Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big decision time - my PS3 just died!!!

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Did you notice Xbox users dignified silence on here during the frankly hilarious PSN crash?

Like this?

Is that the sorry for their massive f*** up of PSN?

I know I'd be delighted. Still, get what you (don't) pay for I suppose. If something is free, there can't be any expectation of a good level of service.

The PSN hacking might only just be on a par with the Xbox's red ring of death. Thing is Playstation got it sorted fairly quickly...

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Last nite I was walking though Brighton and I saw a PS3 start some trouble with an Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 kicked the PS3's ass.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
After having two xbox360's dying on me I got a PS3 slim on release date and not a problem with it mean time I'd have broken another two 360s.

The 360 warrenty does sound good though as a cover. I'd stick with your PS3 as you've already got games and pads and friend on there. When I had the 360 I liked it very much it was just the reliability of it and the charge to play a game online when I'd already brought the game and paying for the internet that made me switch.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Sorry to hear about your poorly PS3 and I hope you get it fixed. I've no experience of having them repaired as my original 60gb PS3 which I've owned for a good few years now has never once had a problem (touch wood).

The important thing here is not to be tempted by going for the inferior Xbox 360 machine as a replacement. It isn't anywhere near as good and you won't be able to play any of your existing games without buying them again. Furthermore the chances are it will only f*** up later down the line too, like they ALL do.

Do yourself a favour and see how much the repair will cost. It can't be as expensive as replacing it and life without it, long term, could well be unbearable.

D

Deleted member 18477

buy another ps3. i couldnt live without the added bonus of having a blu ray player. only game i really play to be honest is fifa 11 so xbox and wii would be pretty wasted on me.

p.s. ive had my ps3 since early 2007, never had a problem and i use it most days for fifa online, downloading films, watching dvd's and iplayer.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Our Wii died the other week, and we are currently looking for somewhere to repair it, perhaps. But it got me thinking, if I do change to something else, they've all been around quite a while now haven't they? I'm no expert on these things, but Xbox and PS3 have both been around years, are either (or both) anywhere near launching the next console?

Wouldn't want to move onto PS3, just as they are about to bring out the PS4, or the Xbox Extreme is preparing to hit the pre-Christmas streets.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Our Wii died the other week, and we are currently looking for somewhere to repair it, perhaps. But it got me thinking, if I do change to something else, they've all been around quite a while now haven't they? I'm no expert on these things, but Xbox and PS3 have both been around years, are either (or both) anywhere near launching the next console?

Wouldn't want to move onto PS3, just as they are about to bring out the PS4, or the Xbox Extreme is preparing to hit the pre-Christmas streets.

PS4 won't be anytime soon as there's no need...

http://playstationsolutions.com/?p=584

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Thanks for all the help, advice and condolances.

I think I'm going to try and get it repaired by Diamond Computers in Brighton. It's about £70. Mine is the old 60gb version so I think it's worth it.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I think its that yellow light of death thing. And it's eaten my Fifa 11.

This is the second time this has happned. Has anyone tried that shop up from Preston Circus that advertises PS3 repair?

Otherwise it's buy another one, buy an Xbox, buy a Wii or dust of my old PS2.

:cry:

199 for 160gb slim on amazon delivered, I know this as im on my new one after my original 60gb died terminally after ylod repair (that cost £80 and lasted 6 weeks)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Nintendo are bringing out the Wii U next year

Wii U at E3 2011 E3.GAME.co.uk

Sounds decent, bit of a wait though. I expect Sony and Microsoft will react within a year or so of that being released, so there's nothing on the immediate horizon (and even if there was, you generally find they are backward-compatible these days). I'd recommend a PS3 if you're thinking of investing. Lovely bit of kit, a true home-hub of entertainment.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I had the original Xbox (which was modded), the original 360 and now the new shape 360. Never had a single one die on me.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I just hope the next generation (probably another two years off) gives up stupid obsession with motion controls eugh.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
199 for 160gb slim on amazon delivered, I know this as im on my new one after my original 60gb died terminally after ylod repair (that cost £80 and lasted 6 weeks)

That's the one I have. Does your yellow and green lights blink? I originally thought it was a sign of the HD working, like on my laptop, but I'm not sure now.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Best purchase you'll EVER make

It's up against some pretty stiff competition for that award. There was this lapdance in Spearmint Rhino, Bournemouth .... wow, would take something to top THAT as my best ever purchase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here