS all you get is a limited style of play. He has no plan B either. Yes it will work to a certain level which is probably where Stoke sit. Nothing wrong in that, but its the reason why he will never manage England

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
In answer to the opening posters question, you've got to be able to play both ways, WH played nice football against us but when they fell behind where able to change things and get a result.

Good point, indeed I'd go on to say play all ways. I haven't seen West Ham since Allardyce took over and know some of his stuff isn't pretty but I'm bloody sure he came here and played his team that way very specifically to deal with our way - and if he did all credit to him (even though I can't stand him). We've got to be able to mix it up a bit have a "Brighton style" but with different styles for different situations both pre game and in game.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
When i was taught to play football i was told never to pass it across the back, we seem to do that far to often, we made one big mistake and it cost as a goal, we also made a couple of others, Faubert towards the end should have scored really. I am happy how we pass the ball about but now and then a hoof ball ant going to hurt. It does clear the danger.

Also Sam gets results people seem to think his a shit manager but i really dont he done well at many clubs turned Bolton into a European side

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why are you offering just two styles? Isn't it also about execution? Can't we vary it .. have a Plan B and Plan C .. would anyone complain about style had we won it 1-0 regardless of the style?

As an Albion supporter I come to see our team win - it would be wrong to say I don't care what it looks like but winning is the most important objective. At the end of the season if Allardyce get's West ham promoted it's job done ... and what will their fans be thinking ... it didn't look pretty?

That is EXACTLY what the West Ham fans were saying in the away end last night. The one's I spoke to said if anything they were pissed off that they won because they were simply so awful. They thought we played some excellent football and simply needed someone else alongside Macca up front.

Having watched the game back now on the tellybox, I am more than satisfied with the majority of our performace. We really are not too far away from being play off candidates, but we will have to wait til January to see if we stump up some cash for a striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here