Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big Fat Pikey Weddings

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This.

Very strange. The dressmaker must make a FORTUNE. The Holy Communion dress was unreal - weighing more then the poor child who had to wear it.

Compelling viewing.

That's what I thought. I bet when she first made a dress for the travellers, the other local businesses laughed at her, thinking she'd get mugged. But now, I'd imagine her reputation amongst the travellers community keeps her in business all year round. Bearing in mind they are known to spend £30,000 on a dress, and it's probably all cash up front, she must be MINTED.

There were many glorious moments, but I did like it when Swanley the groom changed into his wifebeater vest as soon as the ceremony was over and they were into the reception. There was his missus, dressed up like Priscilla, Queen of the Desert for the biggest day of her life, and he's leading her into their first dance in a VEST.

Outstanding:lolol:

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Swanley comes from a Kent based gypsy family. It is a tradition to name their children after the town nearest to the lay-by their caravan was parked in when they were born. That's not too bad for his younger brothers Maidstone, Dover and Ashford and his sister Lydd. Unfortunately he has an older brother called Great Mongeham.

Please explain 'grabbing' for those of us that missed the programme - it is the second time I've heard the term in relation to that programme today. I might be tempted to 4OD later.

It seems to me that grabbing is a way for the young men (who are equally 'moral' when it comes to sex before marriage within the gypsy community) to find out more about the girls that they will choose their wife from. If the girl succumbs to the advances of the boy, she's a slut who won't make a suitable wife. If she resists, she's marriageable. And everyone gets to know this.

The Irish traveller family I was most familiar with when I lived in Sutton Coldfield was the dynasty of Pat Collins. He ran a massive empire of travelling funfairs (and had a permanent funfair in Sutton Park, which doubled up as winter quarters for the business). The whole family were hard working and hugely wealthy. And the weddings / funerals were like nothing I'd ever seen.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No but have seen a similar one in Mid Sussex when one of the Brazil family died. Massive occasion.

I think the next episode of BFGW (tonight?) is about funerals.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
No but have seen a similar one in Mid Sussex when one of the Brazil family died. Massive occasion.

I think the next episode of BFGW (tonight?) is about funerals.

This is repeated tonight 2300 C4 if you missed it when at the football on Tuesday. Hedgehogtastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here