Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Big day for ladies of a certain age today

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's pretty disgusting the system we've created means the majority of people work for most of their lives

isnt this a great improvement from when there were no pensions? what would you propose doing instead?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It's pretty disgusting the system we've created means the majority of people work for most of their lives

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Indeed the majority work(you and me included). The minority think that they are owed a living ! And your system would be ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
something i dont understand is the framing of the argument, that because reasons women have less time to save for retirement so this adversely affects them. they have more years to save to retirement as a result of the change. yes, there is an issue for those unable to find work at 60, the same for men though, and a separate issue.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Male ife expectancy in the UK when the old age pension was introduced was 52, it's not 86. I'd say a 34-year increase in a 100 years is a pretty hefty one.

86? Where have you got those stats from? I thought it was 80-81, which essentially leaves 15 years of retirement, which is roughly what the average has been now for 10-20 years. And just because life expectancy increases, doesn’t mean the quality of your life does. Ultimately, no matter how much medicine increases to keep people alive, an 86 year old is still an 86 year old with a body to suit. If you’re not retiring until 70-75, you’ve got very few years with any life quality to truly enjoy that freedom, and if that is the case, where’s the benefit of working all those years?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I hope we don't start a war with some unsuspecting country within the next ten years , the trenches will be full of 70 year olds with trigger happy arthritic fingers , retire at 75 ffs yes lovely if you only have to work 2 hours a week and spend the rest of it asleep on the back benches , wtf are these politicians on , i want some of it .

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
86? Where have you got those stats from? I thought it was 80-81, which essentially leaves 15 years of retirement, which is roughly what the average has been now for 10-20 years. And just because life expectancy increases, doesn’t mean the quality of your life does. Ultimately, no matter how much medicine increases to keep people alive, an 86 year old is still an 86 year old with a body to suit. If you’re not retiring until 70-75, you’ve got very few years with any life quality to truly enjoy that freedom, and if that is the case, where’s the benefit of working all those years?
This is what I meant with my post

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hope we don't start a war with some unsuspecting country within the next ten years , the trenches will be full of 70 year olds with trigger happy arthritic fingers , retire at 75 ffs yes lovely if you only have to work 2 hours a week and spend the rest of it asleep on the back benches , wtf are these politicians on , i want some of it .

I'm more worried about fire fighters who have to work to 67, and not allowed to transfer to light duties if they have health issues, but just get thrown out.
Imagine waiting to be saved from a fire by an 'oap'.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I was 18 months the right side of the change. You may not realise that our generation looked after children before they started school, so couldn't pay in all the contributions needed. We were told our husband's contributions would cover us, but then many of us divorced so that didn't count.
We were told that receiving child allowance would cover us, but we didn't get it for the first child, so you had to have 2 children to qualify.
When I returned to work in 1976, there were very few part time jobs available. They were like gold dust.
I wanted to join my company's pension scheme but was told part timers couldn't join it. Eventually I went full time a decade later, to get some pension cover.
I was in a union, who, in the late 90s, found all the people who were refused pension schemes, were female, so chose 6 test cases to take to court, for sex discrimination.
We finally won, and were awarded the years we'd missed, less whatever payments we would have made.

Thank God for the EU regulations on sex discrimination and employment law which helped us.

Don't let any man tell us that we should have prepared ourselves for it. It was supposed to be a gradual transition but actually changed over just 5 years, and then jumped to 67.

Moaning as usual. Why should I pay for you and others like you to have a cushty long retirement? I could well be working until I'm 75!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Moaning as usual. Why should I pay for you and others like you to have a cushty long retirement? I could well be working until I'm 75!

Grabbing the wrong end of the stick as usual Husty.
I was explaining why some women were unable to save towards their pension.

If you'd read my post correctly, you would have realised, I paid full stamp (ask an oldie what that is) so I get full pension plus some SERPS, and a partial private pension (the union test case gave you a clue) so you aren't paying for me.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Should men not be able to retire earlier based on life expectancy? *canofworms*

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Grabbing the wrong end of the stick as usual Husty.
I was explaining why some women were unable to save towards their pension.

If you'd read my post correctly, you would have realised, I paid full stamp (ask an oldie what that is) so I get full pension plus some SERPS, and a partial private pension (the union test case gave you a clue) so you aren't paying for me.

Sounds like you dont understand how the state pension is funded

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sounds like you dont understand how the state pension is funded

I pay income tax on my pension which goes into the Treasury.
Do you know how education is paid for, or the NHS?

I'm sure you used both before leaving university.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I pay income tax on my pension which goes into the Treasury.
Do you know how education is paid for, or the NHS?

I'm sure you used both before leaving university.

Those things are essential to the functioning of our society, women getting to put their feet up for 30+ years? Not quite so much

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Am I right in thinking that anyone who reached retirement age after early April 2016 can no longer defer their pension and later take it as a lump sum? I gather you are now obliged to just take it with the increased amounts per week added to the state pension, whereas before you had a choice?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here