Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

big country

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Didn't even realise Adamson was dead. Not a great band from what I remember, kind of grasping at Jim Kerr's coat tails as Simple Minds themselves tried and failed to keep pace with U2 as the 80s 'stadium band' phenomenom rolled on.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Trufflehound said:
'Tis true, but their rendition of In a Big Country and Bowie doing Time were good enough to forgive them both. Just. The rest was quite forgettable. In fact, I've forgotten what else they played.

If I remember rightly, Bowie entered the stage by coming down on a chair suspended form the roof of the stage (belly of the spider) singing "Up the Hill Backwards" which was a promising start, but it soon developed into a pretty average show.

I got bored and wandered around and met an old school mate, Miles Clark, who had a job as steward, he only did it to get into the gig, and he was pretty unimpressed too.

I spent all my formative years being a huge Bowie fan, saw him twice, Serious Moonlight and Glass Spider. Both were rotten :(

And I even liked Tin Machine

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Fantastic band. Saw them at the Leas Cliffe Hall, Folkestone, on the Buffalo Skinners tour. Devistated when I heard the news about Adamson, and can still rember hearing it on the radio.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seen them around 8 times - East of Eden is my favourite, top band

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Superphil said:
If I remember rightly, Bowie entered the stage by coming down on a chair suspended form the roof of the stage (belly of the spider) singing "Up the Hill Backwards" which was a promising start, but it soon developed into a pretty average show.

I got bored and wandered around and met an old school mate, Miles Clark, who had a job as steward, he only did it to get into the gig, and he was pretty unimpressed too.

I spent all my formative years being a huge Bowie fan, saw him twice, Serious Moonlight and Glass Spider. Both were rotten :(

And I even liked Tin Machine

It was the worst Bowie Tour ever by a mile. Serious Moonlight and "The Singles" tours were the best and also saw Tin Machines at Wolverhampton Civic Hall.

The best was Serious Moonlight Tour at Brixton Academy - cost me an arm and a leg from a tout but needs must.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
El Presidente said:
Saw Stuart Adamson when he was with The Skids in 1979 just after 'Into the Valley' was released at the Top Rank. Richard Jobson came onto stage in enormous pantaloons and was covered in gob within 30 seconds.

Didn't Adamson drink himself to death?
I saw them there twice 1978, 1979? Remember being in Glasgow for a Xmas do just after Adamson died & asked for a Big Country song to be played. The DJ couldn't be bothered.

northstandnorth said:
He went missing after watching the Republic of Ireland play Iran in a World Cup qualifying match on television in a bar on 15 November.
It was a pretty dire game to be honest.

Not a great fan, but liked Chance, "Oh Lord where did the feeling go", and the song about the Falklands, Where the Rose is Sown.

we're at war all the papers say
we will win i read today
we are strong it wasn't us
we are right, who started this?
leave your work i just left school
leave your home i am no fool
take up arms it left me strong
sound alarms the school bell rings

sons of men who stand like gods
we give life to feed the cause
and run to ground our heathen foe
our name will never die
this time will be forever

join up here i wave goodbye
we need you, oh my breast sighs
have no fear i must try
god will be with braver men
take the vow i know its right
praise the flag the good fight
we're at war i'm on my way
we will win, why do i pray ?
i wait here in this hole
playing poker with my soul
i hold the rifle close to me
it lights the way to keep me free
if i die in a combat zone
box me up and ship me home
if i die and still come home
lay me where the rose is sown

sons of men who stand like gods
we give life to feed the cause
and run to ground our heathen foe
our name will never die
this time will be forever

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No
Yes, several
Yes

Big Country had a unique sound, playing guitars to make them sound like bagpipes. Also, nothing like Simple Minds as they were so different.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Skids came and played at Longhill School one afternoon, I saw the gig El Pres - very good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here